TV & streaming thread

Amentep

Why was the Golden Company outside the city walls? GoT writers sure make their characters do really weird tactical decisions.

The Hound versus the Mountain fight was lit. For that fight alone I forgive all the bad stuff that happened in the episode.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Well, that episode was just kind of weird, much as the whole GoT season has been. I think the plot overall would be salvageable with proper build up/ exposition- and I don't really care about things like prophecies not being fulfilled, if they're philosophically going for prophecies being bunk- but the specific plotting and characterisation has been all over the place. What has happened is the logical conclusion of magical mystical teleporting Euron and Littlefinger in the previous season(s); the facts are dictated by whatever the plot needs at the time rather than the plot flowing from the logical progression of facts. They also seem to have no real clue how to explain their characters' motivations properly any more.

Hence Dany's heel turn manages to feel both predictable and out of left field at the same time. Which ought to be impossible.

I will say this on the characterisation though; Jaime has always been his sister's bitch and that's been consistent all the way back to "the thing's we do for love". Anyone expecting him to have a 'proper' redemption was kidding themselves. The last person left who could realistically get him to turn on Cersei jumped out a window at the end of S6. And Tyrion was always going to let Jaime out, after he let Tyrion out before his execution. Even him betraying Varys was in character as he's always been a pragmatist.

OTOH, Arya giving up revenge after like one line from Sandor was abrupt, and her panic was the sort of thing I'd expect from S1 Sansa; and Varys was... in the end a victim of there being no fake Aegon story line in the TV show which left him with a rather 'off' motivation (if he wanted rational/ good rulers he should have stuck a knife through Aerys 20 years ago) and looking like a putz.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Last week I found my DVD set of the HBO series Rome. I've been re watching it. I forgot how good it was. There are a lot of GoT actors on it too. Thanks God they were a bit more faithful to the source material in that one. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

To talk about something more amusing, what do you guys think of the rumor that George has finished the books already but had a deal with HBO to not release them prior to the show's end?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

This one? It was a 747, they got it off the ground well, flew it gracefully (for the most part) but just couldn't bring it in for a landing. If the plane crashed on landing no one remember how smooth the flight was. 

Good analogy. But they didn't simply crash, they pointed the nose down to finish it asap. It seems HBO let them have more episodes and they didn't want it.

This episode confirmed some leaks and

no matter how good a villain Daenerys can be or how much sense it makes, I don't think her defeat will be satisfying too. Who knows, maybe the true villain is the one who will end up on the Iron Throne, or at least with the crown. It would actually make sense.

To be fair, this looks worse because it used to be really good. The bigger they are, the higher they fall.

Edited by InsaneCommander
I still have no idea how to edit posts...
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

46 minutes ago, majestic said:

To talk about something more amusing, what do you guys think of the rumor that George has finished the books already but had a deal with HBO to not release them prior to the show's end?

To clarify, this isn't a rumor from fans, this is a direct statement by the actor who played Ser Barristan Selmy, who has met up with GRRM on multiple occassions. He flat out said "George already has the finished books" on a stage. He may have been talking out his behind, but as far as sources go that one's at least on a higher rung than, say, an anonymous 4chan post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We enjoyed season 4 of Luci but I wish it were longer. I'd actually like more "filler" episodes as this new season was the shortest so far. 

While a different issue I think STD could also benefit from more episodes as it might help with the pacing issues and their Zach Snyder-esque speed up, slow down character development. Would also help flesh out the rest of the crew. Though bad writing is still bad writing.

Edited by ShadySands
had to include Star Trek somehow

Free games updated 3/4/21

IC hit on a good point here. If we never heard of the books and this was just a TV show we'd be a lot more forgiving of all the plot holes, bad logic, and out of character stuff because the bar would just be lower. We EXPECT TV shows to be stupid and illogical. 

Duckman was ahead of his time (as he often was) in explaining how D&D are operating once the got off the leash of the source material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0N-kgMUbA&list=PLU5D41_64IxLx1cVxHp2a1RHaB1LE3uSW

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, TrueNeutral said:

To clarify, this isn't a rumor from fans, this is a direct statement by the actor who played Ser Barristan Selmy, who has met up with GRRM on multiple occassions. He flat out said "George already has the finished books" on a stage. He may have been talking out his behind, but as far as sources go that one's at least on a higher rung than, say, an anonymous 4chan post.

