TV & streaming thread

Amentep

Dear Star Trek Discovery,

There is no dramatic tension from threatening to kill characters when you can't even leave the ones you do kill dead. And no, someone with a dozen lines across the entire run (apart from the ep they die in of course) dying is not a substitute even if you hold a 15 minute funeral for them next ep.

In all honesty, I half expected the Red Angel to be fricking Lucius Malfoy back from the dead. Guess I was half right, FACPOV

• Like 2

Well, that was one terrible episode.

The tension at the end left me at the edge of my seat. From almost falling off after dozing off.

Good job making Michael a wangsty teenager for half the episode by the way. Sheesh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Dear Star Trek Discovery,

There is no dramatic tension from threatening to kill characters when you can't even leave the ones you do kill dead. And no, someone with a dozen lines across the entire run (apart from the ep they die in of course) dying is not a substitute even if you hold a 15 minute funeral for them next ep.

The funeral was just awful. They told tales how important she had been for them and for the ship, but none of it was ever shown. It was like a funeral service for a Red Shirt.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

We've finally started watching this past weekend and I'm starting to think this show just isn't for us even though we're huge Trek fans. It doesn't feel like Trek to us and I know that's pretty nebulous but it's kind of hard to put into words why it falls so short of the mark. My wife turned to me and said I think I'd rather rewatch Voyager which is our least favorite Trek show that we've seen to the end. 

Speaking of Voyager Tuvok (and the characters Tim Russ played on TNG and DS9 whose names I'm ashamed I don't know off the top of my head) was on the Orville. A real WTF moment :p

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

We've finally started watching this past weekend and I'm starting to think this show just isn't for us even though we're huge Trek fans. It doesn't feel like Trek to us and I know that's pretty nebulous but it's kind of hard to put into words why it falls so short of the mark.

That's not nebulous at all. :)

Doesn't feel like Trek describes it pretty well. It's like someone described what makes good Trek to the producers- quite possibly via Power Point presentation- and they didn't bother actually watching any.

IMO it's even worse than that: I'm not irremediably wedded to it being 'good Trek' personally, and enjoyed the 1st season in part because it was a bit divergent from standard Trek tropes (as was DS9 for that matter), but this season isn't even close to good television in absolute terms. It feels like someone described good TV to the producers via Power Point as well. The basic elements of what made something like TNG or DS9 successful are there, but only as cosmetics and the feel is of a checklist being run through with the focus being on action scenes with zero tension and the almost comically over the top melodrama.

The positives of the season are Pike, and the bridge crew being a bit more fleshed out. I guess Spock turned out better than I feared as well. Sadly, that's about it.

I wonder how many people that first episode of Love, Death + Robots stopped from continuing. It's like an edgelord explosion of edginess for the sake of being edgy.

Apparently there's (maybe?) 4 different episode orders, based on no one knows what, . So not everyone is getting the same first episode.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/love-death-and-robots-netflix-episode-order-changing-1202052377/

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I wonder how many people that first episode of Love, Death + Robots stopped from continuing. It's like an edgelord explosion of edginess for the sake of being edgy.

Apparently there's (maybe?) 4 different episode orders, based on no one knows what, . So not everyone is getting the same first episode.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/love-death-and-robots-netflix-episode-order-changing-1202052377/

Well looks like I need to clarify then, I was talking about the episode Sonnie's Edge which was the first for me, and apparenly is the first episode of the default order (at least as far as external info sites are concerned). :)

finished umbrella academy.

time travel sucks.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I started watching American Horror story today. So far it's Amytiville meets It

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Been binge-watching Miami Vice commercial-free on Starsz. As a product of the 80s I love that show, cheese and all. :)

possible the only good part 'bout growing up poor in the 80s is we couldn't afford all the horrible fashion nonsense which were the de rigueur.  no flock o' seagulls hair.  no parachute pants. no mesh anything. is thus no embarrassing 80s pictures o' Gromnir. more accurate, is no embarrassing 80s fashion pictures o' Gromnir.

we did have a second-hand members only jacket.  weird.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Watched Love, Death + Robots. It was pretty great most of the time, very much like the old Heavy Metal.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Been binge-watching Miami Vice commercial-free on Starsz. As a product of the 80s I love that show, cheese and all. :)

possible the only good part 'bout growing up poor in the 80s is we couldn't afford all the horrible fashion nonsense which were the de rigueur.  no flock o' seagulls hair.  no parachute pants. no mesh anything. is thus no embarrassing 80s pictures o' Gromnir. more accurate, is no embarrassing 80s fashion pictures o' Gromnir.

we did have a second-hand members only jacket.  weird.

HA! Good Fun!

My parents bought me a Z Cavaricci t-shirt, since I couldn't afford the pants. It didn't work, middle school was rough. At least until I started playing hockey and solving problems with my fists. :p

• Like 1

Finally all caught up on STD. Even though I still think it doesn't feel like Trek I still liked the episodes until I got to the last two. I don't even know if I want to keep watching now. I'll probably wait until the season is over and see what you guys say here. I can't believe someone wrote them and then someone else approved that crap.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Saw Farscape is now on Amazon Prime for the anniversary, so pondering on having a binge watch this coming weekend...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The episode "Evan" is still one of my all time favorites of any hour-long US series. Bought that season on DVD partly because of that.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just watched all 3 seasons of Van Helsing and I think its excellent, highly recommended for those that enjoy these types of Vampire genres 

I am also busy with the latest season of Magicians, its good ...not excellent but good  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Finished Love, Death + Robots.

Was pretty good overall, some episodes are simply epic (Three Robots is amazing). Sonnie's Edge is still not good, except for the animation of course. Beyond the Aquila Rift reminded me a bit of the Outer Limits revival show episode Tempests.