Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Talkin' Hardball

2019 Baseball Thread

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

#22 The Bird

The ultimate wrong place at the wrong time!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

I really wish we could keep sports and politics separate. Well, we can't with this kind of story popping up as often as the do. Here is the link: https://bleacherrepo...medium=referral

I'll save you some reading. It's about poor Bruce Maxwell the former Oakland A's catcher and MLB player  who joined the whole kneeling thing during the national anthem two seasons ago. Now poor Bruce Maxwell is out of baseball. Blacklisted if you accept the tone of the article although Miller never specifically says he is. The insinuation is plain. Of course more than halfway through the story Miller admits Maxwell's agent says the concern teams have wasn't his social justice protest but his other criminal chargers but more than that is his on field performance.

In 2016 he slashed .283/.337/.402  and was above league average in fielding for a WAR of 5. In 2017 he was .237/.329/.333 still not bad but was a little bit of a liability behind the plate below league average in fielding and worst of all was -7 in DRS. All combine to gave him a 0 WAR for 2017. In 2018  he slashed .182/.207/.309 and struggled more on defense for a WAR of -1. Free agents with these numbers don't get contracts. 

In sports performance trumps all. Numbers talk, all other BS walks. Michael Vick is the one of the the most despicable human beings to ever play in the NFL. But he had no trouble finding work after three years in UFP. Why? For one he accepted the contract he was offered and except for his rookie year in no season he took snaps did his QBR fall below 69. His second year back it was 100. That is top 5 in the league. That kind of performance makes up for all the protests, criticism, and bad karma from having Dogkiller on your team.  

Now take Kaepernick. This last three seasons is QBR was 60, 43, 49. Unless you play for the Jacksonville Jaguars that will not even get you a backup job in the NFL. And he is demanding top pay for a QB. I guarantee you on thing though, knees or no, protests or no, if CK was throwing the ball like Michael Vick did when he came back to the league he'd have a NFL job right now. 

Check you politics at the door please. No one gets "black listed" for that. You get black listed when you can't contribute. 

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

is football, so will keep brief.  kaepernick numbers were ok with harbaugh, and then slipped into suckage range after harbaugh left the 49ers.  is easy to find articles predicting end o' kaepernick career as a starting qb from before his anthem protest, and we has posted links to multiple such in the nfl threads.  compounding problems for kaepernick were how his success in the nfl were limited to one variation o' the read-option: zone-option.  zone-option is arguable read-option in simplest form 'cause the qb only reads the defensive end.  nfl defenses picked up on zone-option gimmick within a couple seasons, which is why no team in the league relies exclusive on zone-read.  fact kaepernick were demanding starter consideration and monies were baffling to pretty much every pundit, right up until the protests.

am not certain why sitting for the anthem made kaepernick a better qb in 2016, 2017 and 2018 compared to 2015 and 2014. as a physically talented guy who could backup a starter, kaepernick deserved a looksee, but such ain't what kaepernick wanted. kaepernick sits and then many o' those experts who said the 49ers qb time were past inexplicable claimed bafflement when kaepernick were passed over during fa. weird.

however, am gonna admit we ain't so certain talent always trumps other issues, but the thing is, am admitted having a hard time imagining what would be threshold.  criminal behavior such as vick's weren't enough 'cause he had paid his debt to society, or so the narrative went. am thinking it would be different if the crime committed were sexual, but then is difficult to imagine a prison term as short as vick's 18 months for a sexual crime which would offend nfl fans and owners enough to effective blacklist.

perhaps if player crime were sexual & dog related?

HA! Good Fun!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

You are right about that. Even the accusation of child abuse or sexual assault would likely do it. But any kind of conviction for something like that would have them in prison for so long a comeback bid would be moot. Well, Rothlinsburger had to deal with something like that not too far back but I seem to remember that was a credibility problem with the complainant. 

That whole anthem protest thing and the reaction to it was so stupid. Doing something like that to purposely annoy people is dumb but actually getting annoyed by it is only rewarding the behavior. It's like training a dog. If they do something bad to get attention don't reward the behavior with attention. Even negative attention. If everyone had just let it go it would have died quietly in a week or two. Instead it turned into a two year absurdity that never quite seems to go away. On the other side CK & Co really should have kept their political protests to their own time. Don't bring your politics to the office. Levi's stadium was his office. Do whatever you feel is right on your own time but check it at the door when you go to work.  

Edited by Guard Dog, 27 February 2019 - 01:48 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#21 Did you catch that?

Jose Fernandez catches a line drive right off the bat of Tulo. Such a damn shame he passed away. 

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

The Rockies sign their franchise player long term: https://www.mlb.com/...on-with-rockies

• Hurlshot likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

#20 Breaking the Curse

In 2004 after an 86 year drought the Red Sox finally break the curse of the Bambino

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Kyler Murray is too tall to be a QB. Should stick to besbol.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Kyler Murray is too tall to be a QB. Should stick to besbol.

momentarily perplexed until we recalled leferd is an A's fan.

HA! Good Fun!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

Kyler Murray: Hmmm... would I rather be the starting QB of the Phoenix Cardinals/Miami Dolphins next year or a staring infielder for the Stockton Ports?

When you're a millionaire either way it's a nice problem to have! If I were him I'd pick baseball. Better earning potential over a longer period. Plus baseball contracts are guaranteed. The NFL not so much. 

• ShadySands likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Kyler Murray: Hmmm... would I rather be the starting QB of the Phoenix Cardinals/Miami Dolphins next year or a staring infielder for the Stockton Ports?

When you're a millionaire either way it's a nice problem to have! If I were him I'd pick baseball. Better earning potential over a longer period. Plus baseball contracts are guaranteed. The NFL not so much. 

endorsement Ks has changed the calculus in the last decade.  for a guy like jeff samarzidja, who woulda' been late first or early second round draft worthy as a wr, am thinking baseball makes sense.  choice is much harder for kyler murray who will be a presumed starter at qb for some nfl team from day 1.  a huge shoe K for murray as an infielder for the ports?  hmmm. 

if football does't work out for murray in the next four years, he may go back and do baseball. am suspecting a future baseball K, albeit initial smaller, would still be offered murray as long as he don't suffer a career ending injury. reverse? less likely. 

am admitting baseball first makes much sense, even when considering endorsements and such, but am thinking the choice is not so clear to us.

HA! Good Fun!

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3343 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Repeated but related story - once upon a time when I met Cliff Branch (3 rings) and Lester Hayes (2 rings) at a card show and told them I wanted to be a football player when I grew up they told me to forget about football and play baseball instead. 

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As stated, probably easier to go play football for a couple seasons, washout, and then go play baseball. Heck, Tim Tebow is doing that now and apparently still has a shot. I do miss the days of the two sport athletes. 

boknows.jpg?w=640

• Guard Dog and ShadySands like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3343 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jim Thorpe... I'm outta names off of the top of my head.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jim Thorpe... I'm outta names off of the top of my head.

were far more common in ye olde tymes.  guys such as george halas and charles dressen would make list.  am suspecting there were a bunch o' old skool players who played pro football autumn and winter and pro baseball in spring and summer, if only 'cause neither job alone would cover cost o' living for average players back then.

lesser known guys such as drew henson and dj dozier is modern guys who make the list, if only barely.  for example, am pretty sure dozier only played a single year for the mets.

but again, am suspecting is bunches o' names from before even Gromnir's time. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps only reason we know halas played baseball is 'cause o' a george halas documentary we half remember from a couple decades past.  he played three sports in college, were rose bowl mvp and served in navy both ww1 and ww2. etc.  

Edited by Gromnir, 28 February 2019 - 01:13 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

Bo Jackson and his hobbies! Remember that commercial? That guy was something else. But it took a while for me to forgive hm for what he did to my Bucs.

This just broke. Bryce Harper chose the Phillies: https://www.mlb.com/...l-with-phillies

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Bo Jackson and his hobbies! Remember that commercial? That guy was something else. But it took a while for me to forgive hm for what he did to my Bucs.

there were something weird in the water during the early-mid 80s.  herschel walker actual had faster track times than bo in college, and competed olympic two-man bobsled. in high school, walker won state in 100, 200 and shot put.

two guys, one year apart, who were once-in-a-generation athletes and had near identical size at 6'1" and ~225.

HA! Good Fun!

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It would have been nice to see Harper with the Giants, but 13 years is a crazy long contract.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

there were something weird in the water during the early-mid 80s.  herschel walker actual had faster track times than bo in college, and competed olympic two-man bobsled. in high school, walker won state in 100, 200 and shot put.

two guys, one year apart, who were once-in-a-generation athletes and had near identical size at 6'1" and ~225.

HA! Good Fun!

And both attended SEC schools. By the way Frank Thomas was also at Auburn right after Jackson graduated. He was a two sport athlete and likely would have been a 2nd or 3rd round NFL linebacker but choose baseball. He was also the same size and build as Walker and Jackson. Somewhere in the south there had to have been a factory where a group of engineers were tasked with designing the perfect athletes. The production run may have been limited but it was definitely memorable. 

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

Bo knows left field!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users