Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire Polishing Thread

polishing balance bugs

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

Ensign

Ensign

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 203 posts

There has been a lot of good discussion about the state of priests, and some options there with their own pros and cons.

Aside from those discussions, the priest spell list lacks the workhorse spells other casters have in the early levels.  While martial characters get their core abilities from the very beginning and other casters have a mix of niche utility and general purpose power picks for their spells, the early priest spell lists are noticeably lacking in staples that you can fall back on to always get some value out of that spell level.

This isn't so much a problem later in the game, as spell levels 6-9 contain a variety of high value spell picks despite their small selection.  Early on though priests really struggle to pull their weight, as spell levels 2, 5, and to some extent 3 are pretty thin.

More than mechanical changes, the low hanging fruit for the priest is some more depth at those spell levels, either via reworking existing spells or expanded spell lists.

• thelee and brasilgringo like this

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1731 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

There has been a lot of good discussion about the state of priests, and some options there with their own pros and cons.

Aside from those discussions, the priest spell list lacks the workhorse spells other casters have in the early levels.  While martial characters get their core abilities from the very beginning and other casters have a mix of niche utility and general purpose power picks for their spells, the early priest spell lists are noticeably lacking in staples that you can fall back on to always get some value out of that spell level.

This isn't so much a problem later in the game, as spell levels 6-9 contain a variety of high value spell picks despite their small selection.  Early on though priests really struggle to pull their weight, as spell levels 2, 5, and to some extent 3 are pretty thin.

More than mechanical changes, the low hanging fruit for the priest is some more depth at those spell levels, either via reworking existing spells or expanded spell lists.

Yeah AL2 always feels a bit thin for my characters, though I think AL5 is actually really good. I have more problems with AL6 because for some reason it only has 4 spells and only Wael gets a bonus spell that isn't already in the AL6 row so priests end up pretty similar at AL6.

Ensign

Ensign

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 203 posts

Yeah AL2 always feels a bit thin for my characters, though I think AL5 is actually really good. I have more problems with AL6 because for some reason it only has 4 spells and only Wael gets a bonus spell that isn't already in the AL6 row so priests end up pretty similar at AL6.

The nice thing AL5 has going for it is a couple really strong spells (Champion's Boon, Barring Death's Door) that you can absolutely build around for maximum effect, and Skaen is fortunate to get Shadowing Beyond here.  On the other hand if you don't have elements in your party to take advantage of those it's pretty thin.  AL6 ends up being pretty generic but all 4 spells are both solid and possibly excepting SoT general purpose, so I have never had trouble getting value out of this tier.

Big difference between AL2 and AL5 is you can build around the AL5 stuff to good effect, while there's nothing in AL2 worth building around.  How good is your Spiritual Weapon maybe?  Holy Meditation is really good sometimes but most of the time...eh.  Withdraw story NPCs you want to keep alive, it lasts too long on player characters.

It's crazy because AL2 had a ton of good stuff in PoE1, they just moved it all out of the tier for Deadfire.  Consecrated Ground was fantastic in the original, then moved to AL3 here and the nuked from orbit in the balance patch.  Suppress Affliction still quite good, but moved down to AL1.  Divine Mark, pushed up to AL3.  No more Restore in higher tiers (in favor of a powerhouse Restore in AL1).    Iconic Projection goes from a generic but modest and super spammable with its fast cast to a slow spell.  So there's probably some juggling you could do with spell levels and cast times to clean this up.

But the current list...blech.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2444 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Guys, I've finally assembled the poll.

You can take a preliminary sneak peek here:

Would you like to see any last moment changes? If yes, write them right now. If no: I'll post a new link tomorrow morning, and the poll shall begin.

Edited by MaxQuest, 25 March 2019 - 09:49 AM.

• Phenomenum likes this

Taudis

Taudis

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 91 posts

While we're on the subject of Priest (again), I personally think the Prayers/Litanies could go from 0.5/3.0 cast and 60 sec duration to 0.5/0.0 cast and 30 sec duration (duration shorter to be more in line with other 0.5/0.0 buffs). It'd do a lot to make the priest list feel more full, since they'd become more desirable picks in the way that other classes' fast inspirations are.

Iconic Projection could be 0.5/4.0. I also think it would be nice if it got boosted 20 base damage to be symmetrical with its healing effect. For what it's worth, Corrosive Siphon effectively has base damage 24/heal 24 in AoE and it's also AL2.

Spiritual Weapon really ought to be a 0.5/0.0 spell. I feel like the devs made it cast slower to prevent it from being an effective super Quick Switch but it has a lot of action time competition for what is essentially a DPS spell.

The Priest subs could all also get different spells at AL6 to make it feel as though there is more player choice on that level.

Berath: Death Ring

Eothas: Sunlance

Magran: Fireball (Pillar of Flame is very good for Magran, so I don't know about this one. Fireball is extremely underlevel but it also feels weird that the Fire Priest doesn't have the most iconic fire spell? Another option could be the spell from the Godhammer Bomb trinket (Detonator Shard, iirc?), which is essentially a healing fireball. That's a pretty potent spell though.)

Skaen: Toxic Strike or Ringleader (Skaen thematically ought to get a charm but keeping it as the Rogue Priest is probably more in line with the mechanical theme)

Woedica: Nature's Terror, preferably renamed (Not too sure about this thematically but she does get Divine Terror and fear doesn't feel inappropriate. Makes way more sense than Pillar of Flame, IMO. Plus it's another reason for Priests to have Heart of the Storm!)

I have some reservations wrt to messing around with the subs as it flies a little close to redesign instead of polish. Just throwing the idea out in case people don't think that's the case.

The Poll:

Starts at 3. Afflictions for me. Not sure if marking afflictions #3 instead of 1 is the error or if I'm missing points 1 & 2.

I think a while back Boeroer suggested 10% instead of 8% for Uncanny Luck and I really think it should be. It's a high level skill so it could stand to be even that little bit stronger and non-round numbers look weird. Do it for the aesthetics.

LOL at Stag Carnage "do not change (keep it broken)"

Speaking of broken stuff, I don't really understand where the line is on bug fixing versus polishing. I'd definitely like to Arcane Archer's no-scaling fixed, and that feels like it could be on the list?

I would like to see more "yes, but low priority" options. Most notably on things that I consider minor exploits, like Avenging Storm Procs and Resonant Touch stacking. I would like to see those changed but they're even lower on my priority list than the character creation stuff (especially since you can just avoid the broken parts of them manually, even while still using those skills). I'd just generically add the option to everything that is just binary "Yes, do this" or "no, don't change" because I think figuring out what is consistently a higher priority for players taking the poll is also helpful information.

Does the poll program allow for "Other, Please Describe: [insert form here]"? Because that should likely be an option on a lot things as well if it's implementable.

Edited by Taudis, 25 March 2019 - 10:50 AM.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 727 posts
I think a while back Boeroer suggested 10% instead of 8% for Uncanny Luck and I really think it should be. It's a high level skill so it could stand to be even that little bit stronger and non-round numbers look weird. Do it for the aesthetics.

Agreed. 8% seems weird. Also i don't like numbers, which is not divided by 5, like Thelee))

Does the poll program allow for "Other, Please Describe: [insert form here]"? Because that should likely be an option on a lot things as well if it's implementable.

Agreed.

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't think it's really been mentioned that uncanny luck is more than just a 5% hit to crit, it's a 5% resist as well (not even a hit->graze or graze->hit, just an absolute 5% generic resist). I think any considerations of its net effect on damage has to taken into account that it has a strong defensive angle (versus say weapon specialization).

Edited by thelee, 25 March 2019 - 12:58 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15266 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The resist also doesn't stack additively though and thus is rather weak if you combine it with other sources of resistance (medium shield's modal for example or Kidney Guard from Miscrant's Leather) - and on its own it's also kind of weak for that PL tier. It's better than +5% crit conversion though.

Still Uncanny Luck is of higher PL than Dirty Fighting but atm is weaker. If it would be a bit stronger (10% crit conversion and 5% resistance) compared to the low-PL Dirty Fighting that's totally ok with me. Why should the high-level stuff not be stronger?

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The resist also doesn't stack additively though and thus is rather weak if you combine it with other sources of resistance (medium shield's modal for example or Kidney Guard from Miscrant's Leather) - and on its own it's also kind of weak for that PL tier. It's better than +5% crit conversion though.

