Who will buy Day 1 or Pre-Purchase?

Nope. Not pre-ordering either. The exact opposite of pre-ordering actually. 

If it was on Steam or Gog, I would have to support the devs. Obviously they don't want my business, but that's ok. I've got a pretty big backlog to clear.

• Like 2

I refuse to pre-order games anymore due to exclusivity of sales. However I will purchase a full-price game at launch based on positive reviews.

However I won't be if this Epic Store exclusivity turns out to be true. I've chosen my preferred distribution platform, and I'm not going to spend coin on anti-customer behaviour.

• Like 2

I didn't realise there were so many imbeciles on this forum.

Meaning people not wanting to buy on Epic? I am using it, it works. I just like keeping my library in one place. I might be more willing to buy games from Epic once it stops feeling so basic. If I get a new PC by the time OW drops I will likely buy it, but as it is now, I might just wait.

I didn't realise there were so many imbeciles on this forum.

Meaning people not wanting to buy on Epic? I am using it, it works. I just like keeping my library in one place. I might be more willing to buy games from Epic once it stops feeling so basic. If I get a new PC by the time OW drops I will likely buy it, but as it is now, I might just wait.

The stupid things some people are saying. Announcing they are going to pirate a game, acting like babies throwing the toys out of the pram.

nowt

Will definitely wait for game to be released a while and go on sale. Especially for PC games it's just throwing yourself in a world of hurt having to wait for patches for game breaking bugs. The only game I bought full price on release in the last 10 years is Kingdom Hearts 3. And that is released on console. I may buy Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out because that looks to be groundbreaking and frikking awesome. Been waiting for that since I saw the first trailer in 2013. Everything else in the last few years I have played was nothing close to that statement. I have enjoyed certain games more than others, but to say there was something special that I would pay full price for? Nah.

You are a really rolling the dice if you buy this game Day 1 with Obs track record of buggy af releases. Heck the entire import system didnt work at ALL when Deadfire was released and there was a good chance the final boss didn't show up regardless of your choices.

Edited by Verde

I will but on Windows Store only.

If Epic finds a way to monopolize on that and completely shut out Windows store, then ToW publisher can kiss my $$$ goodbye for the next 365 days.

Because this is complete bull****.  I'm waiting an entire year before playing Metro. By then, we might get lucky and mods will be available for the game.

• Like 1

You are a really rolling the dice if you buy this game Day 1 with Obs track record of buggy af releases. Heck the entire import system didnt work at ALL when Deadfire was released and there was a good chance the final boss didn't show up regardless of your choices.

same doomsday policy could be made for 100% of Bethesda games and especially since Morrowind/Fallout 3 i.e. since Todd Howard took over running the show for these 2 franchises at Bethesda.

Don't get me started on the lying joke of a cesspool that is Fallout 76.

btw: New Vegas was a horrific bug fest because Bethesda refused to give Obsidian an extra year to polish the game and work out the bugs.

Edited by VaultBoi2077

• 4 weeks later...

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/109203-actions-have-consequences/

Should tell you all you need to know about that.

It tells me that you don't understand how developer/publisher relationships work, and haven't been following this game sufficiently to understand that Obsidian did not make this decision.

I fully understand what is at play. The cut people talk about is also stupid, since Tim Sweeney have already said 12% for them is not viable once they launch more features (if they do) It is also only the Publisher that benefit from this, not the developer and the big loser is you and me (the consumer)

If they wanted to release the game exclusive on my self made server platform (I can just attach a shop site) then I can give them 95% cut.. But you will not have any features or support, let alone refunds...

The whole cut talk is stupid as it is, since Epic is already letting some resellers that take 30% cut sell keys...... The cut might need to be handled different on changes might need to come, but anti consumer moves like exclusiveness on a known site that not just data mine without concent but also have no support or features for us (the consumer) is not a valid reason.. Besides if it was about the cut, they could just have moved to discord or humble or whatever... Plenty of other places have "lower cut" the thing at play here is obsidian talking a pile of cash in advanced and not caring about the exclusiveness..

I just don't want to see all these publishers that have gone exclusive cry about failed sales because piracy increase (trust me it will increase alot) because they started it themselves.. Customers want safety, features and a choice to buy where they want. (again this is not a pro steam debate) I would buy the game if it was on GoG or Obsidian had their own launcher, I just don't want to risk my sensetive information on Epic, nor do I want to support their exclusiveness trend.. If I wanted that I would buy a console.

If you fully understand what is at play, why are you on the developer's forums lecturing them on 'their current behaviour' and their 'action' when this decision had nothing to do with them?

I am not lecturing them. I am saying that actions have consequences. They will lose customers from this action. Go to any forum outside here and look (well even on here you see people voicing their opinion)

It is not only us the consumer, but also the developer/publisher that have to actually voice their opinion. If they sit back and do nothing they are to blame as well.

There are many ways to ensure that your product is published freely etc.

Oh and actively voicing displeasure at a publisher's decision ahead of the release of a game would be a very poor business move. You are severely out of touch with reality if, having all the facts at your disposal, you still find it in yourself to blame Obsidian for any aspect of this timed exclusivity.

• Like 1

If anyone at Obsidian was even aware of this as a possible thing that might happen, it was Feargus Urquhart, and he's not the most forthcoming boss. Just a week or so before the announcement Tim and Leonard were saying in interviews that they would be coming to Steam. The Steam store page was updated hours before the announcement, so it's probable that a lot of the people at Obsidian got wind of this the same way James Comey found out he was fired. I mean, it sucks they won't be on your favorite stores for a year, but Private Division wants to get every single dime they can out of this deal because they know The Outer Worlds and probably any DLC are the only time they'll even have access to this as a revenue stream.

If a crazy number of people avoid the game, just because it's on the Epic store and Microsoft store and they don't like those stores (or can't access the M$ store for whatever reason) then it could readily affect things that I don't think people would really be happy about if they thought it through. Fewer, less complex DLCs, and a reduced likelihood of a sequel don't really seem like what we all want out of this IP.

Microsoft has a crazy amount of money, as a publisher they've never really settled in to do things quite the way they seem to be handling InXile, NinjaTheory and Obsidian. It seems, to me without knowledge of behind the scenes info, like Microsoft may have embraced the idea of a more auteur theory based approach. In the past Microsoft acquired Bungie to make what was slated to be the first (or one of the first, not sure what the potential release schedule was vs Quake 3) multiplayer only PC FPS into a console exclusive. That said, when the companies parted ways 8 years later they did so in what seemed like an amicable manner, even if from what I gather they wouldn't continue to own their old IP.

My point is, if you're not happy with Epic's store activities, I'd say if you're really wanting to play the game, get it from Microsoft. How many sales would it take to be the top selling PC game ever from the Microsoft store? It can't be a million, it's probably like a couple hundred thousand, but I have no idea whether you'd want to count "Candy Crush Saga" as a game. I certainly wouldn't call it a PC game, just because AFAIK it exists across a variety of mobile platforms as well. It should be easy to make The Outer Worlds the highest selling game from a Microsoft owned company at any rate.

If you wait a year for the Steam release, barring some bizarre miracle, you'll barely be a blip on Microsoft's sales radar. If you want to do that, that's fine, but I'm not sure anything below hundreds of thousands of sales on Steam would even be a powerpoint slide presentation bullet point.

Edited by Clawdius_Talonious