Devastating Blow - Inaccurate Description

error3

Question

I noticed that the damage bonus granted from "Devastating Blow" doesn't match up with the description of the ability.

As shown from the in-game description, the ability should have a "Bonus Damage: +25%", a "+50% damage", and a "+200% damage by percentage of health lost".

To me this reads a minimum of 75% damage (25+50), and a theoretical max of 275% (200+50+25).

However, both of these numbers are wrong.

Attached below I have first the result of a target shot at almost no health, and another at full health. The only listed damage bonus from Devastating Blow are 312% and 50%, respectively.

Neither of these values are within the expected range indicated by the ability description.

Description:

3JLPvXn.png

Result of shooting a "low-health" target, almost entirely out of health.

HGISOYC.png

Result of shooting a target at full health.

gHdDjln.png

Edited by error3

14 answers to this question

The +25% is a leftover from Finishing Blow. Apparently Devastating Blow, which is an upgrade, doesn't update that part of the description.

So the +50% in your second example is correct.

The first one has 50 included in the overall dmg bonus of 312. So there are 262 left. I don't exactly know the actual "under the hood" mechanics. You could ask MaxQuest in these forums who can most likely give you a detailed explanation how it's computed.

The descriptions are mostly auto-generated and with more complex mechanics they simply don't work properly. Don't know if this is fixable.

Also have a look here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107521-devastating-blow-inconsistancy/

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The base ability, Finishing Blow, quotes both a 25% and a 50% as well. As far as I can tell the 25% doesn't do anything for this ability, as the 50% overwrites it. It shouldn't be listed in either tooltip as it's misleading.

Honestly, I'm more interested in how I got the 312%. It makes me wonder if other abilities are more-powerful than indicated. :\

xhuBbNk.png

Edited by error3

Ah, ok. It may be that the 25% is included in the dice roll and thus doesn't get listed (see Power Level bonus). I don't think so, but maybe.

Try Gambit with Hand Mortar and Fire I the Hole on a tight crowd and check the dmg rolls. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Other abilities, such as Blinding Strike, that have a listed "Bonus Damage" % in the ability description apply it additively to other positive modifiers in the combat log. It would be very odd for this one to be done differently.

Don't know if this is fixable.

Fixable. One way or another.

You can look at this topic https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108625-nemnok-nemnok-bmac-bmac/ if you want to know about mechanics behind the strange numbers. Also there's a chance for fix from Obsidian.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 1

Frankly, +75 % is not as much as others configurations...

For exemple, 25 % additive and multiplicative do much more than +75%.

So I think Obsidian can up to 75 %, mostly with 2 ressources.

If not, I always prefer the very good confounding blind. (= +25 % + 2 afflictions + stack malus of deflection) = 2 ressources. Far more interresting. +25 % additive is nothing for a rogue.

Edited by theBalthazar

Don't know if this is fixable.

Fixable. One way or another.

You can look at this topic https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108625-nemnok-nemnok-bmac-bmac/ if you want to know about mechanics behind the strange numbers. Also there's a chance for fix from Obsidian.

I checked the other thread. I'm still not sure exactly how the numbers in the gamedatabundle map to a damage formula.

From the abilities.gamedatabundle

Devastating Blow:

{

"$type": "Game.GameData.FinishingBlowAbilityComponent, Assembly-CSharp",

"BaseDamageMultiplier": 1.5,

"TargetHealthRatio": 0.5,

"BonusDamageMultiplierPerPercent": 0.06

}

Based on my tests and interpretation of this file, this sounds like the "BaseDamageMultiplier" is the flat 50%, that we always get. Is the "TargetHealthRatio" the health threshold before the BonusDamageMultiplierPercent kicks in?

If the  6% multiplier is added for every 1% lost past 50%, that could be 300% extra damage, for a total of 350%, which could match what I saw.

So what would be the formula derived from this file?

Either way, I'd be nice for the tooltip to get clarified.

Edited by error3

Honestly, I'm more interested in how I got the 312%.

