TV & streaming thread

Amentep

42 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Game Of Thrones' director Miguel Sapochnik talks getting "visually policed" by showrunners

He seems to have the right ideas. If only he had taken over in the last seasons.

Dunno, half the criticism seems to be that BnW (not using d&d, too easily confused with dungeons and dragons) being too hands off and the rest is about them micromanaging. I think they may just have been terrible rather than either.

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

..hard to believe how many people had to die and  how many lives were irrevocably altered because the USSR decided not to be honest initially about the disaster :shrugz: 

"Spreading disinformation at a time like that? It was disgraceful, simply disgraceful", surely.

(though it does have to be said, the TV series shafted historical Dyatlov something terrible because it needed an antagonist. Probably would have been better if they'd used a fictionalised antagonist same was as they had Khomyuk as a stand in for all the non Legasov scientists)

Been recently watching a show called Michiko and Hatchin. A story about a female convict (Michiko) and a kid (Hatchin) trying to find a man named Hiroshi. They travel all across Brazil trying to look for him stumbling into many different and interesting people while also being chased by police and gangs. The beginning is a little too drawn out with the child character backstory being so "woe is me my life is miserable everybody. Everybody I know has no redeeming qualities". The dynamic of Michiko and Hatchin is your typical unruly adult with a responsible child, it is done well although there were a few time I hated the thought process of the kid. It has some of the prettiest and fluid animations there is and has some impressive and sometime stupid fight scenes. The best part of this is that is is all free on Youtube in both English and Spanish.

12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Finished Jessica Jones, she finally got not stupid somewhere close to the end.

I see its on Netflix, is it worth watching. How would you compare it to ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just watched a really entertaining series, called Charite at War , its a true story about a hospital and its staff who operate in Berlin during WW2 

So you get to experience  several  aspects of life under the Nazis like eugenics and the utter intolerance for what the Nazis considered anathema and should be exterminated, like homosexuals. But its really about the amazing job numerous doctors did under terrible conditions. Well worth watching :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Snicker.

20,000 Christians in the US have written a petition to Netflix asking them to cancel Good Omens for trying to "normalise Satan" and trying to make light of Truth and God.

Take a moment.

They're asking Netflix to cancel a show on Amazon.

• Haha 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 6/18/2019 at 10:56 PM, Zoraptor said:

(though it does have to be said, the TV series shafted historical Dyatlov something terrible because it needed an antagonist. Probably would have been better if they'd used a fictionalised antagonist same was as they had Khomyuk as a stand in for all the non Legasov scientists)

I watched the last episode, Valery Legasov was very brave for the position he took at the trial. I admire him and the ultimate sacrifice many others made to address the numerous problems created by the meltdown 

I found it both reassuring and sad that it was his suicide that finally made the USSR make the necessary changes to the nuclear rods to avoid another potential disaster but at least they made the required changes

Again, what a brilliant and captivating series 🌞

John Milton 

I don't know anything about the source material - but is a second season possible? The ending felt like there could be more, but maybe that's just it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I watched the last episode, Valery Legasov was very brave for the position he took at the trial.

Historically he wasn't even at the trial (nor was Scherbina) and his downfall was due to him being bad at politics rather than him speaking truth to power.

It's a great series but it isn't close to a documentary, and unfortunately people tend to take it as such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

I don't know anything about the source material - but is a second season possible? The ending felt like there could be more, but maybe that's just it.

What, they're gonna stop the apocalypse twice? This isn't Supernatural.

• Haha 2

Watched the 1st season of a season-arc anthology series called Slasher, via Netflix.
I liked the first season, which dealt with some 7 deadly sins serial killer called the Executioner.  Wasn't brilliant or anything and it had issues with scenes abruptly changing and chrs. who show up only long enough whenever they're needed for something, but it was watchable enough for the genre. Reminded me more of horror stylingfrom the late 80's or 90's maybe. The lead female was occasionally annoying tho.

I started the 2nd season, about a group of adults who return to a scene of a years-ago crime. It wasn't as successful and I didn't finish it. Made me think too much of Fri the 13th or I Know What You Did Last Summer type plots, which don't appeal as much to me. Anyway, decent attempt for thriller/horror series. Passes the time anyway. 😄

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I didn't even watched season 2 yet, because the first one was so stupid, I couldn't bear it anymore.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."