TV & streaming thread

Amentep

I skipped the last Season of True Blood and while I liked the Psych ending I didn't think it stuck the landing well enough. Castle is another show I watched to completion but didn't really like the end of but in that case, I believe they shot different endings in case the show got renewed. I didn't like the Voyager, House, or the  X-Files finales either and I'm now realizing I've just dropped a few other shows before the end came like with Scrubs, Babylon 5, and the aforementioned True Blood. Elementary is ending after the upcoming season so we'll see how that goes. I don't remember the end of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air even though I'm sure I've seen it

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Personally I didn't like the end of Seinfeld, but I also didn't like the last few seasons of Seinfeld, so at least it was consistent!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I skipped the last Season of True Blood and while I liked the Psych ending I didn't think it stuck the landing well enough. Castle is another show I watched to completion but didn't really like the end of but in that case, I believe they shot different endings in case the show got renewed. I didn't like the Voyager, House, or the  X-Files finales either and I'm now realizing I've just dropped a few other shows before the end came like with Scrubs, Babylon 5, and the aforementioned True Blood. Elementary is ending after the upcoming season so we'll see how that goes. I don't remember the end of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air even though I'm sure I've seen it

I assumed Hoonding is joking about Bel-Air, it was a comedy but old school. A bit like the Cosby show, funny at the time but the humor wouldn't be applicable now...these shows didnt really have a "story " as each episode stood on its own but with the same characters 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

It's been a while and what I'm remembering could be them trying to save face, but iirc the series creator intended to end it at season 3.

Supposedly Eva Green didn't like shooting in Ireland and thought the weather was ruining her health, and the creator didn't want to continue without her rather than it being a 'proper' planned ending. I liked the ending well enough personally, but it did feel like the last few episodes were very rushed.

They are doing a 'sequel' series now too, set in 1930s LA.

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

It looked like they were rebuilding it and the Night King may return as I think he has been seen before but there many illogical aspects to the plot and how characters acted. You can see George Martin wasnt involved in the last season and I doubt they based much of it on his forthcoming books 

Maybe they didn't reveal anything about the Night King because they will do it in the prequel. Stupid idea if it is the case. Even worse if it is not.

Edit: sending Jon to the wall is the same as sentencing someone to prison by giving them a one way ticket to Australia. lol

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Babylon 5 had one of the best endings of a TV series.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Edit: sending Jon to the wall is the same as sentencing someone to prison by giving them a one way ticket to Australia. lol

😄 You right, another illogical development. Jon's " sentence "  is actually what he would have chosen if he had a choice after the wars were over..so he is basically getting rewarded 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

😄 You right, another illogical development. Jon's " sentence "  is actually what he would have chosen if he had a choice after the wars were over..so he is basically getting rewarded 

Why is it illogical? Did the people making the decision not know Jon really wanted to be free to roam the north and not be a ruler in a city?

(I don't watch GOT, probably will never watch it, so I don't know the answer.  The way it was described to me was it was a reward for him that also cleanly tied up the succession of rule to the people who did want to rule).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

41 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Why is it illogical? Did the people making the decision not know Jon really wanted to be free to roam the north and not be a ruler in a city?

(I don't watch GOT, probably will never watch it, so I don't know the answer.  The way it was described to me was it was a reward for him that also cleanly tied up the succession of rule to the people who did want to rule).

Jon was the direct heir to the Iron Throne and could have claimed it and ruled the 7 kingdoms, he said he never wanted it numerous times. He was a natural leader but always felt connected to the North, where he was raised, and he found his true calling the first time he goes  to the Wall, joins the Night Watch,  where he is respected and loved by the Watch and the Wildlings

He then killed Daenerys Targaryen and his sentence should have been  severe, he was sent to the Wall again to join the Night Watch which somehow was accepted by the Unsullied and the Dothraki which were Daenerys Targaryen's true supporters. It wasn't a punishment but something Im sure he would have chosen if he  had a choice around what do to after the various wars were over 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Yes, basically it makes no sense because Dany's supporters should never have accepted that. There is no purpose for the Night's Watch anymore, the Wall is on the other side of an independent country and there is no way to check if Jon will stay there.

But the real problem is that they didn't kill Jon immediately. Notice that he must have confessed his crime because Drogon left with all the evidence. lol

sign.jpg

"Jon was the direct heir to the Iron Throne and could have claimed it and ruled the 7 kingdoms,"

No, he wasn't. The Targs were rightly overthrown. Their reign was over because they made the kingdom through power and strength and were overthrown with power and strength. 'Rightful' heir is such weaksauce in this case.

That said, GW acted illogical here. No way no how does he simply 'arrest' Jon. he would attack him no questions asked.

Dany, btw, got what she deserved. She was a crybaby. And, a lair. She claims she deserves the throne because of her family name but wouldn't step aside to someone who had 'more' right to the throne according to her own logic. But, I get it. She was evil and selfish a scumbag.

• Gasp! 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Turns out there was an alternate ending that was never filmed. It didn't change things is a big way, but did flesh out Danereys magical ride from hero to dragon Hitler a little more.  Jorah Mormont survives the battle of Winterfell and becomes one of the heroes of the North. During the after party he's hanging out with the rest and not with Dany which, as you all saw, pisses her off. Some girls like to be the center of attention. After he also advises her to wait and not attack (how about not splitting your force when you're already outnumbered???) That makes her even madder after she ignores everyone's advice and Rhaegal gets killed. He joins the Tyrion - Varys discussion but refuses to go along, tell her about it. Then has to talk her out of killing all of them and Jon too. She tells him what she is going to do to Kings Landing. 

