I think it was kinda dissapointing that sefyra (adra dragon)  is not in poe 2, either as a draco lich (if you killed her) or as a high level old principi pirate (if you let her took falanroed body)  in poe 2. another thing that needs work, is that some classes (like the monks) are kinda ignored in poe, having few special dialogues . deadfire needed to have more quests for these forgotten classes.

Edited by nouser

You can throw random ideas around as much as you like, but -- like -- what's the point?

I'm sure everybody would prefer there to be more of everything, but have you heard of realism in terms of developer resources, deadlines and so on?

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 2

Much as I would like new DLC, I'm willing to wait on it until there is more time to craft them. Something bigger and more like a mini expansion, such as the White March, would definitely be worth waiting on if there were ever plans for it somewhere along the line.

Replaying both games as different Watchers, classes, dispositions, and so on means it has a lot more replayability to tide me over until a new DLC (possibly) releases. Which is a lot more than can be said about some games in recent years, so we're already doing pretty well!

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I'd prefer that Obsidian start working on PoE3 instead. Three large DLC packs is enough.

Deadfire isn't an MMORPG that's meant to continue forever. For better or worse, it's a finite single player campaign, and there's only so much that you can tack on.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 5

I had hopes once upon a time for major expansion, but I am pretty sure Deadfire’s is getting wrapped up and team is moving on. PoE3 is the best we can hope for, whatever form it would take. Being Obsidians own IP I would be surprised if they would abandon it all together - more likely they will change the form is some way or another. With two projects in the works confirmed it is not Impossble that one of them is Eora related. We will see.

i hope pillars of eternity 3 is not impossible.  from what i have seen after november the sales improved (top 100 in steam) . perhaps the console sales  were better?  if pillars 3 be ever released. i think a idea could be ( besides doing an epic game above level 20, which would be more difficult )   to create 2 characters. the watcher from poe1 and poe2 , which would be a non-playable npc  who could even become an antagonist depending of your choices and whose story (and that of fetured old characters)  would depend on it. and your new level 1 character,  i think the poe 1 and poe 2 characters should probably only appear as npcs in the new games if it would not be an epic game. your new character would start in level 1.

Edited by nouser

I had hopes once upon a time for major expansion, but I am pretty sure Deadfire’s is getting wrapped up and team is moving on. PoE3 is the best we can hope for, whatever form it would take. Being Obsidians own IP I would be surprised if they would abandon it all together - more likely they will change the form is some way or another. With two projects in the works confirmed it is not Impossble that one of them is Eora related. We will see.

Perhaps combining some aspects of classic rpgs with new rpgs could produce a balance between the two ? new aspects of rpgs together with the spirit of crpgs ?   it does not need to be black and white. aspects  of both could still be combined but mantaining important elements of crpgs like baldurs gate.  never played divinity original sin 2 . but the screenshots  and videos i  have seen of the combat and graphics are hideous . if this sold greatly then i think pillars can do better .  things are not lost. and character reactivity of pillars is better than divinity from what i have read.

Edited by nouser

Anyone realistically believe there's going to be a PoE3? In my view, no chance, given the sales of Deadfire.

Yes, if rumors are to be believed, we may never see the end of the Eothas/Gods Pantheon story (honestly, no major loss there). But it seems like such a waste for the CRPG genre to die again after coming this far. Personally, I'm hoping they'll use the systems they've developed for a fresh CRPG game/story*. 

*Just please not another post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland. Getting so tired of that trope.

• Like 1

I think the story of pillars of eternity was great. dont know why complain about the pantheon /eothas storyline.  A problem that i think was way more serious is the reactivity issues. characters should be more like baldurs gate. they should leave the group if you do things they greatly disagree (like mass killing people).  Benevolent characters  should fight evil players. Characters which are dratically opposed to each other after reaching relationship -4 , should even become hostile to each other.  Also, pillars of eternity needed evil , or borderline evil companion characters that  could enter conflict with opposed benevolent characters.  Pillars of eternity and future rpgs of this sort have the need to be better than baldurs gate 2 in all things possible. since the game has almost 2 decades of existence.  sidekicks were also a problem becuse they seem more lazy developed characters that reduced the number of real companions. sidekicks could be ok instead as temporary companions , leaving the party afer their quests were complete. focus should be on permanent companions diversification and reactivity .  it is atrocious that maia does not become hostile  or leave the party if you say that you sacrificed kana for skaen.

