Who will buy Day 1 or Pre-Purchase?

giphy.gif

What a waifu! <3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Physical Collector Edition for me ! For sure !

Not sure what your platform of choice is, but on PC there are no plans for a physical release of TOW.

Really ? I seem to have read the opposite about it?

It would be a shame not to release anything on PC ...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

@chairchucker - confused by your responses. Deadfire was a buggy mess on release. I even got a persistent bug were enemies became immortal rather than dying during my first playthrough. Bugsidian isn't a 10 year old legacy, its current reality.

Competing with fallout. Yes, the setting is different. But its the same style of game, and much the same style of camp. If you don't know why 'campy' is appropriate, there is a huge back catalog of B movies out in the world where both draw inspiration.

But more importantly, obsidian devs made a big deal recently about their fans not picking on Bethesda, when their own relationship (at least publicly) was solely recrimination based for not getting the metacritic rating bonus. The idea that they didn't announce this in the face of fallout76 knowing how their fan base would react (literally cries of 'salvation!') is ridiculous.

Generic shooter- from the footage, that seems entirely appropriate to me, silly 'science' weapons or not.

Really ? I seem to have read the opposite about it?

It would be a shame not to release anything on PC ...

The suggestion wasn't 'no release', it was 'no physical release', ie digital only.

When i said "anything on PC"... it's about Physical box.

Hope they'll change their way...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

This one won't be a pre-order for me. 

It's likely I'll watch someone stream it a bit first and then buy it a few days or a week or two later - it mostly depends largely on when I think I'm actually going to truly play it. I dunno tho. I haven't been following the development outside of watching a few gameplay/interview vids, so I'm not super-excited/pumped. I'm only aware that this is a game I'm going to buy (at full price) and try at some point. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I loved PoE I & II so I'm in on day 1. I'm likely only buying two games this year. OOTP 20 and this one. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmmmmmm... a lot of you base your purchases on watching steams? I don't think I've ever seen one.

It's not the only thing I base game purchases on. But it doesn't hurt to watch someone play the first hour or two. I usually do that to judge whether I think the combat system/UI is something I'd like (or at least not dislike). I can't tell that based on review descriptions at all, outside of "1st person/3rd, turnbased or not" basics.

I'll be paying full price for the game, I'm just not sure I'll be in a hurry to play it on day 1 and I don't buy until I'm going to play. Depends what I'm doing at the time. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

as much as i trust obsidian to make a good job on it, i never buy without first reading a few reviews from trusted sources

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Hmmmmmm... a lot of you base your purchases on watching steams? I don't think I've ever seen one.

It's actually not a bad way of checking things out these days.  

Watching half an hour of a cold playthrough can tell you more about the game than many written reviews will.  Even if with a compensated "influencer", it's hard to gloss over gameplay issues or bugs when they're live demoing something in front a couple hundred viewers.

I'll prepurchase so I can preload the game on Steam. I trust Tim and Leonard and the rest of the studio enough that I don't think they will ship a broken bad game. I have enough confidence that I'll enjoy the game that I don't need to rely on some gaming journalist to tell me what I'll think about an experience that is subjective.

I get the reasons why pre-purchasing is not a good idea and I agree with them.  But for this game, I'll probably pre-purchase purely so I can have it downloaded and ready to play as soon as the clock ticks over and it becomes available.

(Although, chances are that when it is released, I won't have time to play it for a while anyway.  I don't live the sort of life where I have the sort of free time that allows me to drop everything and play a new game straight away anymore.)

I'll prepurchase so I can preload the game on Steam. I trust Tim and Leonard and the rest of the studio enough that I don't think they will ship a broken bad game. I have enough confidence that I'll enjoy the game that I don't need to rely on some gaming journalist to tell me what I'll think about an experience that is subjective.

Then you're using reviews wrong.  The whole idea of art reviews is to find some reviewer (or preferably a group of reviewers) whose preferences broadly align with your own, because then you have a pretty recent chance of learning whether or not you'll also like it.

It's also good to read some opposing reviews, just to open yourself up to different opinions.  Often you'll find some valid criticisms in there - or criticisms that you disagree with adamantly, and reading them actually deepens your appreciation of what you like about the game.

(This is why a lot of critics hate review aggregators like Metacritic and Rottentomatoes: because they reduce a bunch of subjective opinions to a seemingly objective number.  But your favourite game might only have a 30 Metacritic score, and you'd be better off just reading reviews from the critics who liked the game, whose interests align with yours, because the critics who hated the game don't care about the things you care about.)

• Like 1

I don't often find reviews that useful and especially now it's all focused on review scores and aggregates. A lot of great games end up in the 80 range because usually they are going to have issues and that bumps them down. Then you get a lot of not so good games that also end up in the 80 range or close to it because a 7/10 means average to a lot of people these days and anything lower is considered bad.

Critics also have their biases of course and you can get trends of hating on a certian thing or praising it more than it deserves, critics are not immune to these at all.

Read reviews from reviewers you trust, look at what the consensus is on social media. Try to avoid politically motivated criticism (unless you agree with the political motivation I guess but even then I'd be wary), watch let's plays if they aren't too spoily, ask friends.

Then you'll have a small chance of not wasting your money. ;)

I don't often find reviews that useful and especially now it's all focused on review scores and aggregates. A lot of great games end up in the 80 range because usually they are going to have issues and that bumps them down. Then you get a lot of not so good games that also end up in the 80 range or close to it because a 7/10 means average to a lot of people these days and anything lower is considered bad.

Critics also have their biases of course and you can get trends of hating on a certian thing or praising it more than it deserves, critics are not immune to these at all.

Read reviews from reviewers you trust, look at what the consensus is on social media. Try to avoid politically motivated criticism (unless you agree with the political motivation I guess but even then I'd be wary), watch let's plays if they aren't too spoily, ask friends.

Then you'll have a small chance of not wasting your money. ;)

I think the reviews on RPGCodex are pretty good, very in depth and no scores out of ten in sight. But they tend to release a review about 6 months after the game is out soo... yeah. Depends how long you're willing to wait.

• Like 1

nowt

• 3 weeks later...

I will not buy it at all.

It isn't my genre anyway, but I was willing to buy it just to support Obsidian and give it a shot - because why not?

Now they gave me a reason why not. ;)

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods