[BUG] Essence Interruptor, does not deal "best of shock/pierce" damage as described!

Enurale

Question

Im building a character for "Essence Interuptor", shes a "cipher(ascendent)/warrior(devoted)". This multiclass has an incredible synergy with essence interruptor on the paper.

My thought when I started the game was how perfect this weapon is, because of its property of dealing the best of shock/pierce damage but now, i discovered a bug and my thought is changed. If there is a mob with "shock immunity", this weapon does NOT apply pierce damage too, and attacks to this mob hits for zero damage, so it does not deal best of pierce/shock. Attacks says;  "Enurale Hits Scourging Blight but Scourging Blight is Immune! >--->", but its not immune to pierce damage, other characters with pierce damage type weapons, hits successfully to this mob, because it only is immune to shock damage, not to pierce.

* It works if the target is immune to pierce
* It works as "best of pierce/shock" if there is only AR difference, not immunity.
* it does not work if the target is immune to shock

So you cant deal any damage to the mobs, which has immunity to shock.

And my essence interruptor idea is collapsed, but i can manage with another backup hunting bow, i guess.

Edited by Enurale
  • Like 1

17 answers to this question

I had this happen with Lord Darryn's Voulge too, supposed to be slash shock. If one AR is lower it properly switches types but if they were simply immune to shock it did nothing (didn't test on slash immune targets). Luckily there are very few shock immune enemies so just fake your way through those fights and move on. There are however lots of pierce immune enemies, have you tried it on them, would be interesting to see what it does.

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the heads up on the "best of" issue for the Essence Interrupter.  I put a report in for this and sent it to the QA And Systems Design teams to investigate.  If you discover anything else about that, please continue to post about it here.

In regards to the item destruction due to the weapon, we might have a fix for this so keep an eye on future patch notes.

Thanks for the help and sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing.

• Like 1

Is there any correction about the bugs of this weapon? Loot destroying and best of damage issue i mean.

Waiting for this weapon for my new playthrough. ;(   >> :luck: >> :wub: >>  :thumbsup:

Edited by Enurale

It is the same problem as described: here

Some enemies are not just immune to damage of type "x"; but have also immunity vs specific keyword.

And Essence Interrupter's attack has "shock" keyword.

Ideally, weapon attacks perhaps shouldn't have their elemental keywords persistently stored, but rather applied dynamically after.

E.g:

- you shoot the bow

- the game checks that there is Pierce DamageType and Shock AlternateDamageType, and checks if enemy has Pierce KEYWORD immunity or Shock KEYWORD immunity, and discards unmatching damage type.

- if enemy is not immune to neither of these keywords, apply PEN bonuses (like Heart of the Storm), compare to enemy AR values, and select the most advantageous one.

- if it turned out to be elemental, attach related keyword. E.g: Shock damage type? -> add Shock keyword

This way:

- You will be able to deal pierce damage to enemies that are immune to shock keyword.

- You won't be healing greater blights when pierce damage is dealt.

- Arcane Archers won't get acc. penalty when Shock damage is dealt. But they will, when Pierce damage is dealt.

But it would require extra handling, and might be inconvenient to implement for the programmer...

Edited by MaxQuest

The last part is really weird though. It's the same weapon used with he same ability. Why would you get an ACC malus on impact? :)

And if the keyword is attached afterwards - how do you know that Essence Interrupter profits from Heart of the Storm and thus gets +1 PEN for the shock dmg in order to pick the "better" dmg type?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The last part is really weird though. It's the same weapon used with he same ability. Why would you get an ACC malus on impact? :)

It's a bit weird indeed. But you can't leave that Elemental Keyword on attack, otherwise pierce damage won't damage enemies immune to that keyword.

But if you want for AA to not get the accuracy penalty with Essence Interrupter when Pierce damage is dealt (because it was more advantageous)... then it's better to tweak the code behind Arcane Archer's Passive itself, e.g: if either primary or alternative damage type is elemental - don't apply the penalty.

And if the keyword is attached afterwards - how do you know that Essence Interrupter profits from Heart of the Storm and thus gets +1 PEN for the shock dmg in order to pick the "better" dmg type?

- first you check your damage types and enemy "keyword immunities" vs those. And discard the options that enemy is immune to.

- second you add the penetration bonuses.

- third you check enemy "damage immunities" and "damage AR"; and select the advantageous damage type.

Edited by MaxQuest

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the heads up on the "best of" issue for the Essence Interrupter.  I put a report in for this and sent it to the QA And Systems Design teams to investigate.  If you discover anything else about that, please continue to post about it here.

In regards to the item destruction due to the weapon, we might have a fix for this so keep an eye on future patch notes.

I'm also noticing my great swords are doing piercing damage instead of slashing to piercing resistant and even immune creatures, this seems related. 

Hello everyone!

I'm also noticing my great swords are doing piercing damage instead of slashing to piercing resistant and even immune creatures, this seems related. 

We build the characters almost entirely according to the properties of the items, expecially weapons. Item proterties almost important as core character creation expacially for experienced players, i hope, developers can start to fixes soon for this items. :)

Edited by Enurale

The same happens with rods (e.g. Watershaper's Focus): they do piercing damage to stuff (e.g. Sigils) that is immune to pierce, instead of doing slash damage. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Guess not, since it's not in the patch notes. But it would be handy if someone double-checked that.

Edited by MaxQuest

6 hours ago, Enurale said:

Is the bugs of this bow continue or fixed ?  I mean best damage and loot destroy issues.

According to @Boeroer the lot drop Bug was addressed.

Dont know about this one. If I run intro such enemy soon i will let you know.