Still Uncanny Luck is of higher PL than Dirty Fighting but atm is weaker. If it would be a bit stronger (10% crit conversion and 5% resistance) compared to the low-PL Dirty Fighting that's totally ok with me. Why should the high-level stuff not be stronger?

if it stacked additively it would have really strong increasing returns though. 

i think comparison to dirty fighting is a bit unfair though, because dirty fighting is a rogue-specific talent, whereas everyone can get uncanny luck, i think from a mechanics perspective that has to dilute uncanny luck.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15266 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Why that? General abilites should be worse than class-specific ones?

Edited by Boeroer, 25 March 2019 - 01:37 PM.

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why that? General abilites should be worse than class-specific ones?

kind of.

rogue has a specific combat role. dirty fighting leans into that combat role. uncanny luck is a generic talent. comparing its baseline strength to a talent that is available only to a dps-y glass cannon-y class doesn't seem like an adequate point of comparison.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15266 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I would agree if they were on the same level - but DF is PL 2 while UL is PL5.

My rule of thumb: if nobody (who knows the mechanics) picks it then most likely because it's too weak.

Taudis

Taudis

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 91 posts
I think that being on PL5 and still being smaller than the PL2 hit-to-crits is ok for Uncanny Luck. Rogue still gets its niche earlier (plus it still gets more hit-to-crit even if they don't stack well) and non-Rogue crit-based builds get lifted up.

Waski

Waski

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 197 posts

Stil if you stack Uncanny Luck , pet, Ring of Prosperity's Fortune and Bone Setter's Torc you will end with around 27% hit-to-crit conversion. Not to shabby imho.

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would agree if they were on the same level - but DF is PL 2 while UL is PL5.

My rule of thumb: if nobody (who knows the mechanics) picks it then most likely because it's too weak.

how do you know that "nobody" picks it? only obsidian knows that for sure with their telemetry.

also, trivial counterexample - i have and do continue to take uncanny luck in varying builds.

Edited by thelee, 25 March 2019 - 02:59 PM.

Ensign

Ensign

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 203 posts
The level a power appears as has as much, if not more to do with pacing of character development and managing cognitive load for the player as it does the strength of the ability. I wouldn't see an issue with putting most of the generic passives in the first tier of abilities, for instance. Doing so would present players with an unnecessarily complex set of decisions almost immediately at level 2, however.

So I don't feel any pressure to make the PL5 passives stronger than PL2 passives. For universal passives in fact I feel the opposite - put the character defining stuff (like weapon styles) in the early tiers so players can build around them, and the niche and modest generic fillers (like the empower traits or uncanny luck) later in the trees as something to pick up once you have everything important.

Sure there would be value in taking some of those niche traits super early, or more realistically respeccing into them, using your earlier points once you have access to the high tier powers you want to use regularly. But really allowing a player to grab Uncanny Luck at level 2 is going to act as a trap more than anything.
  • thelee likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15266 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It was hyperbole. But you see it rarely used in posted builds and it doesn't get talked about when discussing builds.

i have and do continue to take uncanny luck in varying builds.

Please accept my deepest condolences. :p

Jayd

Jayd

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 109 posts

I took Uncanny Luck with my Monk because he gets so many hits, and crits have so much value for Monks. On deciding to take the ability I looked at my total hits compared to total crits. This is rough because I already had the talent for a bit when I did this, but from what I could see, if I had had UL for the entire game, I would have had ~15% more crits (i.e. n = 5% of my total hits was roughly 17% of my total crits, rounded down because I had already had UL for a bit). There are all sorts of issues with those numbers. But, taking everything into account, I think that's worth a talent point. Remember that Monks turn crits into more hits and more crits. 

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It was hyperbole. But you see it rarely used in posted builds and it doesn't get talked about when discussing builds.

i have and do continue to take uncanny luck in varying builds.

Please accept my deepest condolences. :p

i mean seriously though at high levels what are you going to use those points on? another ability you won't use due to action economy or resource constraints? e.g. for a rogue i wouldn't pick it over dirty fighting, but i'd definitely use it with dirty fighting.

Taudis

Taudis

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 91 posts

One thing worth noting too is that changing from 5% crit chance and 5% auto-miss chance removes the Nat 20/Nat 1 aspect of the talent. We'd lose the tiny D&D reference!

• thelee likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: polishing, balance, bugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users