Haven't watched this video, but watched some of their other stuff, and it seems prudent to at least wait for beta to be over, because there are certain mechanics that seem way too abusable and likely to be patched (free action spamming mostly).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

After some time thinking about it I really don't think these are even close to the strongest builds possible in TBM. The most powerful builds are IMO, still hold overs from RTwP. Helwalker/Ascendant, blunderbus shenanigans, etc.

The builds FextraLife presents are:

1)  Psyblade Tank (Blackjacket/Cypher) - Tank

2)  Forbidden Fist Votary (Monk/Paladin) - DPS, Disabler, Martial

3)  Berserker Warlock (Barbarian/Wizard)  - DPS Martial

4)  Skirmishing Scout (Ranger/Rogue) - DPS Hybrid

5)  Elemental Shifter (Helwalker/Shifter) - DPS Hybrid, Tank

The Blackjacket is really the only potentially exploitative build. Personally I think it's fine - it'll create a few unique builds and give the game more depth. One subclass being able to do pretty much what it's supposed to does not unbalance things. I hope it doesn't get nerfed, since it's a neat exclusive-to-TB build. There's probably some similar builds based on switching around PL boosting weapons.

I think the brief guide on Forbidden Fist is good. It's a strong foundation for other people interested in character building to work from when trying out possible FF builds. It only loosely ties into TB with the acknowledgement that initiative replacing action speed makes One Big Hit DPR more desirable.

The Warlock was already doable in RTwP. It's unclear to me what makes it better in TB, other than that you don't have to hold down the shift key between clicking Frenzy and clicking Infuse with Vital Essence. Once again, it's a nice guide - I think combining Blood Mage and Berserker to self-harm for Activated on Bloodied stuff is a cool concept and the brief outline on how to set it up and mitigate risks is helpful. It just doesn't seem like it has any special interactions with TB.

The Skirmishing Scout is just noticing that Animal Companions don't suck if you actually micro them (also doable in RTwP). I kind of get it, since I was also pretty impressed with how much better everything is when you don't let the AI handle anything but it's straight up not a build. It's even ignorant of how TB works, since having higher initiative than your AC is unnecessary if you delay your AC when it gets to act ahead of you.

The Elemental Shifter is, alongside the Blackjacket, the only one of these I would consider fully a TB build. Applying TB's automatic full attack to a mechanic that was lacking it is a great idea. I'm probably gonna try some Ascetic Shifter DPR builds now.

IMO the most powerful builds in TB are the ones that exploit the way a fair amount of crowd control effects last for a full turn, gaining an effective duration boost over RTwP. There's some potential for powerful free action builds but the only free actions I've found to be over-the-top abusable are the Fighter's Into the Fray (which is partially mitigated by its high cost) and the Barbarian's Spirit Tornado (probably could use a nerf - being able to apply hard control and AoE damage as a Free Action is wild). Besides that, Gniel is right that most of the best RTwP builds stay at the top. The only ones that truly suffer are the action speed based ones.

• Like 1

it seems prudent to at least wait for beta to be over, because there are certain mechanics that seem way too abusable and likely to be patched (free action spamming mostly).

This.

I mean, there is big talk about how the "turns" are implemented wrong, and it all has to be changed. If it gets changed as proposed, all slugs with their 3 Dex + Heavy Armor are going to be screwed. My drunk and high orlan corps-eater/bellower will definitely be screwed.

Have to wait.

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

Surprised to not see any arquebus builds.

Of all the weapons, I think it may actually benefit the most from TB.

It definitely does! I think you'd find the guide a little disappointing: Stack as many Elemental Lashes as you can and equip the Red Hand. The Red Hand gives you Initiative 0 on your second shot... allowing you to vaporize enemies with back-to-back shots.

Edited by mzum

The Blackjacket is really the only potentially exploitative build. Personally I think it's fine - it'll create a few unique builds and give the game more depth. One subclass being able to do pretty much what it's supposed to does not unbalance things. I hope it doesn't get nerfed, since it's a neat exclusive-to-TB build. There's probably some similar builds based on switching around PL boosting weapons.

I kinda feel like Rangers should be able to weapon swap as a free action in tb too. Just because how so many of their abilities are split between being clearly made for melee and others for ranged.  Or maybe give it to those that take arms bearer but they can't use it more then once every 3-4 turns? IDK. 

Edited by QuiteGoneJin