The +25% is a leftover from Finishing Blow.

The first one has 50 included in the overall dmg bonus of 312. So there are 262 left. I don't exactly know the actual "under the hood" mechanics. You could ask MaxQuest in these forums who can most likely give you a detailed explanation how it's computed.

That first +25% seems to be overriden by the +50% bonus that you get no matter what.

As for the conditional damage bonus: you get it only for the enemies that are below 50%. I.e. it is not progressing from enemy hp 100%->0, but from 50%->0. Specifically for Devastating Blow, there are these values (already posted by Phenomenum) (edit: and by error3 above):

"BaseDamageMultiplier": 1.5,
"TargetHealthRatio": 0.5,
"BonusDamageMultiplierPerPercent": 0.06
So when enemy gets below 0.5 of max hp, you get a bonus for each percent missing below that threshold.

Initially I was under impression, that when you hit an enemy at "zero hp" you would get 1.5 bonus and 3.0 bonus. Or in other words that you get two separate bonuses: +50% and +200%.

But no. Looking at:

protected override void AdjustDamage(DamageInfo damage, StatBreakdown breakdown = null)
{
  Health component = ComponentUtils.GetComponent<Health>(damage.Target);
  if (component != null)
  {
    float targetHealthRatio = this.FinishingBlowAbilityData.TargetHealthRatio;
    float currentHealthRatio = component.CurrentHealthRatio;
    float num = this.FinishingBlowAbilityData.BaseDamageMultiplier;
    if (currentHealthRatio <= targetHealthRatio)
    {
      float num2 = targetHealthRatio - currentHealthRatio;
      AdjustedValue adjustedValue = 1f;
      adjustedValue.Multiply(this.FinishingBlowAbilityData.BonusDamageMultiplierPerPercent);
      adjustedValue = base.AdjustValueByAbilityMods(adjustedValue, AbilityModType.FinishingBlowDamagePercentAdjustment, null);
      num += adjustedValue * num2 * 100f;
    }
    damage.DamageAmount.Multiply(StatBreakdown.AddMultiplicativeBonus(breakdown, num, this));
  }
  if (base.OwnerStats != null)
  {
    damage.DamageAmount.Multiply(base.OwnerStats.StatusEffectManager.CalculateValueForStat(StatusEffectType.FinishingBlowDamageMult, breakdown));
  }
}

It seems that they are added together, for 1.5 + 3.0 = 4.5 bonus. Or in other words you can get up to +350%.

And that explains why OP got those +312%.

Edited by MaxQuest

BonusDamageMultiplierPercent kicks in?

If the  6% multiplier is added for every 1% lost past 50%, that could be 300% extra damage, for a total of 350%, which could match what I saw.

No. It' not 6%.

0.03*50 = 1,5 multiplier, which converted into +50% (Damage_Roll * 1,5) for Finishing Blow at 0 HP >>> 1% for every percent below 50%

0.06*50 = 3 multiplier, which converted into +200% (Damage_Roll * 3) for Devastating Blow at 0 HP >>> 4% for every percent below 50%

And then, as Max already said, total damage bonus is summ of 50% + 1% or 4% respectively for each target's HP percent below (under) 50%

That first +25% seems to be overriden by the +50% bonus that you get no matter what.

Not sure about this... +25% is added in "BonusDamage" section - should be some reason behind this. I hope)

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 1

Not sure about this... +25% is added in "BonusDamage" section - should be some reason behind this. I hope)

But it's not displayed in his damage breakdown tooltip:

HGISOYC.png

And the overall calculation is correct:

step_sum =

+ 3.12 (devastating)

+ 0.25 (crit)

+ 0.1 (sure strike)

- 0.1764 (rounded to -0.17, blunted criticals)

+ 0.33

+ 0.5

+ 0.05

+ 0.15

+ 0.75

+ 0.05

= 5.13

dmg_coef = 1 + step_sum = 6.13

dmg = 28.4 * 6.13 = 174.09 ~= 174.2

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1