Would love to see a pinned Turn based builds thread :)

As the topic title states, I would love to see this thread started and have people share their builds they feel is successful and fun for turn based.  

Since turn based has a few different dynamics than the real time builds I feel there'd be some value to having a separate thread for this, just my two cents anyway. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes please. Also wondering if anyone's made a good martial build around reposte, opportunity attacks, cleave, mob stance etc to get more then one attack per round. I tried carnage and even with a mod that increases its size accuracy and damage its crap cause its based off of weapon base damage. 

The Iron Hammer is a riposte build (class+shield+cloak riposte). But I've never tried turn-based.

Doesn't the expanded Graze range in Turn-Based mode make riposte builds rather terrible?

Anyhow, I'd suggest waiting until TB is out of beta before putting significant effort into build write-ups specifically for it. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

I think a TB stickied thread would be nice but I'm sure folks are waiting for it to come out of beta since the information is otherwise going to be frequently made inaccurate.

Plus it takes time for people to actually realize the implications of what's good and bad. I still see people trying to claim Dexterity is bad in TB. Besides the fact that it adds stride (fairly important in a lot of fights), anyone familiar with D&D minmaxing can tell you good Initiative and going first in the turn order is one of the best ways to win combat.

The Iron Hammer is a riposte build (class+shield+cloak riposte). But I've never tried turn-based.

Doesn't the expanded Graze range in Turn-Based mode make riposte builds rather terrible?

Anyhow, I'd suggest waiting until TB is out of beta before putting significant effort into build write-ups specifically for it. 

I'm running an MC Iron Hammer right now in TB (don't have any of the special equipment yet, but high Res Trickster/Unbroken), and I am seeing very few Ripostes (tons of grazes). I imagine it's definitely less effective in TB (though some of that might just be me playing on PotD Upscaled without the right gear yet).

That said, I am seeing some odd combat behavior. There does not seem to be any consistency in what triggers a Riposte attack. I've seen misses trigger and not trigger. I've seen Resists from the medium shield modal trigger and not trigger. I've even seen a graze trigger (most do not).  

Is that normal from RTWP? 

I'm running an MC Iron Hammer right now in TB (don't have any of the special equipment yet, but high Res Trickster/Unbroken), and I am seeing very few Ripostes (tons of grazes). I imagine it's definitely less effective in TB (though some of that might just be me playing on PotD Upscaled without the right gear yet).

That said, I am seeing some odd combat behavior. There does not seem to be any consistency in what triggers a Riposte attack. I've seen misses trigger and not trigger. I've seen Resists from the medium shield modal trigger and not trigger. I've even seen a graze trigger (most do not).  

Is that normal from RTWP? 

Riposte only grants a chance to counterattack-- you won't do it every time. 

• Like 1

Yep - that does account for most of what I'm seeing, then. Have medium shield modal resists also always triggered a Riposte check? The ones I'm seeing are rolls that would have been misses in RTWP. I've also seen some grazes triggering a Riposte, so I think it's the same thing being checked here. If the final number is between 1-25 I believe a Riposte can still happen, even if it's ruled a graze now based on TB change. 

Can anyone else confirm this behavior? (the second image here could have been triggered by the miss, so not terribly conclusive)

TNQgnjd.jpg

ArzVK4i.jpg

I've had good success with a Black Jacket/Priest of Wael build. It's good for a variety of reasons. It has survivability thanks to the Wizard buffs that Wael grants. It has solid damage since the Fighter half provides good melee abilities/accuracy bonuses and you can afford to use a 2 hander or dual wield thanks to the Wael buffs providing more than enough defenses. It has good support abilities since it can heal. It's versatile in terms of what damage it can apply since you can use Priest spells like Shining Beacon/Divine Mark or you can use different melee weapons. Being able to swap weapons as a free action is really nice on turn based since it means you can always have the right tool for whatever enemy you're facing.

It's not the very best at anything it does. But it's an excellent jack of all trades character that can do anything in a group. 

• 1 year later...