Edited by nouser
  • Like 1

Anyone realistically believe there's going to be a PoE3? In my view, no chance, given the sales of Deadfire.

Yes, if rumors are to be believed, we may never see the end of the Eothas/Gods Pantheon story (honestly, no major loss there). But it seems like such a waste for the CRPG genre to die again after coming this far. Personally, I'm hoping they'll use the systems they've developed for a fresh CRPG game/story*.

Rumors are not to be believed. So that's that.

I'm not saying I know what's going to happen, obviously, but given what's been going on recently in terms of sales, I can't see PoE3 happening.

You can throw random ideas around as much as you like, but -- like -- what's the point?

I'm sure everybody would prefer there to be more of everything, but have you heard of realism in terms of developer resources, deadlines and so on?

Bloody hell you're cheerful today aren't you.

nowt

*Just please not another post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland. Getting so tired of that trope.

Hard sci fi RPG! 

Obsidian, are you listening to me?! (no)

• Like 1

nowt

Well, yes. It sold over 3 million copies in less than 6 months. You're saying it's not worth it to make POE3? Well, let's wait and see how it sells on consoles, with its turn-based mode now implemented and many bugs and issues squashed.

I feel like Microsoft would not buy Obsidian if it didn't believe in their biggest IP, so I try to be positive.

Please don't assume. I'm not saying anything of the sort, I was merely curious about the success of Dragon Age. And yes, it's going to interesting to see how Deadfire succeeds in another medium.

Microsoft obviously had a reason for the acquisition of Obsidian, that is definitely true. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Supposing there's going to be a console-only release in the future, that's going to be the point where I leave the party, as I can't see any point in getting a console.

Have you gotten their turn-based mode survey? (Maybe it's just for backers) It seems to be pretty clear to me that turn-based mode is their sort of hail mary throw at understanding and adapting to the current cRPG market, and the mere existence of the turn-based beta mode seems to have reversed the game's standard downward trend on steam engagement (which is a pretty notable accomplishment for any game).

If we see a PoE3 it'll probably be a combo turn-based and RtWP game. It's a big if, but PoE is original IP (read: doesn't need licensing fees and already has a proven fan base), and that is a really hard thing to come by these days.

My guess is, it will receive Dragon Age treatment. Microsoft will fund it, but force them to make it more console-friendly.

MSFT acquired an indie studio known for a specific approach to RPGs. Maybe MSFT of the 1990s/2000s would do that, but I feel like MSFT of the late 2010s is a bit better and is not expecting to turn Obsidian into a Ubisoft-type money-printing operation. We'll see, though. edit: more specifically the current MSFT gaming approach is less about pushing the xbox console itself, but pushing xbox as kind of an "idea" or brand across all microsoft platforms. I think maybe it means we're less likely to see a macOS or linux version of a PoE3. (which would personally make me sad since ~1/3 of my game time is on a macbook though maybe it would also make their QA easier. though maybe there'll be a business case to be made if it doesn't cost them much to add in the extra platform support vs the sales)

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Please don't assume. I'm not saying anything of the sort, I was merely curious about the success of Dragon Age. And yes, it's going to interesting to see how Deadfire succeeds in another medium.

Microsoft obviously had a reason for the acquisition of Obsidian, that is definitely true. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Supposing there's going to be a console-only release in the future, that's going to be the point where I leave the party, as I can't see any point in getting a console.

Console-only is extremely unlikely because Microsoft loves when a developer is making a game for both Xbox and Windows 10.