The Man of Chimes(?) Solo. AKA Invisible Pallegina

DiabloStorm

Question

So, continuing my solo run, and choosing not to talk to Pallegina at all due to her buggy save import induced dialogue, I leave her in Queen's Berth and return to Delver's Row. Upon returning, I see the dead godlike all of a sudden, inspect him and talk to the Thug on the bridge...but then I get this...

Wtf?

RJJuIok.gif

hy5KG24.jpgjQcXSkf.png

Edited by DiabloStorm

18 answers to this question

A nasty bug. You should put this into the technical support forum I guess?

Oh, crap, wrong forum.

Well, I reported my own post so that they will hopefully move it to technical support but now I'm curious to see how active they actually are on here these days.

Edited by DiabloStorm

Well no cost is not correct. They have to pay the QA guys to answer all your bug reports and put them into the ticket system for the devs - then test after they go fixed.

It's impossible for humans to deliver a bug free software (if it's complex) and stay at reasonable costs/prices. If you like the game and want to contribute then that's fine. Most bug reports lead to a fix. If you don't that's also fine.

Just don't expect a bug free game unless we get KI to do all the programming.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well no cost is not correct. They have to pay the QA guys to answer all your bug reports and put them into the ticket system for the devs - then test after they go fixed.

It's impossible for humans to deliver a bug free software (if it's complex) and stay at reasonable costs/prices. If you like the game and want to contribute then that's fine. Most bug reports lead to a fix. If you don't that's also fine.

Just don't expect a bug free game unless we get KI to do all the programming.

I'm a bit concerned that I see tech support posts dated in May but the issues remain in the game...are they too busy with turn based mode? This is just me...but I would prioritize fixing bugs over adding features but perhaps it's the features that they think will drive sales so, what do I know :(

NetHack is damn near bug free. It's complex. It's also one of the greatest computer games ever made. It also costs nothing.

In general, you obviously have a good point, no question. But I do think that the phenomenon of "our consumers are going to help us enormously by finding bugs and reporting them to us" leads to sloppier programming than is necessary.

• Like 1

I only speak from my own experience as a software engineer, but that is not really the plan: to leave bugs for the customers to find when developing software because it's cheap. In fact the reputation loss is most likely going to cost you more money.

You can of course develop very robust software. But you need experts and establish certain procedures - strict standards, guidelines also schooling You also need time. As I understand it the game industry lacks developers and at the same time treats them poorly, always has deadlines and crunch time and also doesn't pay too well. So what can you expect? The only thing that delivers awesome games nowadays is strong dedication and passion it seems. Those things don't help too much with bugs though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

NetHack is damn near bug free. It's complex. It's also one of the greatest computer games ever made. It also costs nothing.

In general, you obviously have a good point, no question. But I do think that the phenomenon of "our consumers are going to help us enormously by finding bugs and reporting them to us" leads to sloppier programming than is necessary.

NetHack?  Didn't the April 2018 patch provide a little more than 130 logged bugs (with 5 still open a year later)?

Although to be fair, NetHack was originally released in 1987, so maybe PoEII will be "near bug free" in 30+ years?

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Boeroer: Yep, I cannot disagree with any of that. It's not a good industry to be in. And obviously nobody plans to leave bugs in the code for consumers to spot. But I would still argue that the knowledge of how the industry has begun to work (a game is released, consumers report bugs, bugs are fixed, consumers report bugs, etc.) has an effect on how people in fact operate. In fact, given human nature, it would be very difficult for it not to affect how people operate. There is no blame attached to this statement, mind you. I don't envy any software developer.

Amentep: It did, yes. But you'd be quite hard-pressed to encounter anything that is more than cosmetic. This stuff does exist, but it's really astonishingly rare. Your point concerning its original release is obviously relevant, too.

Edited by xzar_monty

Hey Diablo,

I'm sorry you ran into this issue with Pallegina on your solo run and thank you for reporting it.  Would you happen to still have a save where we can see this occur for testing purposes?  If you do, that would be great!  You can find information on where the saves are located here.  If you could send it to me at support@obsidian.net along with a link to this thread as a reference, that would be amazing.

I'm sorry if you've been running into a bunch of bugs during your playthrough.  It is not our intent to have the community find bugs for us, but we do greatly appreciate all the help everyone has done to help make Deadfire better than it would have been without all the reports and feedback.  Deadfire is a pretty large game with so many things that change depending on how people play or what choices they make that every extra bit of help makes a huge difference.

Thanks again and sorry for the inconveniences the bugs have been causing.

• Like 2

When is Obsidian going to start paying me for finding all of their bugs for them?

giphy.gif

This is my dropbox folder for just deadfire bugs. And this is after I culled it for all the issues I reported pre 1.2 and issues that had been clearly fixed and weren't getting any further views.

post-58316-0-37367500-1551993789_thumb.png

edit - also, even if nethack is complex, there's a difference in types of complexity. netflix is mechanically complex, sure. but it's at its heart a very simple program. you don't have to worry about shaders or threading in nethack coding.

edit 2 - I had to cull in the first place because I was hitting the Dropbox free storage limit. Keep in mind that I only use Dropbox to store but reports for PoE1 and Deadfire.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Hey Diablo,

I'm sorry you ran into this issue with Pallegina on your solo run and thank you for reporting it.  Would you happen to still have a save where we can see this occur for testing purposes?  If you do, that would be great!  You can find information on where the saves are located here.  If you could send it to me at support@obsidian.net along with a link to this thread as a reference, that would be amazing.

I'm sorry if you've been running into a bunch of bugs during your playthrough.  It is not our intent to have the community find bugs for us, but we do greatly appreciate all the help everyone has done to help make Deadfire better than it would have been without all the reports and feedback.  Deadfire is a pretty large game with so many things that change depending on how people play or what choices they make that every extra bit of help makes a huge difference.

Thanks again and sorry for the inconveniences the bugs have been causing.

Hey, thank you for the reply, I greatly appreciate that and it's good to know you guys still have presence here. Luckily I have been meticulous with my saves and could probably pull up save points from just about everything I've reported, I just gotta do some quick search through my saves and you'll have the one that's right there in delver's row.

• Like 1

So, I left the godlike alone, didn't even start this quest, thus I don't have it in my log....so why exactly am I seeing even more stray dialogue like this? Giacolo is a part of that quest, that of which I don't have and as far as my character goes, has never heard that name before, why exactly would I be looking for someone I don't yet know of?

RcablIK.jpg

I just happened to randomly run into this person, not actually remembering who "Giacolo" is (from the bugged quest above), I had to yet again do another google search to remember, only to ultimately realize that this is more out-of-the-blue context-less dialogue from this same quest of which I don't even have active.

Edited by DiabloStorm

Funny - I don't even see that person if I don't have Pallegina in the party (but have her on the rooster) AND didn't start her quest. 

Something in your savegame is totally borked.

Edited by Boeroer