Intro: I think it would be really cool if Obsidian added a 12th class to Deadfire and I think that class should be the Shaman. I know shaman right now is a multiclass between a Barbarian and Priest, but I think that should be changed to something else and Shaman should be its own single class.

Why Shaman? I think shaman could be a really fun, unique class if it was added as a stand-alone class. Totems are cool and add a completely different play style. I gathered my thought and made up what I think would be a cool approach to making Shaman an official class.

Below are class descriptions, abilities, and subclasses that I made up for this class. Obviously, there is no way for me to test any of this and maybe this class would be super overpowered the way I have thought of it. I also just described the abilities and didn't mention anything about what defenses they go against or anything that specific. This is just something I made up and would love to see added to the game with real values!

I am very open to suggestions and ideas and even though this will probably never be added to the game, it is fun to think and dream about!

Thanks for reading!

Class: Shaman

Roles: Striker, Support, Crowd Control

Power Source: Ancestors (Shaman would use Ancestral spirits as a resource like paladins use Zeal instead of having spell slots like a wizard.)

Subclasses: (names pending)

• Double number of allowable active totems. 25% chance to regain resources when totem unsummoned/destroyed. Totems are weaker and have a lower duration
  • Totems no longer consume resources and are have a 0.5 sec cast time. Can only cast each totem once per combat. Total resources cut in half.
  • Gain ability “Extract Spirit” – consume the spirits of fallen kith, wilder, and beasts to regain resources. Can also target low level/near death spirits. Successful use also grants Strong and Smart for 5 sec. Can no longer use empower. -10 all defenses
  • All totems are more powerful, have longer duration, higher defenses, and more health. Having a totem active gives +1 all PL. Can only have 1 totem active at a time. Totems destroyed by enemies inflict damage to the shaman. Not having a totem active gives shaken.

Abilities by Power Level

PL

Active Abilities

Passive Abilities

• Shaman use spirits to summon Totems in combat.
  • Shaman use spirits to infuse their weapons with special abilities
  • Can only have 1 Totem active at a time.
  • Totems Count as summoned creature
  • Totems are immune to Intellect Afflictions but have low reflex

• Purge Totem – Removes 1 negative affect from nearby allies every 5 sec
  • Fire Totem – Shots small fire balls at enemy targets
  • Taunt Totem – Forces nearest 2 enemies to attack. Enemies are distracted
  • Earth Weapon – Full attack, Deals additional Crush Damage
  • Poison Weapon - Primary attack, Applies poison Hex that sickens the target
  • Arms Bearer
  • Monastic Unarmed Training
  • Will of the Spirits - +5 Will, +5 defense against spirits

• Water Totem – Regen health in area
  • Earth Totem – Damage enemies in area, enemies are hobbled and shaken
  • Totem of Atrophy - Applies Curse of Atrophy in AOE
  • Shaman Modal – Earth (-5% damage taken), Water (Gain Concentration every 5 sec), Air (charges up, pushes back enemies tat attack in melee), Lightning (+5% Crit Chance), Shadow (increase duration of will targeting attacks)
  • Lightning Weapon – Primary Attack, deals additional lightning damage in small AOE around target
  • Shadow Weapon - Full attack, applies a Hex that lowers accuracy of target
  • Weapon and Shield Style
  • Two Weapon Style
  • One-Handed Style
  • Two Handed Style

• Pull Totem – Pulls farthest enemy in range to totem
  • Stone Totem – Throws rocks for crush damage at enemies
  • Totem of Nightmares - Applies Curse of Nightmares in AOE
  • Taunt Totem 2A – Increases health, defenses, duration
  • Taunt Totem 2B – when destroyed or unsummoned, deals fire damage and staggers and sickens enemies
  • Earth Weapon 2 – Successful hits also bleed the target over time
  • Poison Weapon 2 - adds poison damage to weapons attacks while hex persist
  • Can have 2 active Totems
  • Bear’s Fortitude
  • Snake’s Reflexes
  • Bull’s Will

• Water Totem 2 – Activate again for instant heal. Destroyed when activated. Heal amount determined by time remaining
  • Spirit Totem – Frighten nearby enemies
  • Shadow Totem - Applies Curse of Darkness in AOE
  • Modal 2 – Earth (increase AR by 2), Water (Gain Acute at the beginning of combat), Air (recharges faster), Lightning (crits have 50% to set off lesser chain lightning), Shadow (Will targeting attacks also lower will by 5)
  • Water Weapon – Full Attack, target ally instead of enemy, heals instead of dealing damage
  • Lightning Weapon 2 – Full Attack, increased AOE damage
  • Weapon of Rot - Primary Attack, Applies hex deals poison damage over time
  • +1 Penetration with Fire Attacks
  • +1 Penetration with Earth Attacks
  • +1 Penetration with Electricity Attacks
  • Spell Shaping
  • Tumbling

