TV & streaming thread

Amentep

I'm a bit baffled about how many subsidiary series they're trying to set up now, having an actual Enterprise crew + set (or was it the movie one?) and a decent level actor with Commander Mystique kind of suggests they want to do more with Enterprise as well as the S31 series.

Anson Mount response to the petition for a Pike series on Twitter.

Sign here?

sign.jpg

Edit:

Is it really a problem that Jon is who he is? He doesn't want a crown and is a man of honor, just tell Daenerys that he'll keep his word and if he marries her she will have an even stronger claim. :shrugz:

Also: the Night's Watch was kind of irrelevant. They weren't necessary to stop the White Walkers, just to prevent the Wildlings from coming earlier.

I think the conundrum is less what it represents to Jon - though that is surely important in and of itself - and more what does for Dany's claim. Her claim does seem to fall down to, by and large, being her 'birthright'... But what if it isn't anymore? What becomes the primary motive for her desire to rule over the Seven Kingdoms then, and is it a legitimate claim? Does she yield to the true heir? Or will she be unwilling to do so, and possibly respond violently to maintain her claim? The reveal basically places Jon as a direct obstacle in the way, or a possible contender, and is by extent a point of conflict between the two.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

All this talk about birthright is confusing to me anyway... Can anyone prove that Jon is who he is? Does everyone just believe him if he says so? Just because Bran says so?

Maybe Dany doesn't want the throne anymore once she hears about this. Jon doesn't want it anyway. That means everyone can stay where they are, problem solved, everyone is happy.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Lord Reed can verify it. He was at the Tower of Joy. Practically, others may not believe him, but he is an actual eyewitness as opposed to a, er, 3 eyed witness.

The obvious solution is of course them marrying each other as that way it doesn't matter whose claim is better. After all we've seen of Dany I cannot see her willingly giving up her claim any other way no matter if it's theoretically to another Targaryen with a better claim.

He's been the best part of the season, and without the advantage Captain Malfoy had of being a more interesting character type. There would be a lot worse ideas for a spinoff.

I just watched Black Summer and I think its the best  " Zombie-Apocalypse "  series I have ever seen, I got tired of Walking Dead but this news series is much more darker,brutal and frenetic 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So I watched the first episode (Pilot part 1) of Legends of Tomorrow series via Netflix. I liked that first episode. It was predictable and cheesy but that sorta tasty cheese type of entertaining.

Then I watched the 2nd episode (Pilot part 2) and for some reason it lost all charm for me. I mean it still had moments but the cheese stopped being entertaining and just became ... moldy cheese.

I guess it's done well enough for CW to make it to a 4th season, I may give it a few more episodes to see which type of cheese it settles into.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you don't like S1 of LoT you should consider giving S2 a try at least. S1 kind of falls into the trap of being too serious to be entertainingly camp, but also too camp to be taken seriously. Season 2 plays far more to the show's strengths- which is definitely being entertaining self aware cheese rather than compelling drama- and has far better antagonists.

Oh, wow. Kurtzman's "reconcilliation" with the original Star Trek timeline is...

The Federation not talking about Discovery, the Spore Drive and a vow to reform Section 31. That's even dumber than the fan theory I heard where the Borg come to fix the timeline.

Great points for comedic value when Reno says she can't violate the basic laws of physics but Pike a few minutes later watches

a photon torpedo detonate in his face that would have taken out "half the ship" but now doesn't because they managed to close a blast door.

Well at least it's over now, until they actually really make a Pike series with the Enterprise.

I know that after B&B messed up Enterprise I said they shouldn't be allowed to touch Trek with a 10 foot pole but please can we haz them back now? Pwetty please?

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Best part for me was when

Pike makes a point that people are dying and they can't afford to waste a single moment then cut to Burnham wasting many minutes and lives to do "the drama." Was almost as bad as when Burnham was going to let Airiam kill her and take the data and let Control kill all sentient life in the galaxy because she just couldn't bring herself kill barely-there background character #7. Thing is I think the actress does a pretty good job but the material she's given is just nonsensical and overwrought.

That said, I didn't hate it but I've completely given up on it being what I want or look for in a Trek show.

I even think it will likely improve a lot now that they aren't confined by being a prequel.

Another surprise was Georgiou going into the future with the Discovery. I would have bet money that her Section 31 series would have stayed in the same timeline. Seems they should have swapped her and Ash Tyler as we know how shady and non-Starfleet affiliated Section 31 turns out and taking it in that direction would have been a better fit for her than him. I guess maybe the real reason not to take him along is that they are finally done with the character.

The Federation not talking about Discovery, the Spore Drive and a vow to reform Section 31. That's even dumber than the fan theory I heard where the Borg come to fix the timeline.

Great points for comedic value when Reno says she can't violate the basic laws of physics but Pike a few minutes later watches

a photon torpedo detonate in his face that would have taken out "half the ship" but now doesn't because they managed to close a blast door.

You'd think that they'd have had some other solution to pulling the manual release than that. I mean they had robots fixing up the hull and you're telling me they couldn't have rigged something to pull a lever down

Well at least it's over now, until they actually really make a Pike series with the Enterprise.

I know that after B&B messed up Enterprise I said they shouldn't be allowed to touch Trek with a 10 foot pole but please can we haz them back now? Pwetty please?

Pike was my favorite part of the second season so I'd be down for that series. It seems like the episode could have doubled as a back door pilot anyways.

Bonus points for

nanites that are seemingly immune to all energy weapons fire but are amazingly susceptible to magnetism

edit 32: more redactions than the Mueller report

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've just about done a full 180 on Braga, it was very fashionable to blame him for all the problems with Voyager and Enterprise but he's done some decent stuff since. He's clearly not a televisual genius, but he certainly isn't the anti Midas he was painted as either.

(Haven't seen the last Discovery episode yet, but I'm not expecting much. If it gets away with less than a quarter of the episode being pointless melodrama I'd count that as a blessing, but I won't be holding my breath.)

• Like 1

I've just about done a full 180 on Braga, it was very fashionable to blame him for all the problems with Voyager and Enterprise but he's done some decent stuff since. He's clearly not a televisual genius, but he certainly isn't the anti Midas he was painted as either.

That's probably a fair and balanced take. There's also Rick Berman to blame as well. :p

In all seriousness the Star Trek creative team worked on the various series for what, up to 15 years at that point? There's got to be some exhaustion after all that time. Hindsight and some distance helps immensly with putting things into perspective, but at the time when Enterprise came out? Yeah, I was there, clamoring for a lynching as much as anyone.

It also didn't help that Braga was invovled with great offerings like Mission Impossible 2 and Threshold. Heh.

(Haven't seen the last Discovery episode yet, but I'm not expecting much. If it gets away with less than a quarter of the episode being pointless melodrama I'd count that as a blessing, but I won't be holding my breath.)

It's less, but more intense. The rest of the episode is flashy shaky cam special effects battle nonsense with a dash or two of stupid.

Apparently Trek ships now carry a full complement of fighter craft and the first volleys exchanged looked an awful lot like a space battle in Battlestar Galactica with Trek window dressing. Oh and the Enterprise has automated repair drones that look like EVE from Wall-E. I wish I was making this up.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

DS9 was boring. I did like a couple chrs. initially but overall it was boring. Voyager was even more boring outside of the holographic doc.

Nathan Fillion sure is cute tho. :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been waiting for any excuse to post this

We started watching the Rookie just for Fillion. I think we're only like 3 episodes in and it's better than we thought it would be but it still doesn't fill that Castle shaped hole in our hearts.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to rewatch Slither.

E: autocorrect on my phone changed Fillion to filling me... or does it know something I don't

E2, Brute: We laughed so hard at the club scene on the Orville.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Jonathan Frakes is nowhere near as adorable. :(

I'm pretty sure I've had brief discussions re: ds9 etc. here, before. Not saying I thought Enterprise was an uber awesome series or anything, only that I found it more watchable than the others. I mean truth be told, if I go back and watch even ST:TNG now, I'd probably find about half the episodes, all seasons, not just the first one or two, hard to watch now. Picard pontificating and going "conference room, now" in the middle of some battle. Still have fave episodes, but in general...

After ST:TOS it was mostly about chrs. I liked that made the new Treks watchable, not so much their content. Like, if it wasn't a mostly "Data" or "Picard" or "Q" episode I'd be "meh."

Likely the worst TNG episode ever and it was the 7th season.

• Like 3

Voyager was pretty much.. every 4th episode someone broke onto the ship. Every 6th episode someone stole the ship. Every 9th episode someone stole the ship's crew....

How Tuvok kept his job I have no idea. That was not good security. Of course, half of that was Janeway.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My favorite moment in Discovery was when

all the drones were disabled and Leland Control (why do they still call him Leland?) was destroyed. But they still decided to go to the future.  :facepalm:  :banghead:

But the

anti-matter blast door and the Eve drones that can't pull a lever were funny too. I almost forgot it was supposed to be Star Trek. lol

I must be the only one here that liked Voyager. :lol: Of course 80% of that was male gazing the hell out of Jeri Ryan, but still...BORG!

I almost stopped watching the show after that episode

that had Janeway and Paris "evolve" into some sort of crocodile, mate, lay eggs on a unexplored planet, leave and never talk about it again. Wtf?!?

• Like 2

sign.jpg

I also liked Enterprise which, alongside DS9, were my favorite ST series. Never understood all the complaints about Enterprise; seemed rather nittpicky. And yes, many TNG episodes were lousy and Picard routinely annoyed the heck out of me.

I almost stopped watching the show after that episode

that had Janeway and Paris "evolve" into some sort of crocodile, mate, lay eggs on a unexplored planet, leave and never talk about it again. Wtf?!?

I heard that was one of the most hated episodes of all Star Trek, so that's not surprising.

• Like 1