TV & streaming thread

Amentep

Unsound deployment of mobile cavalry. Improper management of air support assets. Knowingly and willfully splitting your smaller force then attacking with one of those two TWO WHOLE WEEKS before the other is in position? It's not just reckless, it's folly. Moving into enemy controlled territory at all with no intelligence of the deployment and disposition of the hostile forces just compounds that folly. Plus you have some legit unconventional/black ops assets at your disposal. Do that before even considering an attack! You know the one that can change their face and is handy with a knife? 

Jon & Dany would have been better served staying in Winterfell for a few weeks and learned a few things about battle tactics. Maybe read a few books while they were at it. This would have been a good start:

9780465013272.jpg?fit=411,630

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Game of Thrones S8E4

They have the only air force and get surprised by the enemy's navy??? Wtf? At this rate they will probably drop their weapons and slap each others faces in the last battle.

:facepalm::banghead:

14 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Unsound deployment of mobile cavalry. Improper management of air support assets. Knowingly and willfully splitting your smaller force then attacking with one of those two TWO WHOLE WEEKS before the other is in position? It's not just reckless, it's folly. Moving into enemy controlled territory at all with no intelligence of the deployment and disposition of the hostile forces just compounds that folly. Plus you have some legit unconventional/black ops assets at your disposal. Do that before even considering an attack! You know the one that can change their face and is handy with a knife? 

Jon & Dany would have been better served staying in Winterfell for a few weeks and learned a few things about battle tactics. Maybe read a few books while they were at it. This would have been a good start: 

Well

Sansa did suggest that they wait. But maybe she knew it would have the opposite effect and she actually wanted Dany to leave.

With all the terrible writing,

should I expect something interesting based on Euron's surprise at the end of the promo for the next episode? Or is he scared despite having alreay killed a Dragon?

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, algroth said:

A rather amusing defense of the tactics in The Long Night, even if I don't quite agree with Matt on this one.

Honestly, I wouldn't have cared about their tactics if I could see that damn battle. The whole of season 8 episode 3 looked like a black screen to me. Epic fail.

Please remember to put spoilers in spoiler boxes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Finished season 1 of Community. Was great and hilarious up until the end where it limped across the finish line.

Sounds like The Office, though that stays strong for at least 7 seasons. I've been trying to decide whether to start Community or not, I thought it had more than a few good seasons in its run.

7 hours ago, injurai said:

Sounds like The Office, though that stays strong for at least 7 seasons. I've been trying to decide whether to start Community or not, I thought it had more than a few good seasons in its run.

We'll probably start the second season today, it was just the way that the finale ended that was offputting. I'd highly recommend the show so far.

The DS9 doc was pretty good. Nana Visitor (Kira) really did not like Marc Alaimo (Dukat).

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

GoT spoilers

At this point the plot is mostly about characters lurching from one poorly thought out spectacle to another. You could have a fleet ambush dragons- via perfidy for example, flying false colours, impersonating a merchant ship or a faked surrender any of which Euron would use no trouble*- but the way they did it was simply stupid. The explanation given by the showrunners that Dany 'forgot' Cersei had a fleet (!) is abjectly idiotic and given what has happened in the show is rather like Napoleon or WW1 Germany forgetting Britain had a fleet. I'd believe that GRRM had something like "Euron ambushes Dany and kills a dragon" in his notes and that's literally what they went with verbatim.

Can't help but think that the reason for splitting the forces has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with building/ setting up Aegon/ Dany tension. That tension is not being built up with a great deal of subtlety either, indeed a Dany heel turn is being outright telegraphed though I'm still skeptical of it being carried through.

*in the books Euron has a- supposed/ claimed- anti dragon horn he could use.

Edited by Zoraptor

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

We'll probably start the second season today, it was just the way that the finale ended that was offputting. I'd highly recommend the show so far.

The DS9 doc was pretty good. Nana Visitor (Kira) really did not like Marc Alaimo (Dukat).

What DS9 doc?

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

GoT spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

At this point the plot is mostly about characters lurching from one poorly thought out spectacle to another. You could have a fleet ambush dragons- via perfidy for example, flying false colours, impersonating a merchant ship or a faked surrender any of which Euron would use no trouble*- but the way they did it was simply stupid. The explanation given by the showrunners that Dany 'forgot' Cersei had a fleet (!) is abjectly idiotic and given what has happened in the show is rather like Napoleon or WW1 Germany forgetting Britain had a fleet. I'd believe that GRRM had something like "Euron ambushes Dany and kills a dragon" in his notes and that's literally what they went with verbatim.

