Political Point and Counterpoint

Amentep

The only other thing I know of is a few people going to bat for him. :shrugz:

could be less 'bout folks going to bat for smollett and more 'bout prosecutor's office sending a message to the cops.  have honest followed this very little, but sounds as if police handled the investigation and press conferences n' such w/o consulting prosecutor. letting smollett off the hook, as much as anything, could be the equivalent o' a rolled up newspaper to discipline the puppy who piddled on the carpet... again. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Chicago Police set him up, it'll be revealed in 10 years and the movie will be released 5 years after that."

Explain the two brothers. Eve Smollette, while pleading his innocence, hasn't really explained the brothers' roles in this. Why did they claim he paid them for  the attack? He sayd that is false so why did they lie? And, why were they caught on tape purchasing supplies used in said attack? And, if they did attack him without him paying them what was their motive? He also claims that at least one of the two men who attacked him was white so where are these mystery men/ Also, why and how would random white racist MAGA freaks in Chicago who watch a black focused show since they apparently knew who he was and also knew he would be out in the middle of a cold night looking to buy some sandwhichs? None of this logical.

"could be less 'bout folks going to bat for smollett and more 'bout prosecutor's office sending a message to the cops.  have honest followed this very little, but sounds as if police handled the investigation and press conferences n' such w/o consulting prosecutor. letting smollett off the hook, as much as anything, could be the equivalent o' a rolled up newspaper to discipline the puppy who piddled on the carpet... again. 

HA! Good Fun!"

The prosecutor is a piece of garbage and if that is the excuse they failed at their job. A grand jury said there was enough evidenced - provided by the police and the prosecutor -  to go trial yet the prosecutor claims to not want to do so because 'waste of time'? You now calim it is to 'punish' the police.

I wonder if they had found the 'racist'  scum who committed the attack.. would it be considered a waste of time to prosecute them? Hmmm..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"could be less 'bout folks going to bat for smollett and more 'bout prosecutor's office sending a message to the cops.  have honest followed this very little, but sounds as if police handled the investigation and press conferences n' such w/o consulting prosecutor. letting smollett off the hook, as much as anything, could be the equivalent o' a rolled up newspaper to discipline the puppy who piddled on the carpet... again. 

HA! Good Fun!"

The prosecutor is a piece of garbage and if that is the excuse they failed at their job. A grand jury said there was enough evidenced - provided by the police and the prosecutor -  to go trial yet the prosecutor claims to not want to do so because 'waste of time'? You now calim it is to 'punish' the police.

didn't claim.  "could be," is words used.  and yeah, the police, trying a defendant in the media were gonna make the prosecution's job significant more difficult.  would be serious  and legit arguments that the defense were unduly prejudiced by cops, on tv, proclaiming the d-bagness o' smollett before trial. cops needed to be chastised regardless.  prosecutor used smollett as an object lesson the police will not soon forget?  seems far more likely than smollett having friends grease the wheels o' justice to get a favorable outcome.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It seems to me like they don't want to prosecute a public figure with an otherwise fine public standing with the weight of the book.

They also don't want to overrule the precedent of the book that gives it it's weight, which they wish to reserve for you everyday offenders.

Why would the prosecutor try to teach the Police a lesson? It's not like investigations don't make incremental reports. Claiming that doing so was muddying parts of a trial process is not an excuse for exonerating a person on grounds of a rocky trial process. The act of realizing a trial had been primed by wrong priors is the exact clarity of thinking that would imply it's precisely the time to follow through with a just trial, not shirk.

I think this was absolutely a case of the prosecutor protecting the prosecutors office by maintaining the power of their book.

I also think there is some racially biased grace being given here. An attitude that punishing a symbolic acting out of hate crimes should be given a pass, as so many other hate crimes (some enacted by cops) go unpunished. In a sense the charges seem partially dropped as a form of out-of-channel justice, while maintaining the subjective strength of precedence.

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Dunno about that. He deliberately tried ti inflame racial, political, and social tensions for selfish reasons. 

So your saying he deserves his own talk radio show?

image.jpg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

55551987_1243595032455654_57536059643055

Thomas Sowell

Huh, someone on another forum I'm on noted that one of Smolletts lawyers is apparently Mike Geragos, the co-conspirator in Avenattis sleazy extortion scam stuff. That could possibly have been a factor in the whole charges getting dropped, no idea.

:lol:  It was pretty average before he edited it!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Would be nice if Republicans like him would actually give their own proposals and counteroffers. The fact that the Republicans don't offer their own ideas is the reason why the New Green Deal is a thing. Can't have a true discussion of ideas if the other side doesn't have any ideas of their own and keeps rejecting all of the other sides.

maybe their stance is that its fine like its now so there is no need for change? Just speculating

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

maybe their stance is that its fine like its now so there is no need for change? Just speculating

Their stance is that corporate money fits really snugly in their pocket.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Always thought stupid crap like that belonged with Congressmen and not Senators.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can't have a true discussion of ideas if the other side doesn't have any ideas of their own and keeps rejecting all of the other sides.

Imo, an idea can be stupid all by itself without requiring a counterproposal.

Tackling climate change doesn't fall under that, in any way, whatsoever.

Heja Sverige!!

like on other side of spectrum is it any different :)

Tell me about that immense amount of lobbying money that goes towards pushing climate change action.

Heja Sverige!!

Tell me about that immense amount of lobbying money that goes towards pushing climate change action.

Well i dont know how its in US but in our small country there was hughe lobby for solar plants, we are still paying for them by tax payer money 10 years after. It was awesome business as politicians guaranteed price for buying out that energy. Of course half of those were build from EU funds so it was big win/win for anyone who was involved except people who actually have to pay for it. And don't let me start on how 'ecological' is manufacturing and then 'recycling' of those panels...