Need help with AI Script: buff specific Charakter

Hi!

I want Xoti to buff my character, but I can't find a solution, so I need your help to get her job done ;)

If you download the AI conditionals mod from the Nexus it has lots of additions to the scripting that make a lot of things possible.

Which buffs do you want Xoti to cast on your character? With the mod, you can do things like "target is class:fighter" and if you're the only fighter in the party, problem solved.

Stop using AI altogether and give the commands yourself.

This is likely to be the only solution, and even if there's an AI solution, this is still a lot better.

Not necessarily. With buffing especially it's often better to use a well written script, because if you do it yourself by hand you're likely to forget some of your buffs, or accidentally cast buffs that don't stack with other buffs, etc.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

It's possible, but I doubt it. I checked the AI for a little bit very early on in the game (like, before going to Port Maje), decided it doesn't seem to work well enough and ditched it completely after that.

Yeah, get the mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/88?tab=posts

It's revolutionary. Just as one example, I have my cipher set to start casting the moment she Ascends, one of the first buffs she casts is Defensive Mindweb, then I have Xoti scripted to cast Salvation of Time on (ally)(cipher)(kith) whenever Xoti has the Defensive Mindweb buff. So, automatic twenty extra seconds of Ascension. 

You can also do things like "if target has combusting wounds" "cast minor missiles at target" "unless target has Arcane Reflection active" etc. 

• Like 1

Stop using AI altogether and give the commands yourself.

This is likely to be the only solution, and even if there's an AI solution, this is still a lot better.

Self-buffing the wizards with all their buffs is better done with a script, or the tedium would be unbearable. It's ~6 same casts every combat...

Hi!

I want Xoti to buff my character, but I can't find a solution, so I need your help to get her job done ;)

A workaround would be to give the character an affliction, or inspiration, that nobody else in the party has. And than target the buff at that character.

For example, with a monk, one can scrip to use swift strikes whenever not under an dexterity inspiration. And script Xoti to target the buff at the ally with the dexterity inspiration.

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

Franknstein: Here's an interesting fact. I've never once self-buffed a wizard in this game, nor in the previous one. Despite playing on a high difficulty, there is simply no need.

Well, that is play-style dependent, obviously. One could arm a wizard with a bow and ignore his casting completely. On PoTD. Solo. I guess...

Yet, if one does the buffing routine, – the script is a godsend. The same goes for the priest (and if there is no need for the priest buffs, there simply is no need for a priest in the party).

• Like 1

Franknstein: Here's an interesting fact. I've never once self-buffed a wizard in this game, nor in the previous one. Despite playing on a high difficulty, there is simply no need.

I was playing with a Battlemage (Fighter/Wizard) and I had her cast a whole bunch of spells on every combat start which would have been tedious without scripts but with my script I never even had to think about it.

Caveat: Not using the mod.

But if your char excels in one stat or ability, you can target that char via that stat, I think. 

Cast 'buff ' on "ally" with "most sexiness" or "lowest fortitude".

Nerf Troubadour!

Well, that is play-style dependent, obviously. One could arm a wizard with a bow and ignore his casting completely. On PoTD. Solo. I guess...

Yet, if one does the buffing routine, – the script is a godsend. The same goes for the priest (and if there is no need for the priest buffs, there simply is no need for a priest in the party).

Concerning the second half of your post: I don't doubt that, and given that I no longer have anything to contribute to this thread (given my playing style), I should probably shut up.

But concerning the first half of your post: Very much so, yes. I find it quite interesting that it's entirely possible to play a spell-casting-dependent wizard without actually ever having to cast any buffs, i.e. simply focusing on the offensive, either in the damaging or in the incapacitating sense. Whilst not wanting to start a fight, games like BG2 would hardly give you that option, at least on higher difficulties. (Again: not complaining. I just find it curious.)

But concerning the first half of your post: Very much so, yes. I find it quite interesting that it's entirely possible to play a spell-casting-dependent wizard without actually ever having to cast any buffs, i.e. simply focusing on the offensive, either in the damaging or in the incapacitating sense. Whilst not wanting to start a fight, games like BG2 would hardly give you that option, at least on higher difficulties. (Again: not complaining. I just find it curious.)

Yo, I see no reason for a fight here. Deadfire is cool and awesome, speaking volumes for a good balance, were there is no clear "best" option and one can do as one likes and be efficient at that.

BG is old. Game mechanics design went a long way from there.

And tangents are the flesh and blood of these forums! The most epic stuff! =)

• Like 1