Can't help but think that the reason for splitting the forces has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with building/ setting up Aegon/ Dany tension. That tension is not being built up with a great deal of subtlety either, indeed a Dany heel turn is being outright telegraphed though I'm still skeptical of it being carried through.

*in the books Euron has a- supposed/ claimed- anti dragon horn he could use.

I wonder if Dany's "upcoming" heel turn is canon insofar as it is based on GRRM's notes or an idea he has for the final pieces of the story.

Mostly beause I've maintained that Dany's coin flipped very much on the madness side ever since A Clash of Kings.  I've been convinced that she's bat**** insane. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

What We Left Behind is the name of the doc. It had a crowdfunding campaign some years ago and we finally got to have a look at it for a short while last week. The streaming platform they used really sucked though and I have no idea when we'll get to have it for keeps in either digital or whatever physical media exists nowadays.

• Thanks 1

Hide contents

I wonder if Dany's "upcoming" heel turn is canon insofar as it is based on GRRM's notes or an idea he has for the final pieces of the story.

Mostly beause I've maintained that Dany's coin flipped very much on the madness side ever since A Clash of Kings.  I've been convinced that she's bat**** insane.

Don't know about her being actually insane, but she's clearly a narcissist who believes her own press at very least and they only tend to go off the deep end when things don't go their way. Considering her father's predilection for randomly burning people alive her burning the Tarly's was ridiculously tone deaf but at least that time it was more or less believably so (and I'm not sure anyone has ever told her about Aerys's worst excesses either in the books  or the show). I'd easily believe from both books and show that she's psychologically incapable of not seeing herself as top dog and the chosen one, beloved of the people.

OTOH, as Sansa (or was it Arya) noted Jon is more than a bit of a doormat where she's concerned so there's no inevitability about him pressing his claim; question is more whether she decides he's too dangerous to her or she does something he really cannot stomach; which has been fairly blatantly set up as a possibility. Overall though I'd still put money on a marriage solution in the end rather than any 'permanent' villain role.

Edited by Zoraptor

45 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:
  Hide contents

Overall though I'd still put money on a marriage solution in the end rather than any 'permanent' villain role.

They will probably repeat what they wanted and go for something "nobody expects", like Arya and the Night King. But considering that, at least imo, Arya was one of the most likely candidates for killing him, I wouldn't be surprise if it ends with Dany or Jon on the throne.

Dumb and Dumber will probably consider that "subverting expectations".

sign.jpg

I'm feeling some sort of conan the barbarian ending, where everyone dies and Jon ends up on the throne he didn't wanted and is now ruling over all that is left.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Watched Rilakkuma and Kaoru. It is really good show if you want to feel warm and fuzzy inside. The claymation is done very well and it is a really sweet treat for the eyes. Some of the voice actors are a little iffy with the delivery of some of their lines (mostly the ones that are really on the nose about the message). But all in all if you want to relax and unwind, plop on your sofa andwatch this show.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:12 AM, majestic said:

What DS9 doc?

BrightHastyCormorant-max-1mb.gif

edit: pls convince me to watch DIS last two or three chapters. Really cba

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

3 hours ago, 213374U said:

pls convince me to watch DIS last two or three chapters. Really cba

Might be worth it just to see how big they think they went. It is an interesting trainwreck just try not to think about it very much, or at all really, if possible.

I can give you a quote from the latest Half in the Bag episode about the ending of DIS S2:

"Discovery really sh*t the bed."
-- Mike Stoklasa

Wait, you said you wanted to be motivated to watch. Never mind then. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Up to episode 6, season 2 of Happy! I swear it gets weirder with each episode. Very dark humor, but a lot of fun to watch.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

GoT penultimate episode. Lots of **** going on, pretty predictable "twist", and setup for certain developments. TN was right, if a certain existential threat doesn't come back this show sucks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Holy ****, GoT just went full Come and See in that episode. Some superb stuff mixed with some somewhat confusing character decisions.

Been speculating for a while that Dany would end up being the big bad. Her liberator shtick only went so far but the iconography all around her screamed tyrant. She makes for an interesting final villain even if the shift comes up very abruptly.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

GoT just pissed away 7 seasons of character development and ignored every rule about their own plot devices that they created. Ending  a series well is hard to do I get that. So many great TV shows have ended badly. In fact it's easier to count the ones that "stuck the landing". Cheers and MASH come to mind a TV series that ended well (Cheers was perfect). This one? It was a 747, they got it off the ground well, flew it gracefully (for the most part) but just couldn't bring it in for a landing. If the plane crashed on landing no one remember how smooth the flight was. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell