Patch Notes for 4.1.2.0047

Balance Changes

• Light, one-handed weapon's damage has been slightly increased in turn-based mode.
What qualifies as a light weapon?

My bet goes to one-handed weapons that have 3.0s base recovery time. I.e: clubs, fists, daggers, stilettos, flails, hatchets, rapiers and torches.

Ah, and there are also: wands and cat claws. And speaking of cat claws... - they were unique in that they are faster than other claws, but have same damage.

Seconding calls for an AoE weapon fix. I get that turn-based is new and all, but polishing it shouldn't come at the expense of core mechanics. My playthrough is currently on hold until this is fixed.

Err, seconding the seconding call :)

And also staying on hold, until the AoE weapon afflictions and Brilliant Tactician (when there are multiple tacticians) are fixed.

P.S. Just wanted to add:

- when Essence Interrupter is fixed, please don't forget to test Disintegration and Form of the Helpless Beast. Just in case)

- when AoE weapons will start spreading attached Status Effects to enemies in AoE (and preferably to those damaged, not just hit enemies), please re-check that they don't lose their recovery with Full Attacks like before (on all 3 AI behaviours: full, auto-attack-only and no-AI). And check that "ApplyEffectsToPrimaryOnly" property works fine now).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

So there is still the Day 1 release bug where items no longer slotted are providing benefits. I don't know how hard it is to remedy this, but like I said it's been around since Day 1. For example, my MC and Aloth both benefit from A Whale of a Wand abilities.

I'm wondering if you can completely exploit this by shuffling gear around? It's really baffling to me that this has not been remedied since release. It's really hurting my play sessions bc some chars have a bunch of random bonuses and abilities they shouldn't have.

Edited by Verde

Just thought I would mention this because I'm seeing it mentioned on Reddit and Twitter: probably need to cap the number of free actions a character gets each round.

I don't know about this as in RtWP you could cast many spells directly in a row. For example, if a round is now 6 seconds, that's equivalent to casting 15 wizard spells that are currently marked as free actions. Not to mention a lot of instant class buffs you could stack really quickly in RtWP by simply pausing after each activation.

<p>

Balance Changes

• Light, one-handed weapon's damage has been slightly increased in turn-based mode.

What qualifies as a light weapon?

Pfff... Maces, Sabres, Swords, Hammers of course. It obvious.

So obvious that you got it wrong? ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just thought I would mention this because I'm seeing it mentioned on Reddit and Twitter: probably need to cap the number of free actions a character gets each round.

I don't know about this as in RtWP you could cast many spells directly in a row. For example, if a round is now 6 seconds, that's equivalent to casting 15 wizard spells that are currently marked as free actions. Not to mention a lot of instant class buffs you could stack really quickly in RtWP by simply pausing after each activation.

thing is in RtWP there's a difference between "instant" (like disciplined barrage or thundering blows are so instant they can literally be used while the game is paused) and merely "very very fast" (like frenzy or the fighter's pull effect). In RTWP, the very very fast still consumes animation time (and could even be disrupted). TB doen't seem to distinguish between these, and both are free actions. So while you could spam thundering blows to your hearts content in TB just like in RTwP, you could also spam the fighter's pull ability or spirit tornado as many times as you want in one round without anyone acting, which has no real equivalent tactic in RtWP.

Edited by thelee

The common request is to let you use any number of unique free actions but each one only once. So you can buff your battlemage but you can't spam spirit tornado.

But you can​ spam spirit tornado... in RTwP.

TB only makes more apparent some strong features already existing in RTwP.

I recently found a reddit post about how convenient Black Jackets are becaus eof instant swapping. But this isn't a new feature from TB. 

• Like 2

The common request is to let you use any number of unique free actions but each one only once. So you can buff your battlemage but you can't spam spirit tornado.

I recently found a reddit post about how convenient Black Jackets are becaus eof instant swapping. But this isn't a new feature from TB. 

True, I find it curious how I find myself using many other skills that I used to ignore in real-time. 

yay, summons fixed! I can roll my bellower now

Yes, what about AoE weapons? This is pretty big and I wonder why this isn't a top priority.

i have a sneaking suspicion that this is actually an intended nerf (e.g. the designers never intended for this aoe weapon interaction, and they took wayyyy too long to address it, letting people getting used to it) and the reason why no one official appears to be commenting on it is to try to sidestep the player rage at having such a big and late-in-the-cycle power-level cut.

There is no way I believe Obsidian and the Deadfire team would try to deceive the playerbase like that. Plenty of devs out there have lost my trust over the years but not Obsidian.

• Like 1

In fact, it is a bug. Why ? Because abilities with damage have an advantage. When abilities more focused on afflictions have a big disadvantage.

So there is A GAP of balancing.

And you can't remove also damage in AoE. If not... AoE =... One target ? Lol...

So the gap of balancing come with this loss of AoE effects (one target).

Necessarly a bug with this way of thinking.

+

Our Dev's are aware of this issue and are in the process of having this issue remedied ASAP.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108136-bug-41-aoe-weapons-no-longer-apply-afflictions-in-an-area/

Edited by theBalthazar

Good luck getting the enemy to stand still for even 4 seconds to dump your spirit tornados. The ability to perfectly position yourself against stationary targets is what makes spamming it OP.

As for black jacket swapping, it's not just convenient, it's broken. If you could swap once per turn, allowing you to always have the best weapon for a given target, that would be reasonable. But swapping to that weapon to attack then swapping back to a dagger and large shield for huge defense on the enemy turn is not. I suppose you could hypothetically swap in RTwP in between every auto-attack (not sure how that would affect your recovery, does it still go off your old weapons even after you switch), but that would be insane. I challenge anyone to say that they played this way. And even then it wouldn't be as good as the current TB system since you would at least be more vulnerable during your attack animation as opposed to always having the higher defenses against all enemy attacks.

• Like 2

yay, summons fixed! I can roll my bellower now

Yes, what about AoE weapons? This is pretty big and I wonder why this isn't a top priority.

i have a sneaking suspicion that this is actually an intended nerf (e.g. the designers never intended for this aoe weapon interaction, and they took wayyyy too long to address it, letting people getting used to it) and the reason why no one official appears to be commenting on it is to try to sidestep the player rage at having such a big and late-in-the-cycle power-level cut.

There is no way I believe Obsidian and the Deadfire team would try to deceive the playerbase like that. Plenty of devs out there have lost my trust over the years but not Obsidian.

The thing that gives me pause is that it happened in stages.  First there was a patch that "broke" some AoE weapon (e.g., Citzal's), followed by a subsequent patch that "broke" the rest. 

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know nuthin' about the technicalities of bug-squashing in big CRPGs, and there could easily be wonky technical explanations for all this.  But it feels deliberate. 

Good luck getting the enemy to stand still for even 4 seconds to dump your spirit tornados. The ability to perfectly position yourself against stationary targets is what makes spamming it OP.

As for black jacket swapping, it's not just convenient, it's broken. If you could swap once per turn, allowing you to always have the best weapon for a given target, that would be reasonable. But swapping to that weapon to attack then swapping back to a dagger and large shield for huge defense on the enemy turn is not. I suppose you could hypothetically swap in RTwP in between every auto-attack (not sure how that would affect your recovery, does it still go off your old weapons even after you switch), but that would be insane. I challenge anyone to say that they played this way. And even then it wouldn't be as good as the current TB system since you would at least be more vulnerable during your attack animation as opposed to always having the higher defenses against all enemy attacks.

In RtwP you can swap weapons without any recovery malus if you also take Quick Switch. Together with the Black Jacket passive it theoratically even drops the recovery malus below zero (which is capped though). But unlike PoE your latest action's recovery time is not cancelled by switching. So basically it's free switching and yes - you could switch between auto-attacks and have no recovery malus from that. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

But would you? Pausing every other second to swap weapons in RTwP would be incredibly tedious.

Suppose there was an ability that let you instakill any enemy if you could solve a fiendishly difficult math problem but would kill you if you answered incorrectly. No one would use it because it would be too hard and the penalty too harsh. Now suppose they changed the math problem to simple addition. It would break the game even though this would only technically be a "quality of life" change. The hypothetical strength of the ability hasn't changed (in perfect play it automatically wins in either case) but its real life applicability certainly has.

I would argue TB affects several abilities, such as spirit tornado or free weapon swapping, in the same way. It doesn't matter that you could hypothetically get similar (though again I'd argue not identical) performance in RTwP, the increased ease of use materially affects the strength and balance of abilities.

Edited by arkteryx
  • Like 1

So I'm having a problem that I think was caused by the latest patch, and I wonder if anyone has any insight on how to get around it.

Ever since I updated the game to the latest patch, I've found that POE2 no longer launches in full screen mode in Windows 10. Or it still does, but for some reason, the windows 10 task bar blocks everything at the bottom of the screen. This is hugely problematic because the task bar blocks the 'Delay Turn' button in turn-based, and also cuts off the bottom portion of my character's portraits (meaning I cannot see health values and resource amounts).

I've looked all over in options and I can't find any way to set the display back to what it was before, and it's completely halted my playthrough for the time being.

I don't believe any of the mods I'm using are causing this issue either (the 6 party members mod and the Spoils of Caed Nua), launching the game normally without them still causes the issue to persist.

Edited by Saito Hikari

Ever since I updated the game to the latest patch, I've found that POE2 no longer launches in full screen mode in Windows 10. Or it still does, but for some reason, the windows 10 task bar blocks everything at the bottom of the screen.

Have you checked that the Window Mode is still set to "Fullscreen"?

If it is... try to set it to Windowed -> Apply Changes -> Fullscreen -> Apply Changes. Maybe it will reset it.

Otherwise you could try: ctrl+shift+esc (to open task manager) -> find Windows Explorer -> right click on it and restart. Do this while in game.

• Like 1

Ever since I updated the game to the latest patch, I've found that POE2 no longer launches in full screen mode in Windows 10. Or it still does, but for some reason, the windows 10 task bar blocks everything at the bottom of the screen.

Have you checked that the Window Mode is still set to "Fullscreen"?

If it is... try to set it to Windowed -> Apply Changes -> Fullscreen -> Apply Changes. Maybe it will reset it.

Otherwise you could try: ctrl+shift+esc (to open task manager) -> find Windows Explorer -> right click on it and restart. Do this while in game.

I had the same problem, and ending then restarting Windows Explorer solved it, permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

couple of annoying things that still need fixing:

- ranger's ghost animal gets AI behaviour reset on every resummon, 

- pet party bonuses used to stack/linger on non-companion followers after re-inviting them to party.