Solo, Does this game support such a thing this time?

There's no more random elements involved than in a boarding fight.

Dice rolls everywhere. ;)

Against very good ships like Deck oMT you need some luck though - if you don't have good naval equipment and ranks.

For the sloop: check out the Red Dream hull upgrade. Makes a huge difference and isn't as expensive as a new ship (but feels like having one).  

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

dont try to board any ships if youre solo. youll be swarmed by 10-20 enemies lol.

on POTD the combat will be generally impossible if youre solo IMO but i guess you will be trying to avoid most of it.

You should generally avoid boarding fights because they make no sense - unless you like fights with no special outcome (items or achievements for example) - just for the sake of fighting.

Of course on PotD solo combat is not impossible and one don't have to avoid any fight. Plenty of people here did and do solo megabosses.

If one can solo megabosses one can solo anything in the game.

Doesn't necessarily mean that you can do it of course.

Could be possible if you way out level the boarding fight you're doing or figure out some cheese tactic of breaking the game.

If you can show us a video or screenshots of you soloing the Vailian trading company expert captain on POTD at level 6 or lower I would love to see it though. :D

What do you have against boarding fights? It's a quick and easy way to upgrade to exceptional gear and make a crapload of money.

Even tho it can be easy to wanna jump all over our resident expert (hehe jk Boeroer *heart*) his logic is pretty sound. In a solo run, it makes no sense to go 1v20 in a boarding fight when you can do a tremendously easier ship v ship combat.

As for party campaigns I also go with boarding bc I find it more fun and efficient but I'm usually fighting captains near or below my level on Vet so they start insta gibbing by late game haha.

Edited by Verde

dear blizzard,

you are incompetent morons. why is ther no party members in diablo? i am outraged, please fix this bug immediate

also i noticed there is a gap in your lore, i have attached diagrams

you are an incomnpetent boob

sincerely yours,

cartoons plural

Your trolling was never funny or clever, and it's still the case. Edited by Verde

First game managed to make things work for both play-styles, what's fun or isn't fun is opinion.

Last game supported both, evidenced by the achievements offered, so, not unreasonable to expect the same thing again this time around.

Seriously, I streamed and played POTD solo in POE1, for all intents and purposes, this IS the game I'm looking for. At least it SHOULD be, with it being a SEQUEL and all. So, yeah, it would be ridiculous to not expect both play-styles to work in this game when it did in the last.

Just because something is possible, it doesn't mean it's supported. Solo in POE1 was always nothing more than a challenge for the player, the game was designed with party play in mind.

First game managed to make things work for both play-styles, what's fun or isn't fun is opinion.

Last game supported both, evidenced by the achievements offered, so, not unreasonable to expect the same thing again this time around.

Seriously, I streamed and played POTD solo in POE1, for all intents and purposes, this IS the game I'm looking for. At least it SHOULD be, with it being a SEQUEL and all. So, yeah, it would be ridiculous to not expect both play-styles to work in this game when it did in the last.

Just because something is possible, it doesn't mean it's supported. Solo in POE1 was always nothing more than a challenge for the player, the game was designed with party play in mind.

But hey had a achievement for solo play or? So it had to be possible to do, otherwise that would be just a tease from them and some ppl would have played for no reason, if it wasn't possible.

I do tend to make things hard on myself, in POE 1 when I completed POTD solo I killed everything I could that posed a challenge, I didn't take the quickest route to the credits screen.

I hold off on leveling because it's a tactic I learned from the first game. I also hold off on buying/selling anything until I know that I need to. This play-style doesn't afford you to do unnecessary actions.

I fully understand that I'm playing the game in a way that most people wont play it but this is the way that interests me most and the idea of doing it the "normal" way is a concept that bores me because it's too easy. I don't get the same sense of accomplishment. I like to outsmart the game design, AI, and find clever ways to proceed. I just wasn't sure if Obsidian was supporting my way of playing this time. If there is no achievement like there was for the first game, it certainly would seem like they've shifted away from my play-style... I just didn't feel it was unreasonable to expect to be catered to this time when I was catered to last time. I streamed my entire playthrough and killed everything in POE1 and just wanted to do the same here in the sequel. Doesn't sound like an unreasonable expectation to have.

You get completionist challenges in form of god challenges that you have to put up with. I'm sure it was stated somewhere that Steam achievement or whatever equally meaningless thing will be released once all dlcs and content is out. 

First game wasn't supporting solo... it was just oversight in game development that made certain classes borderline op solo and using multiple characters just made game trivial (although first run thru poe 1 is probably harder with party than solo because you have to micro much more, your attention is divided between many, mostly less geared chars, even tho you got more resources overall than solo char to beat the game) - you played wizard just as I did (completed trial of iron solo) and it had nothing to do with outsmarting the system when 95% of the fights were about getting to the narrowest choke point you could find after pulling, buffing up to survive alpha strikes and then just blasting with aoes... wow what an achievement - I derp on myself too because I used to feel it was a big achievement while in fact it was pretty shallow really when you think about it. Solo achievements were added to PoE 1 after release once they realized some classes are quite easy to actually roll through the game solo - it wasn't a design choice tho. 

PoE 2 was initially super easy, now its made harder to provide reasonable challenge for full party, which in turn makes your solo early pretty dicy, but just like in PoE 1 you get thru it by learning what you can do at what level and what you need to shelve until you get some item and/or level. 

You say you like outsmarting AI - well im here to disappoint you, both poe 1 and poe 2 is about looking at enemy stats, stacking yours to make rolls atleast even between you and ur enemy and then utilizing choke points, bam you beat the game. AI is dumb as **** and there is nothing to outsmart in those games. 

That being said poe 2 is soloable by many classes... certainly you got more ways to trial of iron poe 2 than you had in poe 1 (Think I haven't seen any fighters nor rangers get that achievement in game one). I personally got equivalent of toi tcs in poe2 on wizard/fighter multiclass and softcore tcs on priest/monk (pre nerf). 

Edited by Phyriel
  • Like 1