Battlemage (Devoted/Enchanter) on Normal difficulty

Just brainstorming here.

I was thinking of going One handed style (Swords) to stack accuracy and hit/crit chance on top of numerous armor and stat buffs. In doing so I know I'll be nerfing my deflection quite a bit but I'm wondering if stacking AR high enough if that will counterbalance that at all. I'm not worried about evocation spells and I know illusion spells have plenty of deflection bonuses, but I think it could work.

I like the idea of all the almost instant buffs from enchanting spells. I could use expose vulnerability to lower my enemies AR as well. That on top of the extra penetration from Devoted and the sword modal, hitting enemies shouldn't be too hard. I'm just concerned that I'll be mince meat without high enough deflection.

Any thoughts? Again, this will be on Normal difficulty so I imagine I can pull this off. Mostly a role-playingtype build, nothing too extreme.

If you use swords I'd go w Modwyr for the Int affliction immunity plus stacking action speed.

You could also go with a scepter/wand and utilize it's bonuses (Whale of a Wand, Eye of Wael, etc). If you're set on illusions try Eye of Wael and White Witch Mask.

Edited by Verde

Just brainstorming here.

I was thinking of going One handed style (Swords) to stack accuracy and hit/crit chance on top of numerous armor and stat buffs. In doing so I know I'll be nerfing my deflection quite a bit but I'm wondering if stacking AR high enough if that will counterbalance that at all. I'm not worried about evocation spells and I know illusion spells have plenty of deflection bonuses, but I think it could work.

I like the idea of all the almost instant buffs from enchanting spells. I could use expose vulnerability to lower my enemies AR as well. That on top of the extra penetration from Devoted and the sword modal, hitting enemies shouldn't be too hard. I'm just concerned that I'll be mince meat without high enough deflection.

Any thoughts? Again, this will be on Normal difficulty so I imagine I can pull this off. Mostly a role-playingtype build, nothing too extreme.

i'm not sure there's a whole lot of AR you could stack with a devoted/enchanter without seriously compromising your recovery time by wearing heavy armor. spirit shield.... and ironskin? and the latter suppresses the former. on normal it might be fine, though.

if you're set on not using illusion magic, maybe pick up arcane veil (conjuration)? +50 deflection can reallly stretch out how long your ironskin lasts since fewer enemies will be hitting you.

i might also pick a paladin instead of a fighter. paladins get extra deflection, but also get stoic steel. it comes real late (AL7) but is a steadily growing AR bonus that stacks. if you pick a goldpact knight you can even get gilded enmity which is like a mini-ironskin, except because it only costs 1 zeal you can really spam it over the course of a fight.

Edited by thelee

Just to update, my character without the help of Illusion buffed deflection was indeed mince meat. I rerolled to Devoted (Swords)/Wizard no subclass. I can still buff the way I wanted. Plus, with one handed spec I get to fight with my grimoure in my offhand! Purely aesthetic but I like it.

Most posts I've read say to dump the wizard subclass anyways, unless going for evoker. I'm aiming to be more of a spell buffed fighter than a nuker. I'll see how it works out as I'm still very low level.