TV & streaming thread

Amentep

Regarding the Borg

they claim to be hundreds of thousands qqof years old so unless it's a lie Leland would have to go way, way back in time and across the Galaxy to be some kind of proto-Borg. I'm also recalling that in Voyager they were supposed to have already been modern Borg at least a thousand years earlier. So he'd have to go back at least before that.

Well, the "plot" thickens... :banghead:

Discovery spoilers, in case it isn't obvious

From what they've shown in Discovery they still shouldn't be proto Borg. The similarities are blatant enough to make it obvious that you're meant to make the association, but even for these writers I see it as being a step too far and for all the similarities there are also significant differences. I have to think that they're dangling something stupid in front of the viewers so that whatever solution they end up using automatically looks better than the alternative.

The latest episode was decent, though I thought it should have been obvious that the survivor was a fake and I plain skipped the sub CW relationship drama subplots. The whole idea of time crystals is pretty stupid, but meh, not like all Trek including the good series doesn't have its share of dumb/ convenient plot devices.

• Like 1

lolwhy. Is this some Hollywood race thing again? :D

am suspecting is sacrifice at the altar o' pragmatism.  a corgi is inherent funny.

https://www.facebook.com/9gag/videos/corgi-tragic-attempt-of-jumping-on-the-couch/916247615237645/

the thing is, am betting is much harder to get a funny corgi to take direction, particular if you anticipate an aggressive filming schedule. actor ein can't have a day-off when he would prefer to chase butterflies or his tail... more likely her tail as dog actors is often female... lassie being a notable exception.  blame on hollywood sexism?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just steal one of the Queen's.

we hear they tried to contract one o' the queen's dogs, but the pooch's list o' demands were prohibitive.  wanted a nfl-quality misting system installed outside his trailer to relieve fatigue from filming under hot lights...

pro-bowl-2006.jpg

as well as wagyu beef kibble inclusion in craft services spread, in addition to pay and accomodations for the dog's 'personal masseuse.'

nevertheless, parties almost came to terms, but turns out the dog's masseuse were affiliated with orchids of asia.

royals.  what are you gonna do?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The reasoning behind the choice is hilarious. If the goal is not to do what was done before why are you making a tv show based on an already created product. Ignorant idiots are ignorant idiots. Come up with your own ideas. LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I still haven't seen Cowboy Bebop. "Everyone" says I should since I loved Samurai Champloo but the 1st episode doesn't click with me and I've never forced myself to go farther to try to get it to grow on me, yet.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I still haven't seen Cowboy Bebop. "Everyone" says I should since I loved Samurai Champloo but the 1st episode doesn't click with me and I've never forced myself to go farther to try to get it to grow on me, yet.

Twins!

tenor.gif

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

no good reason to force yourself.  there is a few shows where a first episode is so devoted to character intro and background exposition that it can be misleading bad.  ain't the case with cowboy bebop. is a few humor-centric episodes, and a goodly number o' "wtf japan" episodes, but if first episode didn't do it for you, then smart thing to do is cut loses.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we did mention earlier how we dislike 'bout 1/2 o' cowboy bebop episodes, but keep in mind we loathe almost all anime, so is hardly surprising.  episodes we genuine like is: 2, 5, 10, 16, 19, 25, 26, with 3, 8, and 22 being pretty good.  episode 11 is kinda a ridiculous homage to alien with a few other sci-fi movie references thrown in in for good measure-- am liking the episode 'gainst our better judgement. anime humor tends to be a miss for us, but episode 17 got a few chuckles and our grudging approval.  when rewatching the series, wouldn't bother watching any o' the others save for the ed intro episode and maybe the last faye-centric episode.  but again, we dislike anime, so is probable dubious to use us as a reliable barometer.

Edited by Gromnir

The only anime stuff I ever liked was (for some reason) Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, and the first Ghost in the Shell. I tried others, but... no. I just can't watch that.

The last one I saw was Afro Samurai. It was not bad per se, but in the end I felt like it was pointless and had so much wasted potential.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I loved everything by Satoshi Kon, it was the most Philip K. D†ck experience I had outside of well, books of Philip K. himself. Miyazaki too, but he's more for warm fuzzies. Oh, and "Fullmetal Alchemist", the earlier one, that was good too.

I tried reading source material and found it too meandering and unfocused compared to pretty tight story of war and loss of First Attempt. I can't even quite remember where I finally lost interest and stopped reading it. Wasn't interested in watching Brotherhood after that.

P.S. Oh! Just remembered what else I really loved -- "Gankutsuou". The best adaptation of "Count of Monte-Cristo" out there (what is not saying much now when I think about it, because Alexandre Dumas shares a sad fate with Stephen King -- to be cursed with adaptations of their works being mostly garbage)

Edited by bugarup

P.S. Oh! Just remembered what else I really loved -- "Gankutsuou". The best adaptation of "Count of Monte-Cristo" out there

no.  as vol, would say, "no."  we watched and the anime, as with the few other gonzo series we have tried to watch, it went complete off the rails as it got closer to its conclusion.  

best adaptation, in our mind (and there has been many good ones) is alfred bester's, the stars my destination.  is the sci-fi book which functional invented cyberpunk, written by the guy first penned the green lantern's oath and who married the first radio lois lane.   

dumas, btw, woulda' no doubt loved all the adaptations, terrible and great. an epic spendthrift who died penniless, having sucked every bit o' life's marrow out o' his 68 mortal years, not only exploited the pay-by-the-word standard o' the time to a comical degree, but he slapped his name on hundreds o' works to which he only incidental contributed.  "dumas" appearance on a novel were, for all intents and purposes, a brand name more than an indication o' authorship.  fact that 175 years after publishing the count of monte cristo, folks were still making money from his work woulda made dumas laugh. 'pon such a discovery he no doubt woulda' bought the house a round (or two... or three) o' drinks to celebrate... himself.

HA! Good Fun!

I know about "the Dumas franchise" and his pay-per-line loophole exploit, cannot help but like the creative scoundrel.  :biggrin:  Him doing that was actually why, as a kid, I preferred his books with short, clipped dialogue lines over books of his contemporaries with their wall o'texts, because "that's how real people talk". Haven't read "The Stars My Destination", shame on me, since it's science fiction classic. Will have to remedy that one of these day. 

but he slapped his name on hundreds o' works to which he only incidental contributed.  

Oh. So that's who Chris Avellone's role model.  :biggrin: