Political Point and Counterpoint

Amentep

Injurai that went right over my head then!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Figures a Democrat is named Beta O'Rourke. 2020 elections gonna be fun.

Yup. Add Euro 2020 to that and you'll have yourself one hell of a summer.

Which Europe elections are in summer of 2020? Or are you talking about eurovision?

There is only one Euro 2020 and it is the 2020 UEFA European Football Championship

• Like 1

https://www.courthousenews.com/flipping-off-cops-is-free-speech-sixth-circuit-rules/

“Any reasonable officer would know that a citizen who raises her middle finger engages in speech protected by the First Amendment,” the ruling states.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Elizabeth Warren told CNN she had zero sympathy for the people arrested for the college admission thing. Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't her whole American Indian lie come from her trying to get special consideration for law school? 

Irony is my favorite form of humor. Hypocrisy is a close second!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Elizabeth Warren told CNN she had zero sympathy for the people arrested for the college admission thing. Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't her whole American Indian lie come from her trying to get special consideration for law school? 

no, but is still weird.

warren went to rutgers law school, and there is no evidence she used native american heritage to get into rutgers during 70s.  

again, is weird.  at some point during the 80s, warren started identifying herself as native american on various forms.  bar application for texas. job application for harvard. some kinda cookbook? not kidding.

harvard says warren curious ancestry claims were irrelevant in her hiring process.  same with all other employers.  nevertheless, is odd she would sudden start perpetrating the cherokee bit in the 80s and is reasonable to assume she did so 'cause she thought it would help with employment opportunities particular as 70s and 80s were difficult for women attorneys in this country.  barbara jordan once claimed she had never felt limited by the color o' her skin as she pursued a career in law, but her gender were a constant hurdle. take it for whatever it is worth.

am not making excuses for warren btw.  the situation offends us, if only in a small kinda way. however, is a mischaracterization to say warren used mendacity to gain entrance to schools.  seems she did use such silliness to try and advance her career after school graduations, and the fundamental wrong might not be different, but am figuring is best to get facts correct.  weren't school applications, at least as far as anybody knows.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am gonna admit the warren bit has us conflicted.  affirmative action schemes made our blood boil during 80s and 90s.  never identified self as native American on any form precise 'cause we thought it would be hypocritical to take advantage o' a plan which we found counter-productive.  warren, and folks like warren, no doubt used the native lie to get better job opportunities and o enhance their acceptance chances for scholarships and school admissions... which by necessity meant such folks, and others, believed Gromnir were benefiting from such.  all o' our accomplishments were therefore carrying a unspoken handicap correction.  he got into boalt? well, if he weren't native american, he likely woulda' had to go to same law school as saul goodman. 

b9fdaa8449ac26d31f5a033667972484.jpg

can't describe how much we hated affirmative action... until 'bout last decade.

have done a 180 on affirmative action.  won't go into all the details why as have done so before and is getting further off-topic than we wish.  nevertheless, we ain't never complete shook off our old affirmative action baggage.  on some level we still dislike how the preferences is utilized, so folks getting taken by fakes has us reflexive chuckling.  even so, am realizing folks such as warren makes it more difficult for a successful affirmative action program to ever take root.  hell, we has seen on this board alone, as recent as last few days, people thinks there is nothing particular wrong with lying, cheating and stealing to get ahead. if warren gets a pass, then those clowns who thinks the entire system is rigged-but-ok-as-is, will feel some kinda vindication... 'cause they is nutty.  

whatever.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gotcha. I did remember an application to Harvard was one of the early instances she told that particular whopper. I didn't remember if it was for work or for admission. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

complete aside, we do approve o' the land crabs school motto, even if it does kinda work against the current thread theme.   

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If Hannibal ever actually said that it would have been in Punic. He spoke and wrote latin but hated all things roman so fiercely I expect he would only have used the language grudgingly. 

Thomas Sowell

Alright, so I've been critical of Elizabeth Warren over the ethnicity thing. I still think she is wrong to leverage her claims, but Gromnir's post led me to do a bit more digging, as I had mostly let the news reports crash over me as they were coming out.

This is the best read I was able to track down, and it was certainly eye opening.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/09/01/did-claiming-native-american-heritage-actually-help-elizabeth-warren-get-ahead-but-complicated/wUZZcrKKEOUv5Spnb7IO0K/story.html

I've always thought I was 1/8th Italian, and so I would lecture people on proper pasta preparation and enjoy biscotti. But then my sister did one of those DNA tests and I found out it is more like 1/16th Italian. Now I struggle with pasta, but at least I don't need to eat biscotti anymore.

• Like 5

I've always thought I was 1/8th Italian, and so I would lecture people on proper pasta preparation and enjoy biscotti. But then my sister did one of those DNA tests and I found out it is more like 1/16th Italian. Now I struggle with pasta, but at least I don't need to eat biscotti anymore.

one o' the problems with dna testing o' ethnicity is hurl might take same test as sister and indeed show as 1/8th italian.  you got 50% dna in common with your sister but the genetic recombination which takes place due to egg and sperm carrying only half chromosomes leads to variations.

hurl takes test and finds out his dna is more than 1/8th italian... sudden becomes an inch shorter, more hirsute and feels compulsion to buy a late 80s trans am and a cornicello necklace?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

Don't you guys know those "ancestry DNA" tests are a government plot to get everyone into CODIS? They can't take it from you without a warrant so they trick you into giving it to them as a "genealogy test" and to top it all you're PAYING them to do it to you!!!! Now when the time comes to round up the "deplorables" they know who, where, and what you are! And now they have your DNA. They can frame you for crimes and lock you away and everyone will think it's your own fault! Well... they are not going get ME so easily! They can swab the cheeks of my rapidly cooling corpse!

:lol:

In all seriousness I've never understood the curiosity behind these tests. Heck I don't need to know where my ancestors came from. I am my father's son, my dogs best friend, and the smartest and best looking man currently living between Cold Creek and the Hatchee River! That's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

They probably got my dna when I went to the dentist. Or had surgery.

I know they have my finger prints. At this point resisting these things, if real, is more of a game you place with yourself. If they *actually* need it, there will be a warrant anyways.

While ICE rounds up one group of "deplorables," rapist are being locked away and wrongly imprisoned people are getting a second chance. It's use very abuse. As always things are murky at best.

So Donald Trump is threatening to have Saturday Night Live "investigated"  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6819181/Trump-threatens-Saturday-Night-Live-federal-investigation-Sunday-morning-tweet-storm.html

He really has no clue what he can and can't do does he?

Thomas Sowell

He really has no clue what he can and can't do does he?

can we get an "amen"?

been saying this from the moment trump started sharing his goals for the Presidency.  he can't do most o' what he promises and only a little o' what he demands, and a good thing too.  but instead o' trying to do the impossible, the smarter folks around trump find ways to get pieces and parts o' what he promised... which is just enough to appease the base.

a muslim ban with immigration preferences for christians no less, were clear gonna fail.  unfortunate, the wh lawyers and the courts themselves gave trump a blueprint for how to further limit immigration even if a muslim ban were impossible.  

in spite o' campaign promises, trump can't build a wall w/o Congress, and he is so divisive he fails to get Congressional support when republicans have majorities in both houses. really? so now we is looking at a national emergency which all but guarantees his sea-to-shining-sea wall won't happen anytime soon. 

we suggested the following purchase for trump during elections...

https://www.amazon.com/Schoolhouse-Rock-Special-30th-Anniversary/dp/B00005JKTY

am knowing folks has speculated trump never wanted to be President and that he were as surprised as most folks when he managed to win the election.  dunno.  can't say.  regardless, am convinced trump has never know what it means to actual be President.  seems to act as if President is the majority share holder and ceo o' USA inc. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Not sure I would like a CEO running my country when he has 6 corporate bankruptcies and billions of lost dollars (mostly other peoples dollars) as his CV

Latest ancestry check  did showed that I was of 50% male and 50% female origin. Who would have thought???

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A case could certainly be made for being CEO of a large successfull company (like Howard Schultz for example) vs what Trump did since a large company would still be held accountable to shareholders, etc while Trump was only accountable to himself. Trump is certainly A businessman, but he isn't an example of a great one, no matter how much he brags.

However, given Rex Tillersons performance (though with a silver lining in that he kept things from absolutely imploding) as Secretary of State, it shows that the skills don't neccesarily transfer. If said CEO had stints in other elected office, perhaps.

Edited by smjjames

Don't you guys know those "ancestry DNA" tests are a government plot to get everyone into CODIS? They can't take it from you without a warrant so they trick you into giving it to them as a "genealogy test" and to top it all you're PAYING them to do it to you!!!! Now when the time comes to round up the "deplorables" they know who, where, and what you are! And now they have your DNA. They can frame you for crimes and lock you away and everyone will think it's your own fault! Well... they are not going get ME so easily! They can swab the cheeks of my rapidly cooling corpse!

:lol:

In all seriousness I've never understood the curiosity behind these tests. Heck I don't need to know where my ancestors came from. I am my father's son, my dogs best friend, and the smartest and best looking man currently living between Cold Creek and the Hatchee River! That's good enough for me.

DNA match leads to arrest in 1999 Alabama slaying, rape case.