Afterwards he has a conversation with Jon after Tyrion does and agrees with what he's going to do. The rest plays out the same. He is sent to the Nights Watch with Jon. Also they have a conversation with Tormund at the wall that the Nights Watch will protect the wildlings north of the wall too. Or some such. When Jon goes north with them he tells Mormont he's not coming back. 

Now, while that does help out Dany's story a little it sounds out of character for Mormont. But there was a lot of that going around. Probably better they didn't go that way.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Doesn't sound better to me. In fact, it adds even more problems... now suddenly Jorah does a 180 and thinks she is mad? There were never any signs before that he saw her as such. Imagine this storyline crammed into two episodes... it just won't work.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

39 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Doesn't sound better to me. In fact, it adds even more problems... now suddenly Jorah does a 180 and thinks she is mad? There were never any signs before that he saw her as such. Imagine this storyline crammed into two episodes... it just won't work. 

Same. I also honestly don't think Dany's turn was bad as it was either - there were enough signs as early on as the first season showing problems to the "hero" narrative behind her, which especially grew worse with her arrival to Westeros. I do think a few more episodes would have helped flesh the thing out a little more naturally but the issue wasn't with the arc or plot points themselves.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Dany's heel turn was certainly foreshadowed pretty extensively, but yeah, like most of the late season plot points they did make an awful hash of explaining it. Seems like the biggest problem once the show outran the books was not the plot itself so much, but that they couldn't reference what the characters were actually thinking via their POV chapters and the narrative effectively switched from a directed POV (ie you knew what Cat/ Jon/ Jaime etc thought) to an indirect observational one* where things not directly said had to be inferred; and sometimes inferred on very sketchy evidence. Since I used the 'kingsmoot' scene earlier, some things fundamentally make no sense like Sansa declaring independence while Dorne and Asha remain loyal, but Grey Worm's attitude flip could be explained- especially if Jorah survived Winterfell in initial drafts as rumoured- by playing on the unfinished nature of Dany's Essos/ free the slaves mission and on whether Missandei would want him pointlessly dying in a fight against former allies. It would take some writing to do, and would need it all not to take place over about 5 minutes episode time, but it could be done. But as it stands he does a 180 completely without explanation.

*Perhaps the best example would be the Arya/ Sansa 'conflict' in S7. It always felt more than a bit off in context of previous scheming and effectively could not happen in the books since they're both POV characters. I'd also say in retrospect they would have done far better to go with book POV character Arianne rather than the Sand Snakes, despite the problems with Dorne in the books.

14 hours ago, Volourn said:

Dany, btw, got what she deserved. She was a crybaby. And, a lair. She claims she deserves the throne because of her family name but wouldn't step aside to someone who had 'more' right to the throne according to her own logic. But, I get it. She was evil and selfish a scumbag.

Volo !!! How can you say that about  Daenerys Targaryen? She was the  rightful queen of the 7 kingdoms, Jon didnt want the job and we must respect his wishes,  and was betrayed by her true love. She definitely had the right idea, you unite the 7 kingdoms and end all slavery and dictatorships ....most of the families would have supported her  and for those that dont you unleash your army and dragon on them. Trust me after Kings Landing how many cities would have  disagreed with her policies ? I did feel sorry for the loss of some of the civilian lives during the Kings Landing battle but that was on Cersei for not surrendering the city ...she had a chance and refused to acquiesce. You cannot blame Daenerys Targaryen for that 

Also Dany  was really hot, that must count for something 💗

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 1

John Milton 

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Just in case  anyone ever wondered whether BruceVC is a cryptofascist or not. There's nothing crypto, really. :p

" crypto facist " ...that made me laugh, good one 🤣

I really  am not one, I just believe sometimes you need to enforce rules and governance  in the interests of the greater good of most of society. And sometimes these rules will be seen as unpopular but they necessary for long term sustainability of a better world

John Milton 

On 5/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, Lexx said:

The way it was going, no behavior from any character would surprise me if there was another episode. There are plenty of examples I could mention of the "to be honest, I never really cared about..." meme, but it was done so many times that even the freefolk subreddit lost patience with it.

sign.jpg

While I'd agree that there were a lot of abrupt about faces ironically I thought the source of that meme was 100% in character for Jaime- what he didn't like was pointless deaths, but he was more than willing to kill innocents or allow them to die, if there was a point to it. And he's been near entirely consistent about Cersei ultimately being the most important thing to him. If there's one example that demonstrates both it's him threatening to trebuchet Edmure's son into Riverrun if he doesn't surrender it- along with a spiel about how he'd 100% do it and that's how much he wants to get back to his sister's side. Aerys had already lost when he wanted to blow KL up so any more deaths would be pointless. But I'd fully expect him to throw the entirety of KL under the bus if he thought that he could get Cersei out (or have her win) in exchange, as that to him would not be pointless.

On Jorah, there's nothing quite like a True Believer that gets disillusioned. He's not just in love with Dany because he has a weakness for blondes, she represents something more to him. It would be difficult to credibly have her fall off her pedestal so far as he's concerned, but not impossible. End of the day though he was working for bobby b initially so that he could get a pardon and return home; if Dany starts threatening to burn that home indiscriminately if they wouldn't kneel and some of the other stuff she spouted to Jon then he should start having second thoughts. I've got little confidence that Benioff & Weiss could pull it off competently though, certainly within the restrictions they set for themselves time wise.

Edited by Zoraptor