Cipher/Paladin Rank 1 is really troll, sadly not even a good class with any awesome synergy.(This is coming from somebody who absolutely loved these classes in Poe1 and was superhype for the multiclass)

Not counting the subclasses makes this even worse, Bloodmage + anything is so meta and while wizard in itself is good enough to be rank 3 or maybe even 2 or 1 adding the subclasses would make this much more accurate.

The cipher from PoE1 is gone indeed, but the soulblade/paladin is, just like the troubadour/paladin, one of the best soloers in the game - very reliable and can deal with anything you throw at him from the start until the end (megabosses included). And he's also a great addition for a party if you want a tank with good offense and versatility.

That's not a good synergy at all tho, Soulblade has that with any melee class and Paladin has that with any class, and I definitely would not compare ciphers with chanters in this game, while they were similar in poe 1(the chanter was still stronger by quite a bit, except against dragons where cipher was god tier) they are not even in the same tier in this game.

Yes you can solo the game easily with both, but are there really many classes that can't kill the megabosses? (I know only of a chosen few)

Maybe there's no particular synergy, but they complement each other really well and is certainly more reliable than other combos. And yes, I think that only a few well rounded classes/combos can solo the entire content.

PS. With the nerf of Wall of Draining I'm curious if your bloodmage/tactician still can solo Dorudugan...

• Like 1

Monk 18? The class that can solo the mega bosses. Not really accurate. And opinion of ppl, that played the game through once?

To be fair, just being able to solo a megaboss does not necessarily equate to general power. Solo-ing basically amounts to "is this class lucky enough to have the right inherent toolset to take advantage of some technical tricks." For example, my two solo runs (one Triple Crown, one The Ultimate) for PoE1 used a chanter and paladin, respectively, and it had less to do with any in-built power, but more just about their sheer ability to repeatedly use powers or high defenses themselves (e.g. infinite summons with chanter, bonus defense with paladin) and I would nowhere near put them on the top of the list of "most powerful PoE1 classes."

That being said, I think lists like this are pretty useful if you acknowledge their shortcomings. They are essentially a crowd-sourced list of what casual Deadfire players think are powerful (because it'll basically be heavily weighted towards casual players), and if you contextualize it like that, it can be a good guide for other casual players to quickly figure out what are good classes to pick up and play. But if you start picking at it ever so slightly for more details, or expect some high-end guides on class/multiclass power, it's going to collapse really quickly. (Imagine determining Starcraft 2 meta or Super Smash Bros tier lists based largely just on what casual players like to play or worse think they like to play.)

Chanters in PoE1 were absolute godtier because of their sheer power.

This power did not lie in summons, once you reach level 9 using an invocation took away from the power of the dragon chant, interrupting the dragon chant stops stacking it, a double stacked dragon chant was already by far the highest dps ingame, tracking three times was easy, stacking 4 times was achievable at max level.

Funnily enough using invocations is the only thing interrupting chanting, healing or buffing yourself via consumables is possible while maintaining massive dps, the chanter was by far the most superior bountykiller in all of poe1, regular mobs just melted without even aknowledging their presence.

The only one thing chanters were not top dog was dragons, they were still very strong against them it's just that the cipher was better at it and this only after a buff to a cipher ability - psychic backlash - had an unexpected (and most likely unintended) sidewffwct of making it unlimited instead of 1x per encounter.

Mind you killing a dragon with ads probably still took the cipher longer than the chanter due to the higher power of the dragon chant, but the cipher killed dragons more comfortably, a permastunned foe is a lot less intimadating.

Cipher/Paladin Rank 1 is really troll, sadly not even a good class with any awesome synergy.(This is coming from somebody who absolutely loved these classes in Poe1 and was superhype for the multiclass)

Not counting the subclasses makes this even worse, Bloodmage + anything is so meta and while wizard in itself is good enough to be rank 3 or maybe even 2 or 1 adding the subclasses would make this much more accurate.

The cipher from PoE1 is gone indeed, but the soulblade/paladin is, just like the troubadour/paladin, one of the best soloers in the game - very reliable and can deal with anything you throw at him from the start until the end (megabosses included). And he's also a great addition for a party if you want a tank with good offense and versatility.

That's not a good synergy at all tho, Soulblade has that with any melee class and Paladin has that with any class, and I definitely would not compare ciphers with chanters in this game, while they were similar in poe 1(the chanter was still stronger by quite a bit, except against dragons where cipher was god tier) they are not even in the same tier in this game.

Yes you can solo the game easily with both, but are there really many classes that can't kill the megabosses? (I know only of a chosen few)

Maybe there's no particular synergy, but they complement each other really well and is certainly more reliable than other combos. And yes, I think that only a few well rounded classes/combos can solo the entire content.

PS. With the nerf of Wall of Draining I'm curious if your bloodmage/tactician still can solo Dorudugan...

By draining wall nerf you mean the stacking walls is gone?

I soloed ooze after that nerf it doesn't actually make a difference for any of the megabosses, against Doru I used enemies summoned via killing phantoms with essence interrupter and when it finally spawned the fire blight summoned by magran belt, these enemies have 50 will and get crit multiple times per second by one wall.

I can't get duration from the Wall anymore iirc - only if the enemies have real buffs that can be drained.

I only played turn based recently so idk what's happening in real time mode atm, but in turn based you get duration normally from any enemy, not only that, but if you push enemies away and they reaggro and walk over the wall you get additional rounds of buffs per enemy, if you're surrounded by multiple melees your bdd goes up from 1 to 10 rounds instantly.

Maybe, there is plenty of glitches still in the game. :D

Also as long as they don't fix the food stacking exploit even the worst class in the game can solo the megabosses, something horrible like a rogue/cipher is suddenly godtier because having 200 in each defense and -70% dmg taken and +50% damage dealt suddenly means it is super tanky but its damage output is ... well the damage output of a rogue/cipher, by far the highest damage ingame + 50% damage from foods.

I reviewed the list and the current Top 10 list includes 7 or 8 of my favorite builds.

Oddly enough when I first look at this list, I kept thinking the head-to-head comparisons were really a question of, "Who would win in PvP?" 

If the game had PvP, I wold favor speed of movement/casting/attacks (wiz, monk), disabling powers (wiz, priest), quick escape moves (rogue), and spiking damage (wiz, cipher, monk, rogue). Meanwhile, survivability (straight up toughness) and utility receive less priority.

Then I look at the list again and I contemplate boss killing...  Suddenly survivability (fighter, paladin, wiz) and renewing resources (chanter, cipher, fighter/tactician, wiz/blood) begin to shine.

Yeah, the pattern for success includes combos with: Wiz, Cipher, Chanter, Monk, Fighter, Rogue, and Paladin

All builds can be successful and fun (especially in a party), but that top 10 ten list is pretty spot on for me (hypothetical-PvP and Boss Killing).  

Odd...  probably not the way I should look at it, but that's where my logic takes me.

Edited by heldred

I'm a fan of stuff like this in general, there are some classes that are typically better than others most of the time and for people who care about that stuff it's useful information to have imo.

There will always be exceptions to list like this, certain very specific builds or what ever, but those are more outliers than the rule.