Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who will buy Day 1 or Pre-Purchase?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have a three patch rule, so that'll be a "no" for me... regardless of any price discount. My reasoning: there's a time cost for dealing with major bugs, which significantly increases the effective price of a game. Still, I'm definitely interested once it reaches the îlot de stabilité.

Edited by rjshae, 20 February 2019 - 12:09 PM.

• Keyrock likes this

Draxicus

Draxicus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts

Hell yeah! this is coming to my pc day one!

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts
Not me. All I know about it so far is that it has not-so-funny campy dialogue and looks like a generic shooter designed to compete with fallout for the purpose of competing with fallout (but don't be mean and talk bad about bethesda!)

And it's obsidian, so will definitely be buggy. Not a strong sell so far, and they aren't exactly making an effort to share info about the game despite announcing it in opposition to 76 (and to distract from the MS acquisition)

If they want to sell this one, they need to start giving reasons to buy it.

Edited by Voss, 22 February 2019 - 05:45 AM.

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not me. All I know about it so far is that it has not-so-funny campy dialogue and looks like a generic shooter designed to compete with fallout for the purpose of competing with fallout (but don't be mean and talk bad about bethesda!)

And it's obsidian, so will definitely be buggy. Not a strong sell so far, and they aren't exactly making an effort to share info about the game despite announcing it in opposition to 76 (and to distract from the MS acquisition)

If they want to sell this one, they need to start giving reasons to buy it.

Hmm, well humour is subjective so if you don't find it funny you don't find it funny I guess, but I don't really see how you could get 'campy' from what we've seen so far TBH. Looking like a generic shooter is kind of a weird thing to take from this; they've given enough information about things like dialogue and reactivity and the various science weapons that I think you'd have to be going out of your way to hate on them to call it a 'generic shooter'. I'm not sure where you got 'designed to compete with Fallout for the purpose of competing with Fallout' from. The setting is pretty different. (not post apocalyptic, not even set on Earth) And especially the 'for the purpose of competing with Fallout' part, they definitely haven't revealed any such purpose so my guess would be you've made that up yourself.

Obsidian may have gotten a reputation for buggy games because they had 3 games ten years or so ago which were buggy on release due to being pushed out the door too fast, but they've been much more stable more recently once they developed their own in house QA tools rather than let that fall to publishers. That being said, it is true that they generally develop relatively complex games, and when there's that many moving parts there are bound to be things that don't work, so it will probably have bugs, although not for the reason you state. It's also weird that you suggest they're 'not exactly making an effort to share info about the game' given the fact Game Informer has released something like an article every week giving more information on the game. Not sure what you mean about 'announcing it in opposition to 76 and to distract from the MS acquisition', it's been in development for like 2 years and is coming out this year, so this is about the right time to announce it.

I'm not sure why I bothered making all that effort to respond because you're obviously just intent on hating on the game and ascribing motivation to Obsidian that isn't there, but hey, you do you.

giphy.gif

Edited by Chairchucker, 22 February 2019 - 05:50 PM.

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Physical Collector Edition for me ! For sure !

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1615 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not sure what your platform of choice is, but on PC there are no plans for a physical release of TOW.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

giphy.gif

What a waifu! <3

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4782 posts

I will definitely buy it.

Lets hope that my computer is still good enough for this game.

It's out on consoles. You don't need a lot of PC power to match console performance unless it's horribly optimised or something. 

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not sure what your platform of choice is, but on PC there are no plans for a physical release of TOW.

Really ? I seem to have read the opposite about it?
It would be a shame not to release anything on PC ...

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The suggestion wasn't 'no release', it was 'no physical release', ie digital only.

daven

daven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 700 posts

I will give it 6 months. I have learned my lesson after Deadfire.

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 857 posts

Will buy it next year. Assuming it will turn out to be something more than a shooter.

• daven likes this

Voss

Voss

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts
@chairchucker - confused by your responses. Deadfire was a buggy mess on release. I even got a persistent bug were enemies became immortal rather than dying during my first playthrough. Bugsidian isn't a 10 year old legacy, its current reality.

Competing with fallout. Yes, the setting is different. But its the same style of game, and much the same style of camp. If you don't know why 'campy' is appropriate, there is a huge back catalog of B movies out in the world where both draw inspiration.

But more importantly, obsidian devs made a big deal recently about their fans not picking on Bethesda, when their own relationship (at least publicly) was solely recrimination based for not getting the metacritic rating bonus. The idea that they didn't announce this in the face of fallout76 knowing how their fan base would react (literally cries of 'salvation!') is ridiculous.

Generic shooter- from the footage, that seems entirely appropriate to me, silly 'science' weapons or not.

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The suggestion wasn't 'no release', it was 'no physical release', ie digital only.

When i said "anything on PC"... it's about Physical box.
Hope they'll change their way...

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

This one won't be a pre-order for me. 

It's likely I'll watch someone stream it a bit first and then buy it a few days or a week or two later - it mostly depends largely on when I think I'm actually going to truly play it. I dunno tho. I haven't been following the development outside of watching a few gameplay/interview vids, so I'm not super-excited/pumped. I'm only aware that this is a game I'm going to buy (at full price) and try at some point. :)

daven

daven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 700 posts

Hmmmmmm... a lot of you base your purchases on watching steams? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

I loved PoE I & II so I'm in on day 1. I'm likely only buying two games this year. OOTP 20 and this one. 

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hmmmmmm... a lot of you base your purchases on watching steams? I don't think I've ever seen one.

It's not the only thing I base game purchases on. But it doesn't hurt to watch someone play the first hour or two. I usually do that to judge whether I think the combat system/UI is something I'd like (or at least not dislike). I can't tell that based on review descriptions at all, outside of "1st person/3rd, turnbased or not" basics.

I'll be paying full price for the game, I'm just not sure I'll be in a hurry to play it on day 1 and I don't buy until I'm going to play. Depends what I'm doing at the time. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson, 27 February 2019 - 08:48 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

as much as i trust obsidian to make a good job on it, i never buy without first reading a few reviews from trusted sources

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1615 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's actually not a bad way of checking things out these days.  

Watching half an hour of a cold playthrough can tell you more about the game than many written reviews will.  Even if with a compensated "influencer", it's hard to gloss over gameplay issues or bugs when they're live demoing something in front a couple hundred viewers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users