Political Point and Counterpoint

Amentep

I know about few reasons why to get out of Sweden...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ikea's not that bad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The food and the food?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

...and the rape capitol of Europe :) but mostly food

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Wait, you believe that?

Heja Sverige!!

Wait, you believe that?

yeah, why not? what do you think is european country with most sexual assaults, Belgium?

edit, well now I am thinking about I guess UK trumped you lately with those grooming gangs uncovered

Edited by Chilloutman

Wait, you believe that?

yeah, why not? what do you think is european country with most sexual assaults, Belgium?

Close. IIRC it's Denmark.

You really should only trust statistics that you've doctored yourself.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ballot access and campaign funding. The LP has to fight tooth and nail for ballot access in every state in every election. And they are battling rules the D & R created to ensure no one else gets in their exclusive clubhouse: elected office. That fight costs money. By the time elections roll around whatever money there is to support campaigns is utterly exhausted fighting for ballot access. So campaigns run on donations alone which means you need a face to the party. Which means you need a Presidential ticket because that is the only way the word Libertarian ever gets spoken or printed in the media. So... wasteful as it may be to run a presidential campaign (and God knows it is) it cannot be dispensed with because without it the odds of the down ballot races drop from next to none to totally none. 

When you are looking at your ballot no matter what race it is the LP candidate likely has no shot at winning. No matter how vile the other names are. But I've been repeating this over and over trying to drill this point home: the votes cast for that LP candidate will probably not help get him/her elected. But they WILL make things easier for the ones in the next election. Or the one after that if there is enough of them. The D & R have a stranglehold over the politics of this country and it is leading us all to ruin. The only way to break that is NOT VOTE FOR EITHER OF THEM. Yes that will help the one you were voting against. So what? The red bag is just the same as the blue bag when both bags are full of s--t. And they are.

Get over this notion of wasting your vote. If you live in a state like CA or TN and vote for a Democrat or a Republican you HAVE wasted your vote. Voting for a 3rd party candidate will not help THAT candidate in all likelihood. But it WILL help the next one, maybe even the ones after that. 

odd syllogism. you create a whole line o' reasoning dependent on big money and then suggest best way to get such money is to put forth a national candidate who is doomed to lose... to generate money?

is no different than sandwich shops or auto parts stores.  local guys don't need a national celebrity spokesperson to be successful.  your sandwich guy can't initial afford more than one store much less contemplate national franchise to compete with subway.  sell a product people want.  do better than competitors.  keep costs Down. focus on location... cause we all know as with sales and real estate, three rules is: location, location, location.

bass ackwards.  you are trying to sell national franchise before getting local success. don't need big money local.  don't need a national spokesman.  

and national face is gonna backfire if you don't get right face. gary johnson were not a great spokesman... just as jared fogle mighta' been a poor choice in retrospect.

aside, SCOTUS won't hear bump stock case. ban went into effect a couple days past and multiple attempts to get SCOTUS attention to halt the ban has now failed. am conflicted regarding bump stock ban. on the one hand, am thinking is good bump stocks is illegal.  converse, this ain't the kinda thing we should need rely on executive action to achieve.  the fact Congress wouldn't do anything 'bout bump stocks is an embarrassment. fact Congress does as little as possible is arguable the core problem.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wait, you believe that?

edit, well now I am thinking about I guess UK trumped you lately with those grooming gangs uncovered

I actually investigated the topic before moving to Sweden, out of necessity. If I recall correctly, the reasons Swedish rape statistics are higher in Sweden are mainly two: first, sexual assault within a relationship is filed by the justice system/police as multiple individual instances (back in 2016 I believe this was unique to Sweden), instead of just one that encompasses all the individual events; secondly, and more importantly, rape is massively under-reported all over the world. Generally, more rape reports is a sign of more victims reporting rapes, not of there being necessarily more rapes.

If I had to wager, I'd say Saudi Arabia is the rape capital of the world, although statistics certainly don't show that.

Heja Sverige!!

So apparently they record a sexual assault in the tally when its reported and that doesn't change regardless of what happens later - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden#Swedish_rape_statistics

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...and the rape capitol of Europe :) but mostly food

Sweden is the most feminist country in the world. They have a much looser definition of the word "rape" than most countries, and victims are more likely to report it. The police there also handle rape statistics differently.

Edited by Thingolfin

If I had to wager, I'd say Saudi Arabia is the rape capital of the world, although statistics certainly don't show that.

Either that or Somalia. In any case, it doesn't help that victims reporting a crime are as likely to be punished as the aggressor, and the fact Islamic law doesn't seem to contemplate the concept of rape within wedlock.

It's bad optics that we're propping up the rape capital of the world, that also just happens to be a huge sponsor of terrorism, and is currently engaged in genocide, though. So, something something Sweden.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Wait, you believe that?

I actually investigated the topic before moving to Sweden, out of necessity. If I recall correctly, the reasons Swedish rape statistics are higher in Sweden are mainly two: first, sexual assault within a relationship is filed by the justice system/police as multiple individual instances (back in 2016 I believe this was unique to Sweden), instead of just one that encompasses all the individual events; secondly, and more importantly, rape is massively under-reported all over the world. Generally, more rape reports is a sign of more victims reporting rapes, not of there being necessarily more rapes.

I wrone of Europe, but i guess SA might as well soon be part of EU :)

Ballot access and campaign funding. The LP has to fight tooth and nail for ballot access in every state in every election. And they are battling rules the D & R created to ensure no one else gets in their exclusive clubhouse: elected office. That fight costs money. By the time elections roll around whatever money there is to support campaigns is utterly exhausted fighting for ballot access. So campaigns run on donations alone which means you need a face to the party. Which means you need a Presidential ticket because that is the only way the word Libertarian ever gets spoken or printed in the media. So... wasteful as it may be to run a presidential campaign (and God knows it is) it cannot be dispensed with because without it the odds of the down ballot races drop from next to none to totally none. 

