TV & streaming thread

Amentep

I started watching on Netflix an Australian TV series called Glitch, its excellent and very compelling. Its about a small backwater town where a group of people return from the dead...it may sound absurd but I am really enjoying how the show portrays this type of bizarre phenomena and how normal people react to the mystery of whats going on 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heard about a new Ultraman animated series on Netflix. First episode I was all "what? who? this doesn't feel like Ultraman" - not that I know much about Ultraman beyond the 1960's, poorly dubbed, men-in-rubber-suits live action version the US played way back when.

By the end of the 2nd episode with all the intro stuff out of the way, I was kind of liking it as its own thing. We'll see.

Still doesn't beat people in rubber suits, however. Now that's entertainment.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heard about a new Ultraman animated series on Netflix. First episode I was all "what? who? this doesn't feel like Ultraman" - not that I know much about Ultraman beyond the 1960's, poorly dubbed, men-in-rubber-suits live action version the US played way back when.

By the end of the 2nd episode with all the intro stuff out of the way, I was kind of liking it as its own thing. We'll see.

Still doesn't beat people in rubber suits, however. Now that's entertainment.

I noticed  that series as well, keep us updated around what you think about it at the end 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm watching Gifted. It's not bad? 5 episodes in and I don't really care what happens next, but I also haven't decided to abandon it entirely.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Don't know Cowboy Bebop but I'm interested in seeing whatever Shakir is in after his role in Luke Cage

spike spiegel is kinda a combo o' steve mcqueen and bruce lee, so sam cho is the first quy we thought of for casting choices.

maybe not.

jet is s'posed to be a world weary ex-cop too honest for his own good.  we always got the impression he were s'posed to be late 40s, but turned out he were mid 30s, but in the anime universe, 35ish is ancient?  jet reminded us a bit o' connery from outland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WBk6nrYC0

outland were a western but in space.  borrowed heavily from high nooncowboy bebop also borrowed heavily from american westerns. we got no problem with the mustafa shakir casting, but am hoping they don't use the character like danny glover's murtaugh from lethal weapon.  in the anime, jet is sage advice and tending towards caution, while spike is young, brash and a martial arts whiz who is equal adept with firearms.  

real casting choice is who they get for abdul hakim, who is clear an homage to 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am thinking we mentioned once or twice how we loathe most anime.  fact is, we kinda dislike 'bout half o' cowboy bebop episodes too.  however, is some excellent episodes as well.  am modest curious 'bout the live-action.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ultraman - finished it.

My overall take on this new series is that it should have been called "UltraBoy." It's basically an origin story for Son of Ultraman. Where the boy spends most of the series being a rather angsty teenager (the 'needs to grow up' tropes), which is rather annoying. The first subplot re: some teen girl pop singer in danger might work for teens and I'd guess it's a humanizing (vs. violence of superheros) device but doesn't work for me. At times it feels like a strange cross between Ironman and Men In Black (not humorously).

That said, there are elements that did work, like the Moroboshi chr., the one-eye alien (I find myself curious if he has any hidden long term agendas), a couple other chrs. Once you get past Episode 8 or so, there's a new subplot that works a lot better with new chrs introduced and makes you see possibilities for a season 2.

P.S. I watched in Japanese/subbed.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ultraman - finished it.

My overall take on this new series is that it should have been called "UltraBoy." It's basically an origin story for Son of Ultraman. Where the boy spends most of the series being a rather angsty teenager (the 'needs to grow up' tropes), which is rather annoying. The first subplot re: some teen girl pop singer in danger might work for teens and I'd guess it's a humanizing (vs. violence of superheros) device but doesn't work for me. At times it feels like a strange cross between Ironman and Men In Black (not humorously).

That said, there are elements that did work, like the Moroboshi chr., the one-eye alien (I find myself curious if he has any hidden long term agendas), a couple other chrs. Once you get past Episode 8 or so, there's a new subplot that works a lot better with new chrs introduced and makes you see possibilities for a season 2.

P.S. I watched in Japanese/subbed.

Thanks for the review, I'll definitely be skipping this one  :yes:

John Milton 

So I started Black Mirror. I'm in season 4 now and Jesus Christ, after every episode I feel like ****. Not sure why I'm doing this to me.

The only episode where I felt kinda relieved in the end was the social media one... Yeah, she was at a 0 score in the end, but also happy.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So I started Black Mirror. I'm in season 4 now and Jesus Christ, after every episode I feel like ****. Not sure why I'm doing this to me.

The only episode where I felt kinda relieved in the end was the social media one... Yeah, she was at a 0 score in the end, but also happy.

What about the one with two ladies in love? I thought it was pretty  :cat: too. 

I love Black Mirror. My bestest favouritest series of recent years. Reminds me a little bit of "Tales from the Crypt". Only without the Keeper. And tech-based instead of mystical paranormal. And less campy. 

Finished Umbrella Academy. I almost gave up on it but I enjoyed the final few minutes.

I watched it entirely for the teleporting kid. He was the only good thing in it, but his part was so good.

Finished Umbrella Academy. I almost gave up on it but I enjoyed the final few minutes.

I watched it entirely for the teleporting kid. He was the only good thing in it, but his part was so good.

Strongly disagree! :lol: I stuck with it almost entirely for Klaus, and teleporting kid bugged the hell out of me.

Klaus was good, too. I don't know why I blanked out on him.

Regarding the Borg

they claim to be hundreds of thousands qqof years old so unless it's a lie Leland would have to go way, way back in time and across the Galaxy to be some kind of proto-Borg. I'm also recalling that in Voyager they were supposed to have already been modern Borg at least a thousand years earlier. So he'd have to go back at least before that.

Well, the "plot" thickens... :banghead:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.