Anthem

ktchong

BioWare is squatting in the precious top spot for WRPG developers, which BioWare no longer deserves.  It needs to vacate that spot so that other better more deserving studio can take over.

I don't understand how a developer can "squat in a spot".

• Like 4

Look at it this way. In 2007 EA acquired Bioware and it's all gone downhill from there. They delivered some of the most memorable games, but I feel that EA has a really bad influence on it's subsidiaries. I don't feel at all happy with the way they were going and I don't feel at all happy that they aren't capable, or more likely, "allowed" to bring us the games WE want. And that's single player engaging story driven WRPGs. If ever this happens to Obsidian then they are in the same boat. Will you be hating on the people that had no choice as well?

I don't understand how people can hate on a company this much though. You speak like they personally failed you. It's actually kind of sad.

• Like 2

kthcong is she?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I get the feeling ktchong is the kind of person that laughs at traffic accidents, house fires, hurricanes, etc. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Look at it this way. In 2007 EA acquired Bioware and it's all gone downhill from there.

Don't know if I can agree.

Most older gamers (who were around for it all) consider Mass Effect 1-3 the best that Bioware's ever put out.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Look at it this way. In 2007 EA acquired Bioware and it's all gone downhill from there.

Most older gamers (who were around for it all) consider Mass Effect 1-3 the best that Bioware's ever put out.

for Christ sake stop speaking for other people, its so annoying i want to punch you in the face

• Like 7

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

for Christ sake stop speaking for other people, its so annoying i want to punch you in the face

LOL! Oh my.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Citation needed.

• Like 7

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wonder what ever happened to alanschu?

I can try to check.

Edit: for what it's worth, social media tells me he is still there.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

lolno

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Mass Effect was released in 2007, it was already in production when they were acquired. They were allowed to finish the rest, but only if they catered to more mainstream. and this is very very apparant in the upcoming sequels. Granted I do think that ME2 was very good and I bought ME1 on a whim and I really liked it.

I do like the fact that they enhanced the gameplay moving forward, but the entire roleplaying aspect has been dumbed down. They weren't even able to give ME3 a proper ending. And let's not talk about the mess afterwards.

I don't know what you consider older gamers though. I mean 2007 is only a few years ago. I bought Baldur's Gate on release day in 1998 and I was already 20 at the time so by no means "very young".

Edited by AeonsLegend

I consider Bioware's best to be Kotor 1.

I have only played a few minutes of Mass Erect 2, granted that it's the only one in the series I own.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

I wonder what ever happened to alanschu?

I still have him on my steam friend list, so I know he's online, alive and kicking every now and then.

and for the record, Baldurs Gate 1+2 were Biowares best ever games!

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The word "Games as Service" needs to be added in the dictionary meaning "Substandard games by greedy corporate publishers". Ever since I heard this name majority of the games released as game as service is a let down. Whatever people are thinking about Bioware is also going to happen with Obsidian and to support my claim I'll give a small example which might help you a lot.

Two gaming studios JAM software and Rare established in mid 1980s. In early 2000s Microsoft bought Rare and Sony acquire JAM aka Naughty Dog. Under Microsoft Rare produce low quality games and under Sony Naughty Dog become one of the best game developing studio, because people at Sony give a flying F to game as a service while Phil thinks its the future.

• Like 4

BG2 and ME2

I still think ME2 was a step forward and two steps back from ME1. About all it did better was increased content, characters, and set pieces. The entire role-playing side of it collapsed and the dialogue and choice continued to crumble into itself. Honestly it was probably the beginning of the end.

• Like 4

The thing is that I agree with most of the criticisms of the game but in the end, it just worked for me. I don't have a good explanation but man I loved that game and put hundreds of hours into it. I was even considering playing it again before my computer glimpsed a great old one and went mad and died

• Like 5

Free games updated 3/4/21

It wasn't bad, strong opening, had some sold companion quests. The best part was just it's atmosphere and it enabling you to experience what an intergalactic community might feel like. But honestly I felt it unraveled as the game went on. The motivations of the characters felt very estranged every time I completed a companion quest, and the worst was the whole thing fell on it's face in the ending. In hind sight most of the excitement was the anticipation of the build up.

Still a solid game better than most, probably the last BioWare game I would say I like. But it's also very obvious they were giving up the best aspects of the series to sell a third person shooter with class progressions. But even the all that combat changes amounted to very little new. Most of the tactical charm went out the window, now it was just pick your flavor to chip away at the enemy within an arena of knee high barriers. I even played on hard and the gameplay felt like an insult.

I didn't even bother with ME3 for example, between the half-bad taste of 2 and the awful day 1 appearance of ME3 I just couldn't bother. At that point I had no interest in the story and the gameplay had long jumped the shark.

• Like 1

I still think ME2 was a step forward and two steps back from ME1. About all it did better was increased content, characters, and set pieces. The entire role-playing side of it collapsed and the dialogue and choice continued to crumble into itself. Honestly it was probably the beginning of the end.

I feel this applies to both ME2 and DA2. I.e. a step forward and two step backwards from the original games. DA2 offered better characters, but completely gimped game mechanics, narrow corridors instead of semi-open areas and don't get me started on the rather obvious and heavy handed asset recycling. I still love Varric and Isabella though.
  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I didn't even bother with DA2, it looked that attrocious to me. For that era ME1 and DA:O where my two favorite games. I still played ME2 and it was at least worth the play. Inquisition looked a bit better, but I think with The Witcher being on the market, it was hard to want to go back to a game that was basically offline WoW.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 2