When you are looking at your ballot no matter what race it is the LP candidate likely has no shot at winning. No matter how vile the other names are. But I've been repeating this over and over trying to drill this point home: the votes cast for that LP candidate will probably not help get him/her elected. But they WILL make things easier for the ones in the next election. Or the one after that if there is enough of them. The D & R have a stranglehold over the politics of this country and it is leading us all to ruin. The only way to break that is NOT VOTE FOR EITHER OF THEM. Yes that will help the one you were voting against. So what? The red bag is just the same as the blue bag when both bags are full of s--t. And they are.

Get over this notion of wasting your vote. If you live in a state like CA or TN and vote for a Democrat or a Republican you HAVE wasted your vote. Voting for a 3rd party candidate will not help THAT candidate in all likelihood. But it WILL help the next one, maybe even the ones after that. 

odd syllogism. you create a whole line o' reasoning dependent on big money and then suggest best way to get such money is to put forth a national candidate who is doomed to lose... to generate money?

is no different than sandwich shops or auto parts stores.  local guys don't need a national celebrity spokesperson to be successful.  your sandwich guy can't initial afford more than one store much less contemplate national franchise to compete with subway.  sell a product people want.  do better than competitors.  keep costs Down. focus on location... cause we all know as with sales and real estate, three rules is: location, location, location.

bass ackwards.  you are trying to sell national franchise before getting local success. don't need big money local.  don't need a national spokesman.  

HA! Good Fun!

t comes back to ballot access. To use your sandwich shop example Subway & Panera don't have a legal means to keep Jersey Mike's from opening in their strip mall. Imagine if they did. D & R do not have to fight to get their candidates on the ballot or even have their parties certified as actual political parties in every state in every election. The LP has to fight for what they get for free. It is that way because the D & R made it that way. They figure that is their tree house and they are cutting the rope to keep anyone else from climbing into it. That effort to get on the ballots, hell just to get recognized AS a political party, costs money. The only way to get it for free to get people to vote for you. The only way people can vote for you is to be on the ballot AS a LP candidate. In TN & OH Johnson/Weld were independents not Libertarians because rules in those states for ballot access as anything other than D & R are draconian. So to get the votes you need to advertise but when damn near every nickel is spent just getting on that ballot and there is no matching money from the state or federal governments you have quite a hill to climb. A presidential ticket gets a little bit of free advertising from the media and you just have to hope they don't f--k it up. 

Johnson wasn't the best candidate. I preferred Austin Peterson but since the LP does not officially exist in TN (there is one but they are not allowed to participate in elections. Feel free to eat the s--t in the red or blue bag however) Since there is no LP there was no primary in my state so I didn't get a say in who our candidate was. Nice to live n a free country ain't it?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

HA! Good Fun!

t comes back to ballot access. To use your sandwich shop example Subway & Panera don't have a legal means to keep Jersey Mike's from opening in their strip mall. Imagine if they did. D & R do not have to fight to get their candidates on the ballot or even have their parties certified as actual political parties in every state in every election. The LP has to fight for what they get for free. It is that way because the D & R made it that way. They figure that is their tree house and they are cutting the rope to keep anyone else from climbing into it. That effort to get on the ballots, hell just to get recognized AS a political party, costs money. The only way to get it for free to get people to vote for you. The only way people can vote for you is to be on the ballot AS a LP candidate. In TN & OH Johnson/Weld were independents not Libertarians because rules in those states for ballot access as anything other than D & R are draconian. So to get the votes you need to advertise but when damn near every nickel is spent just getting on that ballot and there is no matching money from the state or federal governments you have quite a hill to climb. A presidential ticket gets a little bit of free advertising from the media and you just have to hope they don't f--k it up. 

Johnson wasn't the best candidate. I preferred Austin Peterson but since the LP does not officially exist in TN (there is one but they are not allowed to participate in elections. Feel free to eat the s--t in the red or blue bag however) Since there is no LP there was no primary in my state so I didn't get a say in who our candidate was. Nice to live n a free country ain't it?

am not certain if you are indulging in hyperbole or are being serious.

if you wanna open a subway in smalltown ca, subway is gonna do all the heavy lifting insofar as zoning and construction and whatnot.  if you open a subway, you are gonna need pay subway in perpetuity for the right to not only use their name, but to benefit from subway's national muscle. heck, chances are subway is your landlord too.

open as a sole proprietor and you gotta get permits and deal state and local authorities and inspectors.  is a whole lotta work and is no safety net. is more difficult.  

get on ca state assembly ballot as 3rd party candidate?  fill out forms and get 1000 relevant signatures by a specific date. 'nuff signatories is gonna result in waiving o' filing fee.  similar in tn, but you need a whopping 25 signatures. 

what you probable is referencing is how many states adopt a top-2 primary system.  you wanna advance to november elections, then you gotta be one o' top-2 vote receivers during primaries.  libertarians were part o' a court action fighting against the alternative blanket primary system which ca voters approved during a 1996 ballot initiative.  blanket were declared unconstitutional (7-2) in 2000 with stevens and ginsburg dissenting. 

regardless, during 2018, six libertarians advanced to november, and no offense, but these guys were hardly fantastic candidates. 

honor mimi robson  and autumn brown were the most successful o' ca's libertarian candidates in 2018.

is not the system.  as we noted, libertarians fought to keep the system.  get a few realistic candidates to run in ripe districts and libertarians could make real gains.  instead, every 4 years money is dumped on a pointless presidential candidate with no chance o victory.

libertarians is doing this all bass akwards.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)