There was a thread on mechanics where someone looked at the gamedata bundle and determined that the max Perception needed was 19. This was pre-Forgotten Sanctum release, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

The base game also had at least one hidden object requiring Perception 20. My personal experience going through FS on PotD had a trapfinder with 21 PER, so with some allowance for imperfect memory, I'll say it's not higher than that.

A quick and dirty list to boost PER (spoilered for mild game spoilers):

- Cauldron Brew: Found on a far northwest "unexplored" island. Follow the instructions on the Witch's deciphered notes and use those ingredients on the Cauldron.
- Food: Candied Nuts, Murkberries, Vegetables, Seafood Stew, and Murkbrew all raise by +1 or +2.
- Headgear: Horns of the Bleak Mother (Queen's Berth), Blackblade's Hood (deal with Crookspur as Aeldys asks), Blackened Plate Helm (Shattered Reef), Cowl of Piercing Gaze (Oathbinder Sanctum), Serpent Crown (Looted from Onekaza), Maw of Ingimyrk (SSS early fight reward, +2!)
- Neck: Just the Protective Eothasian Charm. Found on Gorecci Street.
- Shoulders: Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak (Fire Dragon Lair)
- Ring: Kuaru's Prize (Ori O Koiki)
- Way too many pets to list

Anyways, if your base PER for your trapfinder is 16, headgear and some +2 food should mean you're covered.

Edited by Taudis

Just how much Perception do I need to detect those traps? 16 isn't enough, and 17 doesn't seem to work either, after I put on an item with a +1. Traps are an incredibly annoying element at the best of times and this makes them even worse.

i needed a character with 18 perception to start detecting FS traps. I literally had 17, and then the moment I put on a piece of gear to get me +1 I started detecting them. So it sounds like you're just one shy.

(I had Mirke, with +3 from constantly taking Svef, and then a piece of gear with +1 perception.)

edit - FS is a bit worse about this, but traps generally have a visual clue that there's a trap (like a nozzle in the ground, or a cord that's visibly going somewhere) so even if you can't detect htem you can manually navigate aroundt hem. 

Edited by thelee

I just want to say that traps are my least favourite thing about this game. I get the same punishment for clicking too fast/failing to pass a super high attribute check while walking around as I get for hitting 0 HP in battle? It feels awful to get thru a 30 minute challenging fight with no injuries just to walk around a corner too fast and get the same result. I don't know what the solution would be (does anyone build around using traps?) but I don't find it does anything but detract from the experience.

That's my whining in an inappropriate sub-forum for the day.

Edited by Jayd

I just want to say that traps are my least favourite thing about this game. I get the same punishment for clicking too fast/failing to pass a super high attribute check while walking around as I get for hitting 0 HP in battle? It feels awful to get thru a 30 minute challenging fight with no injuries just to walk around a corner too fast and get the same result. I don't know what the solution would be (does anyone build around using traps?) but I don't find it does anything but detract from the experience.

My favorite is when you try to disarm a trap and instead your character just walks right into it. The Bridge Ablaze is a particular culprit. 

I guess that I'm just the oddball here.  I love traps.  I love having to creep through dungeons, watching  for traps.  I will say though that there are times when you're in a location and the presence of traps seems wrong for the location.

Thankfully, my Watcher is a Swashbuckler with a VERY high perception (and Mechanics skill) and hasn't yet failed to find and deal with a trap or a lock.

Traps are the absolute worst, I agree. Deadfire makes them worse than in Pillars, because in Pillars you could at least just eat some damage and keep on going. Injuries are potentially worse.

And the solution to traps is to chuck them into the scrap heap along with Thac0, daily spells and random hit points on level-up.

• Like 1

Maybe the highest level traps give you injuries but certainly not as a default.

traps would be completely forgettable otherwise in a game where you regenerate to full after every encounter.

this was an issue that came up with PoE1 - environmental traps did like an order of magnitude more damage to the player than traps the player themselves set. And the answer was essentially what relevance does a 20 damage trap have to a 100 endurance/400 health character if they just immediately regenerate the endurance and have such a huge health pool? 200 damage, however, that might be a knockout and a significant dent out of your total health and has real consequences.

to me it just sounds like some people don't really want to have to worry about traps -- maybe at most just as a surprise but nothing that's a big deal, or just not traps altogether. sure: those are opinions, valid like any other, but my opinion of the few things that I find core to the D&D-like experience, it's traps. (edit: that is not to say that I find PoE1/Deadfire perfect. I would like more puzzle traps like in the PoE1 intro area or in that island encounter with Deadfire with the floor tiles and the slowly-filling room. They are more satisfying and sensical than out-of-nowhere-there's-a-hallway-full-of-traps traps.)

Edited by thelee

You make a good pt. However you can just rest right after so they aren't that significant. I guess I'd prefer Mechanics to dictate trap detection not Per (as it's already the King stat) and I'm fine with the current system. It's not really that big of deal tbh I do agree that traps are important to the dungeon experience.

Edited by Verde

However you can just rest right after so they aren't that significant.

time to turn on one of Eothas, Rymrgand, or Woedica challenges then :)

edit: yeah, separating out trap detection to perception is one of the weirder decisions that they made that I don't fully get. It's the only stat that has an "environmental" effect... Mod idea - make sleight of hand also the trap detection skill somehow and rename it something like "thuggery" or something. would actually make it really useful.

Edited by thelee

However you can just rest right after so they aren't that significant.

time to turn on one of Eothas, Rymrgand, or Woedica challenges then :)

edit: yeah, separating out trap detection to perception is one of the weirder decisions that they made that I don't fully get. It's the only stat that has an "environmental" effect... Mod idea - make sleight of hand also the trap detection skill somehow and rename it something like "thuggery" or something. would actually make it really useful.

Sure...I'll turn on those challenges so traps are more significant *eye roll* lol

I've been playing on Ryms challenge. It's one of the better ones. I may do Eothos, but prob not bc I like exploring. For Woedica, I will never ever go back to per rest! Never!!!

• Like 1