I'm a bit confused with some things after importing my POE1 save...

So...some questions...

I'm not the same race that I was in POE1, how does anybody recognize me? The steward, Eld engrim, Pallegina...etc etc etc

Also, speaking of Pallegina, my import was from my solo run, I never did any of the companion quests, obviously never took any of them with me(killed some for their items even...Aloth)....so how exactly am I to respond to this? I chose the last option and then she blames me for some crap I have no idea about??? Makes no sense at all. Developers didn't anticipate people importing solo-play saves or what? ...Bug? Or the lore in this game has about as many holes as swiss cheese...
fowJRfB.png

Also...and perhaps the gamepedia wiki is wrong...but I found an....item...that I supposedly wasn't supposed to get? I killed the skydragon in the save I imported which supposedly makes it so I don't get this item and yet I found it anyway?

I haven't noticed any out-and-out bugs/errors in references to my imported save, but every once in a while I get a somewhat fishy feeling that perhaps everything isn't quite accurate. Your case seems more obviously erroneous than that, from what you're saying. So yes, it's probably a bug.

I must say that for me, Pallegina worked just fine: I never even spoke to her in PoE, and we were total strangers in Deadfire.

Well, I've had a few of the same thoughts. And I've come to this conclusion:

1) This cannot be explained easily. Unless you want to run through hoops and pretend Berath put some kind of companion-glamour over you so you have your old visage regarding companions. They see you as the cute orlan you were in POE1, whereas now you're a hardy dwarf.

2) I think Pallegina gives you too much credit. You clearly didn't care about her. Avian godlikes are cray-cray like that. I'm not too fond of Pallegina, so anger at being dismissed seems reasonable.

Nerf Troubadour!

Solo Isn't really the 'proper' way meant to be played, at least from a narrative perspective. Sure, devs should provide the mechanical means for the players to do a solo run, but they don't really need to go out of their way to make sure it makes sense storywise as well.

You never talked to the companions or did you just accept them and leave them to rot in caed nua?

You import choices, not the character. What race/class you were in PoE1 is simply not taken into account. It is assumed that you continue to be, who you were in PoE1. if continuity is important for you (as it was for me) you can recreate the character. 

• Like 1

You import choices, not the character. What race/class you were in PoE1 is simply not taken into account. It is assumed that you continue to be, who you were in PoE1. if continuity is important for you (as it was for me) you can recreate the character. 

Ye i agree and dont see the issue. if you change your stuff in POE2 character creation then you have essentially changed your character for the whole POE 1 - 2 playthrough.

Well, I've had a few of the same thoughts. And I've come to this conclusion:

1) This cannot be explained easily. Unless you want to run through hoops and pretend Berath put some kind of companion-glamour over you so you have your old visage regarding companions. They see you as the cute orlan you were in POE1, whereas now you're a hardy dwarf.

2) I think Pallegina gives you too much credit. You clearly didn't care about her. Avian godlikes are cray-cray like that. I'm not too fond of Pallegina, so anger at being dismissed seems reasonable.

I think you're missing some of what I'm saying. I'm saying the dialogue choices I'm given are completely lacking context, a separate issue from the NPCs recognizing my face or not and more of a save import bug. none of them pertain to my character and I honestly don't know what she's talking about as I never did any companion quests in the first game. I'd say this is an error with save importing.

Edited by DiabloStorm

Solo Isn't really the 'proper' way meant to be played, at least from a narrative perspective. Sure, devs should provide the mechanical means for the players to do a solo run, but they don't really need to go out of their way to make sure it makes sense storywise as well.

You never talked to the companions or did you just accept them and leave them to rot in caed nua?

This argument doesn't hold water since there were multiple solo based achievements integrated into POE1 by the developers, and I can't simply just choose my previous race when they've fundamentally changed the way the game mechanics work for me from one game to the next (trust me, I wish I could still be death godlike and I initially started my game this way but it doesn't work the same way it did)

It sounds as though you don't know how the solo achievement worked at all, you cannot take any companions with you after cilant lis in the first game, ergo, short of talking to and meeting each companion briefly in the first game, none of them left their initial meeting areas and none of the companion quests were started or finished. They were never at Caed Nua to begin with(or end with).

I'm saying the dialogue choices I'm given are completely lacking context, none of them pertain to my character and I honestly don't know what she's talking about as I never did any companion quests in the first game. I'd say this is an error with save importing.

A more lore-friendly solution to everybody seemingly knowing your character's name out of thin air would be to remove all the text based instances where the player is addressed by name.

Similarly, if you've chosen a new race different from the one you imported a save from, familiar characters should "sense" something about you rather than knowing you immediately because that makes absolutely no sense. Berath put me in a new body, people shouldn't be able to immediately recognize me.

