TV & streaming thread

Amentep

Old thread - https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106337-tvs-vast-wasteland/page-27

I didnt watch it last night because my wife was working and I wanted to save it to watch together. The urge to spoil myself rotten beforehand is strong.

I couldn't watch it yet either. Probably tomorrow. It's killing me.

Watching it right now. :lol:

Finished The Dragon Prince. Fantastic animated show, as long as it doesn't get cancelled it might become one of the best.

Also saw Russian Doll. Meh! Every single character was unlikeable.

I watched an episode of Russian Doll and I think I got lung cancer from all the smoking.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Letha finale - I don't know what but something just felt off about it

Orville - I was wondering how they were going to get out of the situation from last episode

I half expected the Krill to turn on the Union after they drove the Kaylons away but I guess that's too much betrayal. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

Orville - I was wondering how they were going to get out of the situation from last episode

I half expected the Krill to turn on the Union after they drove the Kaylons away but I guess that's too much betrayal. 

I presume they don't have the budget for big space battles every week. Discovery avoided that by having Discovery disappear for most of their war, it's a bit impractical in this case. Guess it's one of the advantages of having a highly religious antagonist, you can explain such things away via religion.

Happy with those eps overall. Would have had a bit more weight if an 'important' character had died and not just redshirts (apart from Captain Almeida, and on that subject their guest stars are always on point) and there were one or two logical inconsistencies- no networking in a computer/ android society so they don't know when a unit has been destroyed seems unlikely; and the crawlspace design having such a narrow entrance was contrived to say the least, if the crawlspace is large enough for an adult why would the entrance be made artificially small except for the plot demanding it? It would have been refreshing if Isaac had stayed an antagonist as well, but I guess clichés become chlichés for a reason, or something.

Biggest swerve: Isaac being named after Newton, not Asimov. Did not see that coming

That was a really good episode. Im glad I didnt spoil myself.

And that space battle is legit one of the better ones Ive seen. That they were were willing to go all in with the death and destruction was an interesting evolution to the show and Im glad it didnt turn out to be a test / simulation. It was war of survival.

• Like 1

I wish someone would bring back WMAC Masters.  That show was amazingly cheesy and wonderful, sadly it only lasted 2 seasons. For those not familiar with WMAC Masters, it was a TV show that ran in the mid 90s. Imagine if Mortal Kombat was a live action TV show, now turn the cheese factor up to 11. They had health bars on the screen for dudes taking on gangs of ninjas. It was everything I ever wanted in a TV show.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Watched more Umbrella Academy, I think I'm up to the 8th episode.

At that point my chr. affection switched over to the hitmen, particularly Hazel (the guy). Doing my usual lookup, he had an important role in the series Mindhunter - which overall was a better series than TUA. I think he may have at least a nice "chr. role" career ahead of him if he wants it.

Anyway, even tho I enjoy the hitmen on their own, in terms of the series I'm not quite sure why so much attention is placed on them. It feels like filler. The visuals are still fun and I like the music but the further the series goes the less appealing it is overall. Even if you like some chrs. it all feels kind of disconnected so far.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi via Netflix

Hm why haven't I noticed this one before. It reminds me, in flavor, a bit of both Goblin and Masters Sun. So supernatural, deities, demons, ghosts, comedy, (probably eventually) tragedy, romance. On episode 5, very bingeable so far. And the actor playing Ma Wong is killing it. I'm in stitches almost every time he has a longer scene.

(He's not human and Sam Jang = a special/rare human that has an irresistible blood-scent)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

K-Pop stars named in growing South Korea sex scandal

poor lady crimson.  we will light a candle for her for today, this day o' dread and sorrow, for on this morn we truly understand that scene from hamlet

innocence has died and we are all diminished by the passing.

oh and how doubly tragic and ironic as is it not white day?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Watched After Life on Netflix.

Language warning, lots of cursing:

Well worth a watch. Bloody fantastic, actually. Final episode gets a bit too sappy perhaps.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Can anyone explain to me why there was no new episode of The Orville this week? Didn't they skip one already recently?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It was preempted; Fox aired the iHeartRadio Music Awards last night.  Last episode of the season for The Orville is 3/21.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I watched several of the very short episodes of Love, Death & Robots on Netflix. It's very much like you're watching high quality student short animated films. Most of them are not suitable for children, or at the least, be aware many are uber violent or nudity/sex moments. There are some lighter/cuter ones however.

Quality and subject varies a lot so some you'll probably like, some you won't, etc. I don't care about death-match type scenarios so a couple of those to me were bleh. One of my faves so far was the one called Suits. Another one was Good Hunting...which was kind of disturbing, bizarre, and sad all at the same time. Anyway, since they're all like 6-15 minutes, worth skipping around for ones you like.

I wonder how many people that first episode of Love, Death + Robots stopped from continuing. It's like an edgelord explosion of edginess for the sake of being edgy.

Look at us, we're animated entertainment for adults. We have violence, swearing, boobies, lesbians and (off-screen) gang rape. All handled with tasteful, uhm, immaturity.

But yeah, some episodes are fun and they're so short the bad ones don't really matter. It's just sad that the frist episode is that... eh. Well, edgy.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. That dude in the After Life trailer looks edgier than a fully upgraded Uchigatana. 'I do what I want and if I can't do it I'll just kill myself'. I be like: 'dude, couldn't you kill yourself now? Because rest assured there are things in this world you can't do'.

Love, Death + Robots looks awesome though, pure fantasy, helps me relax a bit. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I wonder how many people that first episode of Love, Death + Robots stopped from continuing. It's like an edgelord explosion of edginess for the sake of being edgy.

Look at us, we're animated entertainment for adults. We have violence, swearing, boobies, lesbians and (off-screen) gang rape. All handled with tasteful, uhm, immaturity.

But yeah, some episodes are fun and they're so short the bad ones don't really matter. It's just sad that the frist episode is that... eh. Well, edgy.

I skipped the first episode to be honest. I always go to the Episodes list and read the descriptions, if such is provided. The description didn't sound appealing to my tastes so I didn't start there.

Started The Umbrella Academy. It's entertaining, but I think I might be tired of superhero TV (strangely, movies I'm fine with).

am not familiar with the source material, which is a nice change for superhero stuff.  had no expectations. don't have reflexive need to compare to the comics.  that being said, we cannot help but wonder if the show is perhaps trying too hard to be faithful to the source material, 'cause after having watched five episodes, am thinking what we has seen so far coulda' been better conveyed in three episodes, or perhaps 2.5.  lack o' a clear defined UBG (ultimate bad guy) is an odd choice for a superhero vehicle, but is not necessarily a flaw.  unfortunately, such absence leaves the show a bit directionless at this point. 

am not doubting we will watch complete, but is becoming more effort than entertainment. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I feel like it was trying to deconstruct the whole "children superheroes" like X-Men's school and Batman's wards and show what happens to kids actually treated like that. I can't say it was entirely succesful, but I enjoyed it. Mostly because of Hazel and Klaus.

I still haven't finished watching the 2nd season. :p

• Like 3

A while back I laid out the theory that we were going to see the KGB get involved as pay-off for the Jon and Nancy storyline in season 2. Looking at some IMDB credits I think we're going to see a Red Dawn-type story thread, with KGB operatives and VDV Spetsnaz dropping in to snatch up everything related to MKUltra, including Eight and Eleven.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling