Who will buy Day 1 or Pre-Purchase?

I don't want to buy on Microsoft (or console) because when it comes on Steam, I'd probably end up double-dipping - IF there's much of a mod scene, or simply because it looks/performs better. My impression is that games bought from MS are harder to mod or something - the way they do their installs is weird, I'm not clear on that but whatever. Now, if there isn't much of a modding thing for Outer Worlds, I probably wouldn't care toooo much. But I don't know what's going to happen, see.

I thought FFXV wasn't coming to PC for maybe a few or several years so I got wrapped up in buying PS4's, then it came out on PC/Steam 1.5 years later. Haven't touched the PS4 version since. While I don't really regret buying the PS4's, I'm not making that mistake again.

But no, I don't blame Obsidian per se. Nor am I angry about it. It's just business and business plans/patterns changes all the time. I don't have to agree or play along with the way business is, however.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'll buy it on release (only) because I want/need to support games I really want to play, in order to be able to play other games I want to play in the future, and TOW looks like one of them. 

Won't support early access BS, burnt a few times, now much too shy...

• 4 weeks later...

I'll buy it on release.  I've never (nor will ever) pre-order games though.

Okay, maybe that's not quite true since I did the whole Kickstarter donation thing for PoE.  But that's not quite the same thing.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

43 minutes ago, Starch said:

Since there is no steelbook I am going wait until Christmas

Yeah.  I'm beginning to wonder if the lack of a Collectors Edition or or similar merch might be related to TOW being available on Games Pass. 

It's possible that the decision was made that it's hard to justify creating and distributing a special-er $90 version of TOW when Microsoft is trying to entice players into picking up the monthly subscription and getting it part of the Games Pass library.

As we get closer to the release date I'm considering pre-ordering it. Not through Epic--no way will I reward them for their ****ty exclusives crap--but some other store, perhaps. It looks like such a great game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will wait to read reviews that I trust before buying. As long as I don't read that it is an unplayable mess, I will be getting it immediately. I loved the original fallout, I have enjoyed all the games Obsidian have made that I have played at or near release, so show stopping bugs are the only thing that would worry me and I am not expecting there will be any.   

• 3 weeks later...

I was pretty excited about TOW and 2077 and probably going to get Day 1 until learning they’re both FPS. I just don’t generally prefer that. Both games seem like they are better suited to 3rd to me. Game looks cool but no longer D1 for me. Probably get it someday on discount if it’s well received. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, daven said:

What if it comes out on Origin as well but not Steam?

Sounds like a lot of you are Steam fanboys. Not sure why, Steam is a piece of junk.

well if it comes out on origin i would had fuelled THAT WALLET instead since i started using origin before i went to steam. Also, i used to prefer buying from GoG until they started removing and censoring stuff for the SJW people. I returned to steam just because 2 reasons:

1.- Epic deserves to fail, or be nuked (i would love the nuclear option BTW)

2.- The "explore" and "ignore list" actually works

I had not seen a single fps anymore in new releases and if i want to see a game that i marked as "not interested" (in which Darq was listed long time ago) all i have to do is do one click to see all the results. Also Steam literally shows me stuff i am interested into like strategy games, simulators, echi stuff and fighting games while keeping away competitive FPS, VR stuff and minecraft/fortnite clones

• 2 weeks later...

I would have done if there had been a box version.
Without ... it will be in the Xbox Game Pass for me ... and I'm disgusted!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Would've pre-ordered on Steam but...

So I've gone back and forth on buying it on Microsoft or Epic. I tried the $1 game-pass for Microsoft and somehow ended up with a 1yr subscription (I checked my bank account and didn't see a charge for the subscription... shh, don't tell Microsoft)... so I use that until it's on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1 purchase for me.  I don't do the pre-order thing, so they don't get that from me.  But I generally buy Obsidian stuff on the first day it's released.  Outer Worlds will be no exception.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I used to see Steam as a necessary evil and although I do appreciate the ease of use it offers and some of its features (which literally took years to be implemented) I also use Battlenet, Origin, Uplay, Gog and now Epic. 

As long as it works and I can get the game I've paid for I don't really care, so far I haven't had any problem with Epic (and I've been playing Operencia, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and the Sinking City). 

The reason I started using Steam back in 2010 was to play Fallout New Vegas so I'm not going to skip Obsidian's new game just because it's not available there. 

• Like 1

As a PC gamer, I was getting ToW on Steam until EGS destroyed my freedom of choice.  Now looking to get it off Microsoft Store for PC. Just pre-ordered my PC copy on Windows store. Very happy to be getting a sweet double deal on release day since it's going to be free to play title list on XBX live  😍

On 10/10/2019 at 7:51 AM, gloomseeker said:

The reason I started using Steam back in 2010 was to play Fallout New Vegas so I'm not going to skip Obsidian's new game just because it's not available there. 

You are aware the only other PC source will be Windows Store right? Timmy Weenie's cancerous canoodling doesn't go that far. Especially given Microsoft's superior relation to Obsidian v. EGS

17 hours ago, VaultBoi2077 said:

You are aware the only other PC source will be Windows Store right? Timmy Weenie's cancerous canoodling doesn't go that far. Especially given Microsoft's superior relation to Obsidian v. EGS

My experience with the Windows Store has not been that good. The last time I tried it was incredibly cumbersome and not that user friendly (a bit like Windows itself now that I think about it, the way they mess you up or troll you with updates whenever you have something that needs to be done and can't wait). 

Anyway, it's good to hear that they are getting better as a service but if I have a choice I'd rather deal with the Epic store (works fine in my experience).

I'm just happy not to have to deal with the horror that was Games for Windows Live. 

• 3 weeks later...

Will you be getting it again when it comes out on Steam? I for one most certainly will.

Best deal is to pay M$ only $1 for the first month of the PC Beta pass. Beat TOW in 30 calendar days. Then cancel your PC pass subscription and wait for TOW release on Steam.

That way you only pay $1 USD to play TOW. LOL. That beats the cancer of EGS any day of the week IMO.

But if you're the type of PvE gamer who enjoys smelling the roses like me, then continue paying at $4.99 USD per month afterward for PC pass.  Waaaay cheaper than the XBX1 subscription at $9.99 USD IMO (besides I'm a PC gamer and only use XBX1 for console only titles like RDR). 

My guess is the most hardcore gamer fan boys will have TOW beat long before M$ PC pass intro subscription is up. LOL. Seems to be the cheapest and best resolution to not using EGS