• Pull Totem 2 – Immobilize Pulled targets
  • Stone Totem 2A – Has a chance to knock down
  • Stone Totem 2B – Stone explodes and deals pierce damage in AOE
  • Defense Totem - +5 all defenses, stacks with other defensive abilities
  • Totem of Obedience - Dominates targets in small AOE
  • Lava Weapon – Primary Attack, increase the time of beneficial effects on allies in a small AOE around the enemy hit
  • Plague Weapon - Primary Attack, Applies a hex that adds damage each time the target is hit in melee
  • Shadow Weapon 2 - The hex also deals damage each time the target misses an attack
  • Tough
  • Uncanny Luck
  • Practiced Healer
  • Far Casting (Totems Only)
  • Strong Totems – Increase Totem defenses and AR

• Air Totem – Blinds in AOE
  • Lightning Totem – Deals damage in AOE
  • Spirt Weapon – Primary attack, terrify enemy
  • Water Weapon 2 – if ally is below 50% health, leaves a small heal over time
  • Weapon of Rot 2 - Target explodes if killed while the Hex persists
  • Spell Resistance
  • Improved Crit
  • Quick Summoning (Totems Only)
  • Increase number of resources by 1. +1 Spirit

• Speed Totem – Increase stride and lower recovery speed. Doesn’t stack
  • Rez Totem – Revives ally
  • Air Weapon – Recover Instantly on next weapon Crit
  • Lava Weapon 2 – Crits cause the attack to be more benefical
  • Plague Weapon 2 - the Hex spreads if the target is killed while still affected by the hex
  • Killing blows have a 25% chance to recover 1 resource
  • Lasting Empower
  • Accurate Empower
  • Penetrating Empower
  • Potent Empower

• Water Totem 3 – Using the active ability with 10+ seconds remaining restores the resource cost
  • Lightning Totem 2A – chance to stun
  • Lightning Totem 2B – increase AOE
  • Spirit Weapon 2 – Hit enemies behind the initial target in a cone area
  • Totem of Serpents Gaze - Petrifies targets in a cone in the direction the totem faces
  • Great Soul
  • Totems have increased Duration

• Ancestral Totem – lashes out at enemies at range dealing Fire, Earth (crush), lightning damage
  • Rez Totem 2A – Revives in area and gives robust and resolute
  • Rez Totem 2B – Revives 1 ally with more health and brilliant
  • Air Weapon 2 – Recover Instantly on next 3 weapon crits
  • Prestige
  • Totem Master – Can have 3 active totems

EDIT - Added some totems and weapon attacks to go along with the theme of curses and hexes and made some minor wording changes

Edited by ShadowandFlame

I've never modded before but I might look into and try. I can't imagine it being easy or quick  :sweat:

Ye i agree not saying it would be easy but may be doable. and you would have to reuse assets in the game so you would have any special totem assets for that stuff. 

Edited by draego

Personally, I think shaman are similar to druids like paladins are similar to priests. Priests and paladins are both holy fighters that use a lot of fire and healing. One is just tankier than the other and is a spell caster rather than a melee fighter. 

I think there is enough of a difference or at least enough abilities to warrant another class. 

Druid is just a shaman variant. Or vice versa.

Rather Chanter is. Shamans talk with spirits.

I like to think of the Druid classes, as interpreted by various RPGs, to be shamans of nature spirits, or the elements. It's a nuance difference, I know.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

To me, shamans are just priests or druids who happen to live in a very rural culture.  Like the Glanfathens in POE1.  Their priests or druids could have been called "shamans".  I guess that I just don't see anything unique about shamans.  I just see them as a more barbaric or less civilized (or whatever other term floats your boat) form of priest or perhaps druid. 

Heck, I suppose that one could even call druids "shamans".  Ya know, come to think of it, they could have just called the Druid class "Shamans" right from the start.

To me, shamans are just priests or druids who happen to live in a very rural culture.  Like the Glanfathens in POE1.  Their priests or druids could have been called "shamans".  I guess that I just don't see anything unique about shamans.  I just see them as a more barbaric or less civilized (or whatever other term floats your boat) form of priest or perhaps druid. 

Heck, I suppose that one could even call druids "shamans".  Ya know, come to think of it, they could have just called the Druid class "Shamans" right from the start.

I completely agree! I guess you don't need to call this class a "shaman". I just mostly want totems to be added to the game and thought making a shaman class would be the best way to do it. 

I know the fury shaper has the wards that are like totems but there are only 3 or 2 if you multiclass. Not really changing things up that much. 

The idea is with the shaman class that the majority of the spells are totems. Totems are a different type of summon and the intention is to create new strategies around these new summons that can buff the party, or deal damage, or do whatever really

I would have really like a hexer / vodoo class in Deadfire.  It would have fit the aesthetic really well.  Honestly, just an island variant of druids have done that.

I added some abilities that go along with this theme.

Druid is just a shaman variant. Or vice versa.

Rather Chanter is. Shamans talk with spirits.

I like to think of the Druid classes, as interpreted by various RPGs, to be shamans of nature spirits, or the elements. It's a nuance difference, I know.

I think you as well as others are getting too caught up with the name of the class being "shaman". The class can have any name to make it sound more unique. The main purpose of the class is to add a new play style with totems and weapon attacks that I think is actually very unique