You don't get a new body, your body is the same as it's always been. It's like Mass Effect 2 and 3, where the character is the same person as in the previous games but the player can choose to change them

Okay, lets say that was the case, the question remains; how are people I just started talking to able to know my name?

Folks are right about the solo play, and I dunno why you're pushing back on that so hard. It doesn't matter that it was an achievement. So much of the game is already written out, sometimes in key parts like Eder's narration in the beginning, to assume you had a somewhat typical playthrough. Solo play is absolutely extreme niche for a party-based RPG. Not to mention it requires extreme meta-knowledge of the game to pull off, so it's not like true role-playing is what you're going for in that kind of playstyle.

They inserted a smorgasbord of reactivity into Deadfire. But that also means they can't account for every single possible PoE1 play choice. I had a similar experience with some things not seeming to add up to what I remembered doing in the original. My advice is just to suck it up and get on with your game. It doesn't actually seem to be a big deal.

You don't get a new body, your body is the same as it's always been. It's like Mass Effect 2 and 3, where the character is the same person as in the previous games but the player can choose to change them

Okay, lets say that was the case, the question remains; how are people I just started talking to able to know my name?

That's just one of the unrealistic things you'll have to live with, I suppose. Another is the fact that when something happens, everybody in the game world appears to know about it straight away. There are no telephones or mass media or anything like that, though...

Can anyone think of any instance in the game where you can somehow benefit from the fact that something has happened but someone doesn't know it? I don't think this exists. Like, there is a commotion in the Neketaka harbor, and everybody you meet in town knows about it and knows it was you.

Edited by xzar_monty

That's just one of the unrealistic things you'll have to live with, I suppose. Another is the fact that when something happens, everybody in the game world appears to know about it straight away. There are no telephones or mass media or anything like that, though...

Can anyone think of any instance in the game where you can somehow benefit from the fact that something has happened but someone doesn't know it? I don't think this exists. Like, there is a commotion in the Neketaka harbor, and everybody you meet in town knows about it and knows it was you.

Well, there is bluffing in the game so.....yes? The benefits vary.

I can suspend my belief on this when I'm playing a Godlike character because of how they stand out. Otherwise you're just a random char in the world and somehow everyone knows your a Watcher, which can be alarming.

I'm playing a monk who in no way looks out the ordinary, so it feels a bit strange. That's one of the things I'd pay attention to if I were to make a CRPG: the speed at which news travels. And yes, I understand how complicated things can get, if you take that into account.

The player character is known among the ruling class for being one of them back in the Dyrwood, and known among the common people in Neketaka for causing a spectacle upon arriving at the city. Presumably rumour of the Watcher spread around the Deadfire from there. I don't recall any instances of someone knowing you without referring to either of those events- in fact I don't recall any instances at all of anyone knowing my character's name without having been introduced first- but I'm sure you're telling the truth about that happening and just missed some relevant context

I'm playing a monk who in no way looks out the ordinary, so it feels a bit strange. That's one of the things I'd pay attention to if I were to make a CRPG: the speed at which news travels. And yes, I understand how complicated things can get, if you take that into account.

Yeah I totally agree with you. On my first playthrough I was an Orlan and all the NPCs were saying hello Watcher...it was really strange considering I just arrived.

That is the case, though it is not impossible that some choices weren't important correctly or werent accounted for at all. I personally encountered many issues with the save import though it was at launch.

Overall, I am not a fan of PoE1 reactivity in Deadfire as it's downplaying influence you had in PoE1. Returning companions end up the same in spite of how different they could end up in PoE. Understandable, but not satisfying for returning players. Having my Pallegina not be Kind Wayfarer and being pardoned and recognised as Vtc official within minutes of encountering her in Deadfire was disappointing.

Avoid doing reactivity, rather then doing it in such limited capacity, I say!

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

The player character is known among the ruling class for being one of them back in the Dyrwood, and known among the common people in Neketaka for causing a spectacle upon arriving at the city. Presumably rumour of the Watcher spread around the Deadfire from there. I don't recall any instances of someone knowing you without referring to either of those events- in fact I don't recall any instances at all of anyone knowing my character's name without having been introduced first- but I'm sure you're telling the truth about that happening and just missed some relevant context

You make some good rationalizations. I swear there was a shopkeep or something though, if I see anything else again outside of what you've mentioned I'll follow up. Also, the thing with berath giving you a new body, that's my interpretation, especially when you import a save and berath asks something like "does everything look correct?" (with your history/character etc)

Also, the thing with berath giving you a new body, that's my interpretation, especially when you import a save and berath asks something like "does everything look correct?" (with your history/character etc)

Nah, you return to your own body. When you leave beyond you go to your original body, which Steward and Eder dragged into a ship and chased Eothas to sustain you. Though, if you didn’t have Eder you might have missed that piece of context.