Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TV & streaming thread

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9164 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wonder how many people that first episode of Love, Death + Robots stopped from continuing. It's like an edgelord explosion of edginess for the sake of being edgy.

Look at us, we're animated entertainment for adults. We have violence, swearing, boobies, lesbians and (off-screen) gang rape. All handled with tasteful, uhm, immaturity.

But yeah, some episodes are fun and they're so short the bad ones don't really matter. It's just sad that the frist episode is that... eh. Well, edgy.

I skipped the first episode to be honest. I always go to the Episodes list and read the descriptions, if such is provided. The description didn't sound appealing to my tastes so I didn't start there.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Started The Umbrella Academy. It's entertaining, but I think I might be tired of superhero TV (strangely, movies I'm fine with).

am not familiar with the source material, which is a nice change for superhero stuff.  had no expectations. don't have reflexive need to compare to the comics.  that being said, we cannot help but wonder if the show is perhaps trying too hard to be faithful to the source material, 'cause after having watched five episodes, am thinking what we has seen so far coulda' been better conveyed in three episodes, or perhaps 2.5.  lack o' a clear defined UBG (ultimate bad guy) is an odd choice for a superhero vehicle, but is not necessarily a flaw.  unfortunately, such absence leaves the show a bit directionless at this point. 

am not doubting we will watch complete, but is becoming more effort than entertainment. 

HA! Good Fun!

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
I feel like it was trying to deconstruct the whole "children superheroes" like X-Men's school and Batman's wards and show what happens to kids actually treated like that. I can't say it was entirely succesful, but I enjoyed it. Mostly because of Hazel and Klaus.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I still haven't finished watching the 2nd season. :p

• ShadySands, injurai and InsaneCommander like this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 703 posts

A while back I laid out the theory that we were going to see the KGB get involved as pay-off for the Jon and Nancy storyline in season 2. Looking at some IMDB credits I think we're going to see a Red Dawn-type story thread, with KGB operatives and VDV Spetsnaz dropping in to snatch up everything related to MKUltra, including Eight and Eleven.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dear Star Trek Discovery,

There is no dramatic tension from threatening to kill characters when you can't even leave the ones you do kill dead. And no, someone with a dozen lines across the entire run (apart from the ep they die in of course) dying is not a substitute even if you hold a 15 minute funeral for them next ep.

Spoiler

• ShadySands and InsaneCommander like this

majestic

majestic

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1002 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well, that was one terrible episode.

The tension at the end left me at the edge of my seat. From almost falling off after dozing off.

Good job making Michael a wangsty teenager for half the episode by the way. Sheesh.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dear Star Trek Discovery,

There is no dramatic tension from threatening to kill characters when you can't even leave the ones you do kill dead. And no, someone with a dozen lines across the entire run (apart from the ep they die in of course) dying is not a substitute even if you hold a 15 minute funeral for them next ep.

The funeral was just awful. They told tales how important she had been for them and for the ship, but none of it was ever shown. It was like a funeral service for a Red Shirt.
  • InsaneCommander likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

We've finally started watching this past weekend and I'm starting to think this show just isn't for us even though we're huge Trek fans. It doesn't feel like Trek to us and I know that's pretty nebulous but it's kind of hard to put into words why it falls so short of the mark. My wife turned to me and said I think I'd rather rewatch Voyager which is our least favorite Trek show that we've seen to the end. 

Speaking of Voyager Tuvok (and the characters Tim Russ played on TNG and DS9 whose names I'm ashamed I don't know off the top of my head) was on the Orville. A real WTF moment :p

• majestic likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought he looked familiar but I couldnt put my finger on it!

majestic

majestic

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1002 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

We've finally started watching this past weekend and I'm starting to think this show just isn't for us even though we're huge Trek fans. It doesn't feel like Trek to us and I know that's pretty nebulous but it's kind of hard to put into words why it falls so short of the mark.

That's not nebulous at all. :)

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2716 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doesn't feel like Trek describes it pretty well. It's like someone described what makes good Trek to the producers- quite possibly via Power Point presentation- and they didn't bother actually watching any.

IMO it's even worse than that: I'm not irremediably wedded to it being 'good Trek' personally, and enjoyed the 1st season in part because it was a bit divergent from standard Trek tropes (as was DS9 for that matter), but this season isn't even close to good television in absolute terms. It feels like someone described good TV to the producers via Power Point as well. The basic elements of what made something like TNG or DS9 successful are there, but only as cosmetics and the feel is of a checklist being run through with the focus being on action scenes with zero tension and the almost comically over the top melodrama.

The positives of the season are Pike, and the bridge crew being a bit more fleshed out. I guess Spock turned out better than I feared as well. Sadly, that's about it.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wonder how many people that first episode of Love, Death + Robots stopped from continuing. It's like an edgelord explosion of edginess for the sake of being edgy.

Apparently there's (maybe?) 4 different episode orders, based on no one knows what, . So not everyone is getting the same first episode.

https://www.indiewir...ing-1202052377/

Edited by LadyCrimson, 22 March 2019 - 05:27 PM.

majestic

majestic

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1002 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Apparently there's (maybe?) 4 different episode orders, based on no one knows what, . So not everyone is getting the same first episode.

https://www.indiewir...ing-1202052377/

Well looks like I need to clarify then, I was talking about the episode Sonnie's Edge which was the first for me, and apparenly is the first episode of the default order (at least as far as external info sites are concerned). :)

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3316 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hmm.

Sliders cast in talks for potential revival

Trying to find out who actually owns it for the possibly of rebooting or returning to it... That would be a curiousity.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

finished umbrella academy.

time travel sucks.

HA! Good Fun!

• TrueNeutral likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

I started watching American Horror story today. So far it's Amytiville meets It

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I still haven't finished watching the 2nd season. :p

Into my veins.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2780 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, now I really have to sit my arse down and watch Blue Gender, no more excuses...unless it sucks that is.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Been binge-watching Miami Vice commercial-free on Starsz. As a product of the 80s I love that show, cheese and all. :)

• Guard Dog and ShadySands like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users