TV & streaming thread

Amentep

"She was the  rightful queen of the 7 kingdoms,"

No, she wasn't. Even going by the silly 'Tragaryns are rightful rulers of Westeros' she wasn't. Jon was. And, she had her brother killed when he was the 'rightful' ruler so she/Draco are technically 'kingslayers' too and she betrayed him. And, for the same reason Jon killed her. She's a monster who mass murdered thosuands and threatened HIS family and homeland. She gots to go.

"end all slavery and dictatorships "

But she's a dictator. She has always been a dictator. And, she was always pro slavery. She came to Westeros to enslave the people. She enslaved the Dothraki.

"Cersei for not surrendering the city ...she had a chance and refused to acquiesce. You cannot blame Daenerys Targaryen for that  "

She did surrender. Thje city surrendered. LAMO

"most of the families would have supported her  and for those that dont you unleash your army and dragon on them. Trust me after Kings Landing how many cities would have  disagreed with her policies ? "

Nope. She threatened to  destroy Winterfell when she was whining about 'stopping evil'. Since when are the Starks evil? LMAO

Bottom line Dany is a piece of garbage who has always been evil, selfishk, and power hungry. She got what she deserved. Quite frankly, she got off easy. Worse than Joffrey and Ramsay cvombined but because she has b00bies it is a-ok? L0L

• Hmmm 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Watched "The Outlaw King" on NetFlix. It was pretty good. A lot of events were skipped or glossed over but as far as historical accuracy it was pretty good for a movie. There was a little bit of creative license but I guess that is to be expected. 

Stephen Dillane was Edward I. Whaddya know! Stannis finally became King!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Netflix keeps recommending The Rim of the World to me.

Watched the trailer and I have a question. I'm pretty positive I saw a similar concept in a film already. A group of people missing an alien invasion by being in the woods or some other remote location. Also with fighter jets flying through the air.

Did my brain make that up? I can't recall much else about the film to it didn't make a lasting impression. It's just a vague feeling of familiarty.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Watched the trailer and I have a question. I'm pretty positive I saw a similar concept in a film already. A group of people missing an alien invasion by being in the woods or some other remote location. Also with fighter jets flying through the air.

Did my brain make that up? I can't recall much else about the film to it didn't make a lasting impression. It's just a vague feeling of familiarty.

That plot does sound familiar...maybe we thinking about Red Dawn where after an invasion people mount resistance from the wilderness....and there jets in that ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Volourn said:

"She was the  rightful queen of the 7 kingdoms,"

No, she wasn't. Even going by the silly 'Tragaryns are rightful rulers of Westeros' she wasn't. Jon was. And, she had her brother killed when he was the 'rightful' ruler so she/Draco are technically 'kingslayers' too and she betrayed him. And, for the same reason Jon killed her. She's a monster who mass murdered thosuands and threatened HIS family and homeland. She gots to go.

"end all slavery and dictatorships "

But she's a dictator. She has always been a dictator. And, she was always pro slavery. She came to Westeros to enslave the people. She enslaved the Dothraki.

"Cersei for not surrendering the city ...she had a chance and refused to acquiesce. You cannot blame Daenerys Targaryen for that  "

She did surrender. Thje city surrendered. LAMO

"most of the families would have supported her  and for those that dont you unleash your army and dragon on them. Trust me after Kings Landing how many cities would have  disagreed with her policies ? "

Nope. She threatened to  destroy Winterfell when she was whining about 'stopping evil'. Since when are the Starks evil? LMAO

Bottom line Dany is a piece of garbage who has always been evil, selfishk, and power hungry. She got what she deserved. Quite frankly, she got off easy. Worse than Joffrey and Ramsay cvombined but because she has b00bies it is a-ok? L0L

Volo !!! Im shocked by your criticism of the true queen,....I am almost speechless

She freed the slaves  and killed the slave masters in Slavers Bay..why do you like slavery?  Maybe in Canada slavery is acceptable but its highly frowned upon and illegal in the rest of the world. Dont be a  slave-Nazi..its wrong.

Her brother was insane and was abusive and  treated her terribly, he deserved to die. Why do you like abuse of women? Dont be a Nazi abuser of women ..its wrong 

She didnt enslave the Dothraki or the Unsullied, they willingly joined her ...the Dothraki even were prepared to commit mass suicide in some meaningless and myopic charge against the undead when they couldn't even see the enemy...thats loyalty for you. Dont be a loyalty-Nazi.. its wrong

She only threatened to destroy other cities if they didn't capitulate and all agree to her polices based on order and freedom...dont be a Nazi hater of freedom....its wrong

And finally Im not supporting her just because she has boobies, Im not that shallow !!! I like her whole package including her boobies, give me more credit :-

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, majestic said:

Recall maybe?

• Like 1

Thanks, but I watched The Recall trailer and I'm pretty sure I have never seen that film. Hmmm.

Now that I think on it a little, it's not necessarily an alien invasion. Just people in the woods witnessing something strange, jets flying through the air and a catastrophe happening. Could also be one of them end of the world films.

Bah, this will probably bother me a bit until I forget about it. Much like that film or TV show episode that begins with a scientist hanging himself (I think, at least, the scientist commits suicide. it also invovles a clock tower) after having invented somthing that literally eats the planet. Possibly bacteria, maybe nano-machines. From the 80ies or earlier (possibly early 90ies, but only very early). I also seem to recall a city collapsing.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This is probably the funniest summary of a season of a tv show I've come across.

Warning: Language. They do get quite heated halfway through. But it's totally worth it seeing them innocent and hopeful at the start and then they go full nerd rage when each episode drops. 😂

Edited by Hiro Protagonist
  • Haha 1

one thing i despise on every single modern streaming video player is that they do not fully load the video but just enough to keep going as it plays. a few years ago, if my speed was low i could just start the video, pause it, leave it like that and do something else and later, when the entire thing was loaded, i could watch it without interruptions. today's players assume i always have at least 12mbps available at any time so they load just enough to keep the video going at that speed and not a byte more and if that speed is not available the old trick no longer works. i can't wait for the entire video to load, i just have to sit through the constant buffering and bang my head on the desk.

i remember when i streamed episodes of a series a few years ago on a slow 4mbps connection, i would let the 1st episode load, open the 2nd episode on a new tab and as i watched the 1st, the 2nd was loading and it was ready to watch by the time the 1st was over. then i opened another tab with episode 3 while watching 2 and so on. now that is no longer an option

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

They've been promoting an upcoming series on Starz called "Rook" about people with paranormal abilities. Apparently it's based on a novel by Daniel O'Malley. The only cast member I recognize is Olivia Munn. The series premiers on June 30. Not sure how good it will be. The book was apparently decently received.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rook_(novel)

• Thanks 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

15 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

This is probably the funniest summary of a season of a tv show I've come across.

Warning: Language. They do get quite heated halfway through. But it's totally worth it seeing them innocent and hopeful at the start and then they go full nerd rage when each episode drops. 😂

This is the only good in this disaster: watching people getting mad and cursing D&D.

• Thanks 1

sign.jpg

Eh, seeing people meltdown because Dany did some roasting has been entertaining enough.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I find it dumb as heck that they forced Jon to leave for a Wall after Unsullied and Dothraki left Westeros. Everybody have to stick by their word now?

The whole season 8 felt like a recap episode of like two seasons it was like watching The Last Airbender, even worse because we could watch the actual season of Last Airbender. Here we only have the recap. It seems Martin left the directors a quick pointers what have to happen and hoped they will fill out the blanks, but they just filmed the pointers and called it a day. 
Some characters were just cut off like Asha Greyjoy. Her character was clearly going somewhere in earlier seasons and they just handwaived her and didn't even included her fleet in the final battle.  

• Thanks 1

166215__front.jpg

On 5/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, Hiro Protagonist said:

Even though Star Trek Discovery has been renewed for a third season, there is a lawsuit going on with STD stealing from an indie game dev.

So they even admitted to it and later changed their mind. :facepalm: I wonder what will be the "inspiration" of S3. Maybe Buck Rogers?

