What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7

Im trying to create a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. He believe in an energy field that can be manipulated by some people but doesn't believe it controls fate or binds the galaxy together. Anyways, I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn't that important to the profile; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can't have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine

A teleporter

A matter replicator

Synthetic tibanna gas

Synthetic coaxium (hyperfuel)

A singularity Weapon

Any type of droid

Anything to do with holograms

A food synthesizer

Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

A shrink ray

A freeze ray

Pico and femtotechnology

A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

I'm trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren't until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I'm looking for something that presumably hasn't been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.

• Like 3

Riddle me this; if a force user were to provide a blood transfusion for a non-force user, would the mitoclorians 

And right there is why the prequels ruined Star Wars. 

Well... bad acting, writing, a specious concept, and a complete rethinking of the backstory really didn't help either.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Riddle me this; if a force user were to provide a blood transfusion for a non-force user, would the mitoclorians transfer?

No. Or at least presumably no based on their analogue.

(Red Blood Cells don't have mitochondria as they lose them along with the cell nucleus at hmm, erythrogenesis (iirc), so they- presumably- don't have midichlorians in SW either. You would get some mitochondria from WBCs but there are far fewer of them than RBCs in a blood transfusion)

• Like 1

To the OP: Marksmanship training program

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A (non-animal tested) wookie shampoo.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Slim fast Jabba edition

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I imagine there will still be a booming research industry for erectile dysfunction.

Aren't you a little short for a... erh, never mind.

Maybe a durable, dirt resistant fabric that is marketable to settlers on remote colonies without laundry facilities.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Does anybody read Darths & Droids? Midichlorian transfusions are a major and hilarious plotpoint in that.

Uh, please don't tell me that's still going? I was a (bigger) fan of the DM of the Rings series that it apes, but I followed D&D for probably a year or so when it first started before I realized that I simply like reading and watching stuff in a big chunk rather than piecemeal weekly and decided I'd wait a few years before coming back...and I never did. It's been many years now.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

science, even in a galaxy far, far away, will never explain the greatest mysteries o' the universe. what happens inside a black hole? concepts such as love, justice and God will necessarily forever elude the grasp o' science.  and why did the tor developers have to go and ruin revan?  some questions is too terrible for science to contemplate. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Does anybody read Darths & Droids? Midichlorian transfusions are a major and hilarious plotpoint in that.

Uh, please don't tell me that's still going? I was a (bigger) fan of the DM of the Rings series that it apes, but I followed D&D for probably a year or so when it first started before I realized that I simply like reading and watching stuff in a big chunk rather than piecemeal weekly and decided I'd wait a few years before coming back...and I never did. It's been many years now.

It's still going.  :yes:  Although they're bidding their time right now until the current trilogy is complete and post fluff once a week. 

As for fanfictional scientist, he might look into the curious phenomena of nothing f†cking changing throughout ages upon ages in that universe, ever. Seriously, everything -- guns, aircraft, fashion, British accents on Imperials -- is the same for Old and New Republic. And Empire. 

• Like 1

Well, they have finished both the prequels and the OT at this point. Essentially until the next flick it's in maintanance mode, and Return of the Jedi felt like an ending.

• Like 1

Okay so my archeology idea didn’t work. My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool.

He was probably studying the deterioration of hyperlanes when exposed to prolonged solar flares and electromagnetic radiation when close to massive astronomical objects.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I decided to make my story about a quark star; a hypothetical star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shield. Sure. Never seen it appear but it could easily be done. See what I’m driving at? I’m looking for something he can work on that would be still an emerging field of study. Any ideas on what someone in a Type II/Type III civilization could be looking to do?