In all honesty I'm hoping it is true and hoping it is false at the same time. I want to get a proper ending to the series and would appreciate if the books were released soon, on the other hand, f*ck evreyone involved with that decision. It feels a bit like all those crowdfunded projects going Epic exclusive right before the finish line. On a rational level I completely understand their reasons and while I don't share a love for Steam with the complaints crowd or hate the Epic store it's still a crappy move towards anyone who invested to get the project going in the first place.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I could see that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stopped giving a **** and wanted to let TV writers finish the story for him regardless in any drop in cohesion or quality. 

My theory is that the hbo got is actually a prequel to berserk and that dany will sacrifice her followers to become Slan while Jon ends up as Skull Knight.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

43 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

IC hit on a good point here. If we never heard of the books and this was just a TV show we'd be a lot more forgiving of all the plot holes, bad logic, and out of character stuff because the bar would just be lower. We EXPECT TV shows to be stupid and illogical. 

I think for me it's more that the quality has just dropped off the continental shelf. If it wasn't so good in the beginning then I wouldn't have had some high expectations. I'm used to book adaptations being bad and this is a book series that I'm not familiar with.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well, I liked that GoT episode. Only one thing was bugging me this time: the super precise scorpions suddenly weren't super precise anymore. Hell, suddenly soldiers couldn't even move them while in the last episode, we've seen them machinegun-fire the heck out of them.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

36 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Well, I liked that GoT episode. Only one thing was bugging me this time: the super precise scorpions suddenly weren't super precise anymore. Hell, suddenly soldiers couldn't even move them while in the last episode, we've seen them machinegun-fire the heck out of them.

Exactly! They were only a problem when the plot needed the to be a problem. That is just plain lazy. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Shady you and I would agree DS9 was the high water mark for Trek. It was never so good before or after. But didn't you just watch that last episode and think WTF? 

It was a great ride. Too bad it crashed on the landing. It sours the whole thing. 

Thomas Sowell

6 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Shady you and I would agree DS9 was the high water mark for Trek. It was never so good before or after. But didn't you just watch that last episode and think WTF? 

It was a great ride. Too bad it crashed on the landing. It sours the whole thing. 

To be honest I had that moment at the end of Sacrifice of Angels. With the exception of a few standout episodes like In The Pale Moonlight is was all downhill from there. The ending was just icing on the cake.

DS9 had its best episodes during seasons 4 and 5. Caveat: I'm a huge Robert Hewitt Wolfe fanboy and as such probably not the most objective. :p

The worst Trek ending was Enterprise's, but I'm sure Discovery will eventually surpass it.

Edited by majestic
Added another complaint about These Are The Voyages... can't complain enought about that travesty of an idea

Realised Lucifer Season 4 was now out on Netflix and managed to catch the first couple of episodes.

Looks like they've done a very focused 10 episode season, so not expecting random filler episodes, but it also seems that Netflix is enjoying the fact that it's not Fox, and can push the boundaries a little more.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

^ Disagree on that last point. Her plot armor was always like that. How else would you survive a knife in the gut and a subsequent swim in the dirty sea? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Episode 8.4:

If she can destroy all the scorpions in KL and Euron's fleet, why not do it when Rhaegal died? And why kill the citizens? If she wanted to be feared, go to the Red Keep, kill Cersei and burn the Lannister soldiers after they surrender and are gathered outside without weapons.

Mad is one thing, but stupid is another.

sign.jpg

For me, she's stupid ever since day 1. Can't remember when I didn't facepalm about her.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Fun facts about GoT:

- Bricks killed more main characters than the Night King.

- Samwell Tarly killed more people than the entire Golden Company.

- Robert Baratheon was the true hero. He wanted to kill Dany in season 1.

- Joffrey was worried about Dany's dragons, but Tywin and the other Lannisters didn't care.

- The Simpsons predicted the future again.

- The Septa Cersei was torturing was presumably still under the Red Keep. Maybe Ellaria Sand too.

- Dany was once sad because her Dragons killed one child.

- The Mad King was actually not that bad. He only considered burning the city when he was losing, not when he was winning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

yeah she was stupid from day one and never actually done anything, she always stumble upton people who done **** for her. On other hand that 180 switch from breaker of chains to butcher of innocent because someone touched here lesbian lover while millions are dying around her was tad too much. I mean I would be all for her to go mad, but it needed like 3 more series to get to that point

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"