I've been looking at builds and I gotta say there is not much for Hunters. Right now I'm playing a Stalker/Devoted as my MC and she's pretty solid. My accuracy is insane with all the buffs that come from both classes. Marked enemy, disciplined barrage, stalkers link, etc and I'm critting almost 40% of the time. Keep in mind I'm using swords and no ranged weapons. In the end, I'm having fun and making good progress, just curious what you all think about the class!

Sounds super solid to me. Has all of your bread and butter covered beautifully with bonus accuracy and penetration, rangers' ability to easily apply flanked with their companion,  plus the defensive buffs from stalker complimenting fighter's natural bulk. It can make good use of all weapon styles, too. What pet are you using? 

I'm running with a wolf. Xoti helps keep him alive when need be, but it's easy enough when you just position him correctly. I've got Eder holding most of the engagement so I can off-tank or head over and pick off those squishy damage dealers.

Try to use Hunter's Claw/Fang with a blunderbuss/melee weapon (up to +8 ACC against creature group per shot) and Whirling Strikes with Fire in the Hole/Keeper of the Flame (4 * AoE hits * AoE hits). Also works for Hunter with Clear Out (but only primary attack: 3*AoE *AoE).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Try to use Hunter's Claw/Fang with a blunderbuss/melee weapon (up to +8 ACC against creature group per shot) and Whirling Strikes with Fire in the Hole/Keeper of the Flame (4 * AoE hits * AoE hits). Also works for Hunter with Clear Out (but only primary attack: 3*AoE *AoE).

Edit: just read the bashing shield thread; disregard my question.

Edited by Theosupus

Ranger/Cipher is fun. Accurate Wounding Shot makes focus generation a lot more reliable and Marked Prey helps land those disables. The Cipher side enhances your rifle shots with Soul Whip and Hammering Thoughts.

I've made Maia a Geomancer in my current turn based run and it has made me see Rangers in a new light. Her high accuracy makes it easy for her to land devastating spells, and when she doesn't have spells available or would rather be shooting, she can blow things to hell with the Red Hand.

She's devastating with Ninagauth's Death Ray. Her accuracy lets her land it even on high fort targets as long as I help her a bit and debuff them with the Morningstar first. 

Ranger seems like an underrated class to pair with any kind of caster. The accuracy bonuses really do help land your spells. 

• Like 1

If you like single target spells it's a good combo. I like Takedown Combo + Killing Bolt. :)

Also Ranger/Cipher is nice because there you usually MUST land at least a graze on the initial target or the AoE will not go off at all.

Hunters are great for characters that live in the wilderness and have naturalistic philosophies on life. Their pet makes then great lone wolfs. They make excellent good neutral and good chaotic characters because they live outside civilization and dont follow laws but still have that natural tendency towards helping others and doing whatd right.

Stalkers really should be better.  After all, they are pretty much the dedicated melee ranger subclass.  But in my opinion, they're not that good.  The special benefit doesn't scale at all, particularly the +5 Deflection bonus.  It doesn't improve as you go up in levels, unless I'm missing something Power Level related.  The +1 Armor Rating isn't too bad through the levels since you'll just add it to whatever improved armor you use as time goes by.  But +5 Deflection?  That seems like it gets weaker and weaker, relatively speaking, as the levels progress.

It might have been nice if there'd been some sort of offensive bonus, perhaps either a percentage bonus to melee damage or a +1 penetration with melee weapons.  Or possibly give Stalkers a sneak attack ability similar to Rogues.  That might be a good option.

I want to like Stalkers.  I really do.  But there doesn't seem to me to be too much "meat on the bone" for Stalkers, sadly.

Deflection bonuses have increasing returns. So a +5 passive doesn't need to scale to stay good. 5 deflection is as valuable in the late game as it is in the early game. You wouldn't want to scale deflection bonuses on other abilities either. They all stay flat. The only exceptions are items which improve the bonus through quality or skill upgrade.