Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Talkin' Hardball

2019 Baseball Thread

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

#19 Mile High no hitter

Coors Field is where bad pitchers go when they die. Fly outs in any other stadium are home runs there. But in 1996 Hideo Nomo threw a no hitter there for the Dodgers. The cool part is oERA at Coors that season was 5.12 so this was a pretty big deal. And as far as I can tell this was the only no hitter thrown in Denver to date.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#18 Guard Dog is in love:

You know i had to get this in somewhere!

Edited by Guard Dog, 02 March 2019 - 04:17 AM.

• Volourn, Hurlshot and ShadySands like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#17 Fisk waves it fair

Game 6 of the '75 series in extra innings Carlton Fisk wills a ball fair to force a game 7:

Of course we all know what happened in game 7. But it was still a very cool moment. Incidentally if you've ever seen the movie Good Will Hunting this was the HR Matt Damon & Robin Williams were talking about. 

Edited by Guard Dog, 03 March 2019 - 05:08 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

The Salem Red Sox will be going with an all female radio broadcast team this year: https://ballparkdige...019-broadcasts/

I've never heard of Melanie Newman but Suzie Cool definitely has broadcast chops. I believe this is the first time the whole broadcast team is female. It's probably a much bigger deal than it should be because women have been doing PbP & Color for years now. Just like male broadcaster some are better than others. Good is good no matter the gender of the voice. John Sterling and Susan Walderman on the Yankees radio team have been together for years and do a great job. 

Edited by Guard Dog, 03 March 2019 - 05:29 AM.

• Hurlshot likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#16 The Bartman Incident

This might be higher on the list but to tell the truth it had little impact on the game. Certainly not proportionate to the aftermath. Bartman did't walk Luis Castillo. He didn't throw a wild pitch that put Juan Pierre on 3rd. He didn't give up a 2 run single to Ivan Rodriguez or cause Alex Gonzalez to commit a fielding error that allowed Castillo to score and load the bases. He didn't give up a double on the next AB to Derek Lee. And he wasn't even at Game 7. Let's face it the Cubs were cursed!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#15 Lou Gehrig Retires:

Edited by Guard Dog, 04 March 2019 - 11:51 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

Some broadcasting news:

Jessica Mendoza has been hired by the Mets as a special adviser. She will still be doing color on Sunday Night Baseball I'm happy to say. I rally like that team the have on Sunday nights: https://www.mlb.com/...ts-front-office

CC Sabathia will join ESPN one he retires after this season (or sooner) https://www.mlb.com/...st-team-at-espn

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

Jaren Shelby steal FIVE bases including home last weekend vs Eastern Carolina. Tell me he wouldn't look good in a Marlins uniform! https://www.facebook...76797689370701/

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#14 Bill Buckner

The curse of the Bambino rears it's head again as Buckner lets an easy out slip between his legs and the Mets force a Game 7

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#13 The Miracle Mets

Worst to First comebacks from one season to the next are common enough in the  era of free agency. But doing it in season is pretty rare. To say the '69 Mets started slow would be an understatement. Going into June they had a .475 winning percentage and were 11 games out of first. But no one expected anything from them that year so what happened next was pretty improbable. The Mets went 79-39 the rest f the way and won the pennant by 8 games. Then swept the Braves and won the WS against a very strong Orioles team in 5 games. 

• Hurlshot likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#12 Jackie Steals Home

George Davis stole home for the White Sox during the 1906 World Series. I didn't happen again for 49 years but when it did Jackie made it look easy. It takes guts to make this move. But one thing Robinson had in great quantities was guts!

Since then it's only been done twice. Tim MCarver in '64 and Brad Fullmer in '02. I was sure Reggie Jackson did it but it turned out that was in the ALCS not the WS

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

The Atlantic League of Independent Professional Baseball, a respected indy league has agreed to become the laboratory of bad ideas and weird s--t for the MLB: https://www.sfchroni...ue-13673538.php

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Saw that one on CNNs site. Some catchers are also complaining that it would alter the way catchers do their thing as it was described as having an art to it.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Any of the distance changes is the biggest concern I see. I can't really decide wear I stand on the auto-called strikes and balls, but it sounds like the system still needs work regardless. For now it's a good way to weed out bad umps, I suppose.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

11a. Kirk Gibson wins the Game:

1988 WS Game 1 an injured Kirk Gibson smacks a 2 run homerun off Dennis Eckersly to win game 1. The LA Times still says this is the greatest sports moment in LA history:

11b. Gibson did it four years earlier for Detroit in the '84 Series:

Goose Gossage is still mad about this by the way! On a different note how cool is it to hear Vin Scully & Ernie Harwell in one post?

Edited by Guard Dog, 09 March 2019 - 04:56 AM.

• Hurlshot likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#10 CUBS WIN

A WS 108 years in the making. The curse of the billy goat is broken at last:

Edited by Guard Dog, 09 March 2019 - 10:04 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#9 Jackie Robinson's First Game

The significance of this is self evident. However I can't find a video, audio, or even image that I know for sure came from 4/15/47 against the Giants. So, this is the next best thing:

Robinson1stGame.jpg

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

The 2021 WS will be the Padres vs the Blue Jays. Book it!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#8 Cal Ripken breaks the record for consecutive games with 2131:

Edited by Guard Dog, 12 March 2019 - 03:01 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#7 The Man of Steal

Rickey Henderson steals #939 to pass Lou Brock. He went on to swipe 467 more in his career for a staggering 1406 stolen bases. Stealing is very much out of favor in the MLB right now so it may be a very long time before this record is broken. In fact, like Cal Ripken's 2131 game streak it may never be. Jose Reyes and Ichiro Suzuki are the closest active players and they have 517 and 509 respectively. Reyes is 35 so his stealing days are behind him and Suzuki is only playing in two more games. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users