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

I find it dumb as heck that they forced Jon to leave for a Wall after Unsullied and Dothraki left Westeros. Everybody have to stick by their word now?

The whole season 8 felt like a recap episode of like two seasons it was like watching The Last Airbender, even worse because we could watch the actual season of Last Airbender. Here we only have the recap. It seems Martin left the directors a quick pointers what have to happen and hoped they will fill out the blanks, but they just filmed the pointers and called it a day. 
Some characters were just cut off like Asha Greyjoy. Her character was clearly going somewhere in earlier seasons and they just handwaived her and didn't even included her fleet in the final battle.  

Asha could easily be included in the fight with Euron (instead of Jaime), making it much more satisfactory.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

6 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Brandon Sanderson on Changes in the Wheel of Time TV Show: “Majority of These Decisions Are Excellent Choices”.

Too soon to make any judgements, but I agree with the comment "majority scares me."

I'm okay with it. I think that on the other hand "all of these decisions" would have been obvious PR talk, because let's be honest, no author or artist likes their work being screwed with. There's a classic phrase in narrative mediums that goes "kill your darlings", and especially when it comes to film and TV adaptations of novels and book series it's an absolute must: not everything works well when translated absolutely literally from the page to the screen, not everything *can* be translated either; and so between the changes and concessions that must be made to make the best use of the new medium or otherwise, no doubt things the author or fans loved of the source material must be transformed or cut out. This is especially true when an adaptation plays looser with the source material to make something completely new and telling something the filmmaker specifically wants to tell, opposite to merely translating and retelling whatever was there in the source material - Kubrick and Hitch**** are immediate examples of filmmakers who tended to do as much, leading to works that matched or even surpassed the source material they based themselves off of.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Sanderson shouldn't care too much, since he only wrote the last two (three?) books based on Robert Jordan's notes and his wife's input rather than wrote the whole thing. He isn't going to say that the changes are stupid and the show sucks though, even if it does. Sapkowski would be a better bet for that given his rather dismissive comments on the games, and even he seems keen enough on money to swallow his pride when he hasn't been stupid enough to accept a one off payment.

The one strong rumour I've seen is that Moiraine is the 'PoV' character in the early episode(s), and that seems pretty sensible to me as she's a far better introduction to the world as a whole than any Two Rivers character. Since it's Current Year diversity casting is inevitable, but that's only an actual problem when it goes against verisimilitude.

I'm not expecting much of anything from the WoT, LotR or Twitcher adaptions though to be honest. Kind of like how the quality of the fantasy movie renaissance peaked with FotR (ie the very first movie in the renaissance) I'm expecting GoT 1-4 to be by far the best of the TV fantasy series renaissance.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, majestic said:

Perhaps "Tomorrow When The War Began"?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The one strong rumour I've seen is that Moiraine is the 'PoV' character in the early episode(s), and that seems pretty sensible to me as she's a far better introduction to the world as a whole than any Two Rivers character. Since it's Current Year diversity casting is inevitable, but that's only an actual problem when it goes against verisimilitude.

I'm not expecting much of anything from the WoT, LotR or Twitcher adaptions though to be honest. Kind of like how the quality of the fantasy movie renaissance peaked with FotR (ie the very first movie in the renaissance) I'm expecting GoT 1-4 to be by far the best of the TV fantasy series renaissance.

Yes, it seems they will start with (part of) the New Spring novella. One scene of that book would be particularly good in explaining Moirane's motivations and what is about to happen in the world. Not to mention showing a very interesting moment of a certain war. They should start with Book 1's prologue anyway, it is fantastic. I can actually accept most changes, as long as they don't remove main characters or merge them.

The LotR adaptation should be pretty easy to do right. They have $ 500 million and the movies as an example of how it should look. But they will have to create the story from nothing. Or did Tolkien leave anything of sufficient size about Numenor?

I agree with you, I doubt any of them will surpass GoT 1-4.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Since I had a long week working, I cut out early today, came home to a cup of tea and then binge watched Good Omens.

Interesting to see what they've cut and changed around from the books to make the tv adaption, but dang, Tenant and Sheen knock it out of the ballpark as Cowley and Aziraphale.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."