Challenge Run - Unlocked Possibilities

Had an idea for a challenge run that I thought sounded fun enough to do. Figured I'd share it here, for others who might like it... Also because I expect there will be amusing moments throughout such a run, and I wanted a thread for people to throw such amusing moments in.

The idea is simple. Take the Berath's Blessing for 50K Gold. Take the World Map Unlock. As soon as you leave Port Maje, hunt down Captain Thaenic and the Deck of Many Things. Purchase the Deck of Unlocked Possibilites and the Necklace of Unlocked Possibilites.

The Watcher MUST wear those two items for the rest of the game, and MUST use the Deck at the beginning of every combat, no matter what.

You CANNOT reload a fight simply because you got a bad roll on either the Deck or the Necklace.

You MUST have your Watcher be using weapon attacks.

You MUST have your Watcher be using the weapons FROM the Necklace. No going Monk and just weapon swapping.

Is it super difficult and challenging? Not terribly so, no. Is it interesting? Yes. The challenge is in figuring out a build that can use any weapon that comes from the Necklace, and withstand any negative that comes from the Deck. Since you can't reliably use any of the weapon style passives, or use a shield at all, many subclasses and styles are removed. Since you aren't purely melee or ranged, that too denies many things from being fully useful. Since you cannot simply ignore the weapon and be a caster, that denies many of the remaining options.

So what then, do you choose to go with?

I'm still plotting my own run (And am a smidge busy for now), but I'm thinking Paladin, for Resistance to the afflictions that can come out of the deck. Anyone got another idea? Maybe a multiclass suggestion, or some subclass idea I'm not thinking of?

I dont mean to be that guy, yes i do, but this is simply using items in the game. I mean you might as well make a challenge were you must use seraphin as a wild cipher. Same thing really.

So.... Do that? The 'challenge' is that you don't have a real amulet, don't know what weapon you'll have, don't know if the weapon will be any good because some of them ARE garbage, AND your first action in every fight is lost to gain either a buff you won't care about, a debuff, or possibly a buff you can make use of. That's 2-3 gear slots and precious time lost, because of how you're choosing to use items in the game. It's not meaningless.

Besides which, the point is, as stated, less about the difficulty of the run and more about building a character that can work under these restrictions and still contribute significantly. I did also specifically state that it wasn't terribly challenging, just interesting.

So instead of being 'that guy', the pedant... You instead managed to be 'that guy', that tries to call someone out on something they already made clear they were aware of and doing intentionally. Nice job? Is that what you were going for? It didn't seem to be.

• Thanks 1

Wasnt commenting on the difficulty at all.

I was refering to the claim its interesting and worth sharing. It isnt that interesting when you make a challenge out of items and then use them... you didnt even come up with changes to normal rules. Its just simply find and use these fun items during a play through. Plus, dont take my word for it; this threads almost a week old and its just me and you here slinging mud.

If people don't find it interesting, that's up to them. Your judgement, however, seems rather suspect on the matter. As for changes to the normal rules... Do YOU actually use these things in a normal playthrough? Because these items are insanely RNG, cause artificial build constraints, and really aren't all that good.... So unless it's standard practice for you to use these things in your runs, then yeah, it IS a change to the normal rules.