Would still buy if Epic Games Store Exclusive

As title suggests,

I will still buy if it becomes an Epic Game Store exclusive on pc - granted that I don't buy the console collector's edition instead. Ahhh, who are we kidding, we know there will be some cool physical edition with some goodies on PS4/XB1X. We don't have to wait for that to be confirmed :)

But...

Am wondering in sheer curiousity...

How many PC players here would buy or not buy it if it were an Epic exclusive. Would it change your mind at all? Or would you just be happy to get it on PC period?

Is the loyalty of the community enough to press through an exclusivity deal should so the ocassion arise?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Nope. I will not support such anti consumer practices.

The game should be available on Gog, Steam, even Epic if they want. But i will not buy on the Epic store.

Since I've got a vastly superior PC to any console I'm not interested in buying a sub par version of the game either.

Edited by Eelectrica
  • Like 6

Since I've got a vastly superior PC to any console I'm not interested in buying a sub par version of the game either.

I wouldn't say PC version will be "superior" to console version, or at least not that much to coubt as a major advantage anymore - since XB1 is here anyway.

I, too, sport a decent pc (my gpu is a 1080ti 11gb) but if the console version has a collector's edition with some physical goodies, that's a version I will prioritize since publishers make effort to make a consumer version superior and I'd just wait for the pc version to drop in price later. I don't always do this though.

Why would it be? Has this been suggested somewhere?

Also, I have no idea what Epic games store is.

It hasn't, that's why I say I was just wondering.

Epic Games Store is the newest controversial games launcher on pc. It's been trying to steal games from Steam/GoG with a 1 year exclusive contract causing uproar in the pc community.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I wouldn't say PC version will be "superior" to console version

You should, it will. All games are better on a machine that isn't pre-broken, which also has superior input devices.

'Epic store' is an irrelevance.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

You should, it will. All games are better on a machine that isn't pre-broken, which also has superior input devices.

'Epic store' is an irrelevance.

I'd probably agree of it wasn't for crap ports with bad programming that perform better on consoles.

Steam sales make up for this, I supoose.

• Like 1

more appropriate question would be: would you buy OT if it was on Microsoft store?

... No

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

If it's not initially on Steam I'll either buy the console version (not my preference in this case tho) or I will wait until it is. Or both (console while waiting for Steam access), because I'm impatient.

No I have nothing personal/angry against Epic/MS store. Just don't feel like it. Maybe when there's actually 20, 30+ games I want from other clients I'll use other clients. Maybe. But not until then.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yep I would.  Not like i intend to buy it at less than 66% discount :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 4 weeks later...

I would not buy it if it was an epic exclusive. I don't support the fractured launcher ecosystem we have now (origin, uplay, epic etc etc). If it luanches exclulsively, i don't buy. However, I'm under the impression that one can also buy it from the windows store, which would be fine.

How many PC players here would buy or not buy it if it were an Epic exclusive. Would it change your mind at all? Or would you just be happy to get it on PC period?

If it was exlusive, period? That would annoy me much more. I would probably buy it anyway. Via humble store. 

I am already using Epic, and I don't hate it.

5KMDfBN.jpg

It just doesnt' have anything of value to offer except for stolen games. It is a barebone platform which so far buys its revelance by paying off devs and publishers. Not very exciting. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

I did plan to buy a physical PC copy of of the game on day 1, along with the season pass. Hell, I might have even bought the collector's edition, given how much I enjoyed New Vegas (500+ hours played).

Now however I doubt I will purchase the game at all. The utter contempt shown by Private Division (I am hoping that Obsidian wasn't involved at all in the decision) makes me wonder why I should give them any money. Unfortunately it's too late for me to refund the KSP DLC I purchased a few days ago.

I'll buy it on the Epic store, no problem. Epic gave me a number of games, and will likely be doing so for some time to come. The split for UE4 games is a lot better for Obsidian and the more money Obsidian makes from this the better potential for a sequel. Obsidian bringing in 23% more on every sale is huge for a company like Obsidian that has previously operated with thin margins. The Outer Worlds may have a potential user base higher than something like Pillars/Deadfire but even so the more of my money that Obsidian gets the better. I'd prefer it if I had it in my Steam library but I won't wait a year for that.

At the end of the day, I'm an Obsidian fan, not a store fan (just someone with a huge Steam library) and I'll follow Obsidian's decisions as long as they don't e.g. become a M$ store exclusive which would be off-putting.

I love Obsidian's work and the more money they get from each sale, the fewer sales they need to secure a sequel. Ipso facto: I'm pro-anything-that-gets-a-sequel to The Outer Worlds as that universe is something I'm really interested. Plus their DLCs may be able to have more resources spent on them, and have an easier time recouping the outlay and -at least- breaking even. I hope the DLC is amazing and sells like hotcakes, but Obsidian's luck with e.g. the White March, well that didn't recoup the costs from what I understand so I'm fine with anything that benefits Obsidian (even if it's benefiting Microsoft, Obsidian's income from sales being higher makes them look better for M$ as a new acquisition.

Not sure if this needs a second thread, but anyways...

Assuming I'm going to buy Outer Worlds (I haven't actually decided one way or another), I would buy it at Epic. I can understand people's hatred of micro-transactions, but I can't understand this hatred of exclusivity deals. I mean, Store A has a product you want. Store B doesn't have this product. Now you just have to walk a block further to get to Store B. This is pretty much how **** worked before we started downloading all our games.

No. I'm not going to support exclusivity on the PC as I don't want to be party to whatever the normalization of exclusivity on PC brings.

This is why the 4 hour DLC has superseded the 30 hour expansion pack. People let publishers normalize DLC more than a decade ago.

Edited by FecklessFool
  • Like 1

Nope. Won't be buying on either Epic or the thing Microsoft call a store. Not supporting this god aweful exclusivity practice.

When it comes to Steam or Gog, then I'll take a look... when it's on sale I mean. Obviously I'm not paying full price for a year old game. That seems kind of a silly thing to do.

• Like 1

Games used to be exclusive to different consoles since the dawn of time. 

Why is this such a big problem? Download another thing which will take 2 minutes.You don't have to pay anything extra.

It's funny how people will get all up in arms about something so minor but don't care at all about any serious problems happening around the earth. Probably because you can just sit at your computer and not actually have to do anything. You know... this is EXACTLY how Nazi Germany started, a bunch of layabouts with nothing better to do!

nowt

Games used to be exclusive to different consoles since the dawn of time.

"This useless garbage problem has been a common issue over here in this other market since forever. Why do people have a problem with them bringing it to this other market?"

• Like 1

As long as Tencent is involved with Epic, never. People who are ignorant on the subject of Tencent need to do more research on the matter.

A large company that buys other companies?

Have they done anything particularly devious?

nowt

I will not buy any game from the Epic Store at this current time.

Part of it is because of the uncertain status of their store in terms of privacy and security, but it's not just that.

The Epic Game Store is anti-consumer. Something I hope that those who say they'll just buy it anyway think about that a bit before they do. The store came into being suddenly and is only relevant because they're throwing their dump trucks of Fortnight money around to buy up exclusives and pay publishers to give away games in a bid to brute force their way into the market, rather than doing the work like Steam did.

I'm very open to the idea of competition for Steam. I'm very open to developers getting more money(but we all know the profits largely go to publishers, not developers). But Epic is doing it wrong and win or lose, I will not give my money to an enterprise that is bad for me as a consumer.

One good thing about the state of gaming is that I've grown used to allowing games to pass me by and pick them up later. And there are plenty of other games I have and will have to occupy me that, while I am disappointed by The Outer Worlds going exclusive, that disappointment will pass and I will move on without missing a step.

I'm sad to deny the game what would have been, likely, a day one purchase. But in the long run this is the best choice. Sadly, it likely won't matter because gamers don't look past the latest, greatest thing. That's why gaming is in the state it is. From DLC to day one DLC to microtransactions, to loot boxes to the new epidemic of half done, mediocre live services and launcher exclusives.

Make no mistake. Publishers will continue to push and squeeze money from you all until you decide to stop letting them.

• Like 2