TV & streaming thread

Amentep

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I haven't watched the 4th season on Netflix yet but the first 3 seasons were "alright", imo. Not to spoil anything, but I eventually was having a harder and harder time reconciling that Lucifer was so goddamn stupid about understanding humanity when hes literally been around since BEFORE humanity. 

I am not sure if you ever watched The Strain, its about Vampires and was entertaining. The main Vampire, called " The Master "  also talks about knowing and watching humanity for thousands of years but the difference is he wants to destroy all mankind or turn them into Vampire food 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, bugarup said:

I loved Lost and after its finale I started measuring suckitude of finales in Losts. The ending of KOTOR2, the ghastly thing that made me go and whine to my RL non-gamer friends, would be, like, about 8 miliLosts. That's how awful Lost's ending was. 

Out of curiousity, and if you have played Mass Effect, how much Lost would the ending of ME3 have then? 😄

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

11 hours ago, majestic said:

Out of curiousity, and if you have played Mass Effect, how much Lost would the ending of ME3 have then? 😄

Eh, I found ME3 sucking from the start so its ending wasn't as much as letdown as logical conclusion. About  0,7 milliLosts and I'm being generous. 8)

Watched the first two episodes of Chernobyl. It's rather good and has a fantastic creeping sense of dread equivalent to that of the Stalker games- though it remains to be seen if there will be any more historical revisions to increase the drama quotient.

.. for something that happened 33 years ago (!), but the helicopter crash shown in ep2 happened

after the fire was out in reality, and the three guys sent on the 'suicide mission' to open the sluice gates not only all survived opening it but two are still alive now (and the third died of a heart attack or similar a few years ago in his 70s)

13 hours ago, bugarup said:

Eh, I found ME3 sucking from the start so its ending wasn't as much as letdown as logical conclusion. About  0,7 milliLosts and I'm being generous. 8)

Thanks, let's agree to disagree on endings then. If Lost was bad, then Mass Effect 3's ending was 13.57 MegaLost. ;)

Edited by majestic

Been binging Cloak & Dagger. On the one hand, I really enjoy the characters in the series. On the other, the writing seems a bit daft at times.

Spoiler

Why is somebody with the awesome, god-like power to edit a human mind using it to create a brothel? Hmm.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

have been avoiding this thread 'cause o' spoilers, so hbo's adaptation o' phillip pullman works may have already been mentioned. apologies in advance if am repeating.

books were fantastic even if the movie adaptation soured more than a few on pullman's homage to milton.

the series were marketed to kids, but were nothing childish 'bout the books. series is on Gromnir's list o' best fantasy w/o any need to qualify as kid's fare.

almost as much as gaiman and pratchett's good omens, am looking forward to at least first episodes o' his dark materials.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Whelp that was a whimper. The night king coming back to wipe out Westeros would have been an improvement.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Would have been nice to end with with Daenerys' Great Crusade.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

How many Losts was that episode?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The GoT ending was fine.

21 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Game of Thrones

Reveal hidden contents

So. Did Drogon assume that the Iron Throne killed Dany?? :facepalm:

To be fair, there's an argument to make that it did. It was an... odd scene. The imagery's very on the nose, Dany's demise is rather anti-climactic too. But there were initially elements of that somewhat oneiric atmosphere of seasons 2 and 3 that initially hooked me into the series as well. As a whole the episode was patchy, as the rest of the season has been, but not altogether off the mark. Though I'm sure the GoT community will be enraged regardless.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm glad I read the spoilers. That was, in many ways, the most stupid ~75 minutes of tv I have watched but at least I was prepared. And yes, there was definitely some potential there which just makes it more stupid.

GoT spoilers of course

But the 'deep'/ character moments were nonsensical, poorly connected, badly written and when it came to symbolism so obvious that they fell flat, there was a lot of extremely fanservicey fanservice*- fricking fanfiction.net level trash- and the major plot points were mostly scarcely believable, and incoherently communicated. It would be way shorter to list the elements that didn't fit those descriptions than those that did.

Probably didn't need to spoiler that, in retrospect. Guess I kind of forgot to write the detailed critique I originally meant to.

*Rather amusingly I loved the absolute fanservice Luke Skywalker scene in Knightfall's finale (? presumably, since i haven't been following it) though.

• Like 3

well at least Bronn is the man now. I rooted for him from start so small victory for me

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I'm glad I read the spoilers. That was, in many ways, the most stupid ~75 minutes of tv I have watched but at least I was prepared. And yes, there was definitely some potential there which just makes it more stupid.

My thoughts exactly. Episode 3 and the dismissing of such an important aspect of the story (the most important in fact) was bad enough, but I'm happy I avoided the rest of the disappointment. Better to read the spoilers than to watch them unfold in the last episodes.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

I dunno. Wasn't the worst episode. Not sure what to make of it, tbh. The very ending scene confused me a bit, though.

Anyway. Kinda glad it is over now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It sure got to be the only episode of the series that had me checking news on my phone while it was running.

The entire season felt like a recent Zack Snyder movie. Visually bleak and undersaturated while both far too long and missing too many important scenes and events to make sense. That was Batman v Superman level of impressive. In all the wrong ways.

I'd give it half a Mass Effect. ;)

• Like 1

Am I the only one who didn't find the final episode bad? Yes, there was lot of room for improvement, but I still enjoyed it. Same goes for the whole last season. In the end I still think it was good television show.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

So what shows do you folks feel ended well?

I'd probably put Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Shield in my list. Weird how those are all a bit similar. I guess in less serious shows, The Office and Parks and Rec ended well too.

16 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So what shows do you folks feel ended well?

I'd probably put Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Shield in my list. Weird how those are all a bit similar. I guess in less serious shows, The Office and Parks and Rec ended well too.

Yes, The Wire and Breaking Bad are good examples. I also liked the ending of The Americans. Nothing extraordinary, but I liked it.

1 hour ago, kirottu said:

Am I the only one who didn't find the final episode bad? Yes, there was lot of room for improvement, but I still enjoyed it. Same goes for the whole last season. In the end I still think it was good television show.

It's definitely a very good show, even with the poorly executed S8. But it feels really bad because it could have been avoided easily. Apparently HBO offered more episodes and D&D didn't want them. Lots of stupid things could have been easily avoided too, for example:

the terrbile battle tactics were not necessary. You could have had the same results with good tactics:

- Dothraki waiting to flank the enemy and escaping when seeing how difficult it was

- Unsullied fighting behind the trenches, but the Night Kind destroying part of them for the army to enter the castle

- Rhaegal dying in the King's Landing battle, with a lucky shot followed by easier ones when he was hurt. Or maybe Euron had just a few ships/balistas hidden to attack when the dragons land.

- The attack on KL done at night, justifying Drogon's survival

- Daenerys properly mad, instead of telling Jon that she would liberate everyone, seemingly a perfect rational person before she died

And so on. A simple review of the writing would have avoided most of the criticism. Then have the Long Night take longer, with the northeners running to the south and showing it as a proper danger to the continent. Maybe even start the S8 after some battles were lost and people gathered in the twins or further south.

sign.jpg