Sequel: new character or the same character?

Taking into account that there  will a sequel, I will love if there is a way that your character could continue his or her story into a new sequel. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky said that they do not like to make a sequel that begins five minutes after the first game ends(fallout 2), but after what Bioware did with the Dragon age franchise I have been eager to have a character trilogy story. Let me know what you think new character or the same?

Why does everything have to be a trilogy? It's gotten extremely generic at this point. 

But to answer your question, i have no idea at this point as we know almost nothing about the game! I do like having a long story over 2.5 games a la Baldurs Gate, however I do like in Dragon Age there are different main characters over the course of the games... so I guess it depends.

nowt

according to the interview the sequel are likely happen in another part of the galaxy

so if any ending of this one include main character settle down then maybe it is best for sequel to have a new main character

but maybe now is too early to think about the sequels

I really prefer having one protagonist over multiple video games that carry through decisions from prior games. It makes me feel more invested in the character and I enjoy seeing the overall story of that character over time.

• Like 1

Ain't it a little too early to be talking about a sequel? Game isn't even out yet.

I know, i know, but it has been quite a while since my hype levels have risen up to 199, so I am a little over excited about this whole new universe.

I always like Obsidian's new protagonist sequels, and I think that it allows for more freedom with each sequel. One can also find a way to continue the lineage in some way like Fallout1&2.

But it is really difficult to gouge Outer Worlds without first playing it - different worlds, game designes and stories lend themselves better to various designes.

It would be odd to play Mass Effect 2 or Witcher 2 or 3 with different protagonist, but on the other hand I felt Deus Ex: Manking Divided lost more by having Adam return as he had no were to go character wise. 

I also feel the more RPG there is in RPG the more difficult it is to make it a straight up sequel, without feeling off - be it ignoring reactivity or resetting skill progression.

EDIT: I suppose it all depends whenever story focus is on characters or the world. I am more interested in Fallout and PoE universe, rather than individual characters, while something like ME or Witcher are pretty generic and uninteresting if the characters are removed from it. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

One step at a time. I need to play the game first and experience the story before I decide whether a continuation with the same protagonist or a new protagonist would make more sense for a sequel.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What would you guys like to see after the trilogy and the five expansions?

A spinoff dating sim prequel exploring our favourite characters' first teenage crushes. 

Released exclusively on the OUYA

Shame. It would be a best seller on N-GAGE.

And being an Epic Games Store exclusive/ Battle Royal/Loot Simulator

• Like 1

Taking into account that there  will a sequel, I will love if there is a way that your character could continue his or her story into a new sequel. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky said that they do not like to make a sequel that begins five minutes after the first game ends(fallout 2), but after what Bioware did with the Dragon age franchise I have been eager to have a character trilogy story. Let me know what you think new character or the same?

Honestly, I like (in almost all games, certainly all RPGs) where the characters are divorced from the actual game/story currently being played (e.g. the NWN1 and NWN2 franchises.

Really? Already discussing the sequel? Anyways, I always vote new protagonist. When it comes to a game with clear "leveling up", there's nothing quite as cheesy as being a level 99 Demon Slayer at the end of game 1, only to regress to a level 1 Noob at the beginning of game 2. Deadfire made a valiant effort to justify it all, but it was still silly.