Color Palette and saturation

Most likely not.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

This is the artistic direction of the title, what the designers want to propose .... it certainly makes sense in the world of the game and its purpose.

Now, if you want to change that, you can easily do it with ReShade for example, even if I think that in 99% of cases it completely distorts the original work.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

It is meant to be a Borderlands clone, so bright colors is part of the character. Far Cry New Dawn has a color saturation slider though :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

It is meant to be a Borderlands clone, so bright colors is part of the character. Far Cry New Dawn has a color saturation slider though :)

The art style is completely different from Borderlands. It's basically Fallout with immense oversaturation.
Interesting.

I didn't say anything about the art style but in terms of color pallet and concept I'd say a good mix of Fallout and Borderlands equally, easy.

Cell Shading != Playdoh Palette

Nice Troll Though

Uhhh? When did I say cel-shading was bad? But sure, I'm the troll ;)

The color pallette is the similar but The Outer Worlds is far from cel-shading. Doesn't mean the colors are bad or can't be similar in flavor. Now I guess forum logic says things can't be similar based on different art styles hehe

There's no need for anyone to take offense for someone pointing that out. To be clear I wasn't talking about the spraycan look either but more of color tone. We've already seen some of the spraycan stuff which is generically used in more modern post-apocalyptic games.

Edited by SonicMage117

The art style is completely different from Borderlands. It's basically Fallout with immense oversaturation.
Interesting.

I didn't say anything about the art style but in terms of color pallet and concept I'd say a good mix of Fallout and Borderlands equally, easy.

I know you didn't. You said borderlands "clone". Now if you want us to actually understand what you're trying to say, maybe be a bit more specific. The only thing I see similar between this game and Borderlands so far is the color palette. With an art style that doesn't match the color palette I feel it's out of place.

I didn't think I would have to be that much more specific on a topic titled "Color palette and saturation" lol It would be weird if I was talking about the game as a whole out of the blue.

Edited by SonicMage117

I didn't think I would have to be that much more specific on a topic titled "Color palette and saturation" lol It would be weird if I was talking about the game as a whole out of the blue.

Sure, try to talk your way out. I guess on your planet cloning only includes getting the color "right".

• Like 1

Sure, try to talk your way out. I guess on your planet cloning only includes getting the color "right".
I guess clone can only be used for generalizing as a whole now by forum logic.

Perhaps it would've been worthwhile using more precise language than simply calling it a 'clone' since that means an exact copy, and it seems that wasn't quite what you were going for. If you meant one thing, but multiple people interpreted what you said another way, that's a clue that you need to better communicate your intent.

Maybe guess again. So far forum logic only said that "clone" doesn't mean using the same color palette.

Definition of clone:
clone
NOUN
[...]
1.1 A person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another.

Interesting that you don't see your contributions as part of forum logic although you are an active part of the forums.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe guess again. So far forum logic only said that "clone" doesn't mean using the same color palette.

Definition of clone:

clone

NOUN

[...]

1.1 A person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another.

Interesting that you don't see your contributions as part of forum logic although you are an active part of the forums.

Okay.

It wasn't really meant in a literal fashion.

Bro we barely have footage of the thing and you know what the entire forty hour experience will look like?

We have plenty of footage and info already. I'm not the only one reminded of Borderlands more than Fallout when seeing it. Edited by SonicMage117

• 2 weeks later...

It's a really interesting point you are making and people do not think about the colors enough in game...

It used to be you could always use a brightness filter at least int he beginning so games would let you defin it a bit... I hope that is here also...

Something beyond that that incorporates more could be really interseting and novel though IMO. 

It's a very poor design decision. Both in terms of the bright neon art style meshing well with the games themes, and in terms of the clearly stupid idea that imitating fortnite will somehow broaden their market for this type of game.

They would have been better of doing some different and interesting, and letting that sell it.

It's a very poor design decision. Both in terms of the bright neon art style meshing well with the games themes, and in terms of the clearly stupid idea that imitating fortnite will somehow broaden their market for this type of game.

They would have been better of doing some different and interesting, and letting that sell it.

Pretty hilarious that you think Fortnite was the major influence here.

Listen up! The design expert is talking.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

My monitor has color, saturation, contrast, brightness, hue, red/green/blue etc. settings.

Nvidia control panel allows you to make some changes.

My TV has all of that plus several "modes" that alter look.

Surely one can at least tone down the saturation aspect somewhat, one way or another, if one doesn't like it?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My monitor has color, saturation, contrast, brightness, hue, red/green/blue etc. settings.

Nvidia control panel allows you to make some changes.

My TV has all of that plus several "modes" that alter look.

Surely one can at least tone down the saturation aspect somewhat, one way or another, if one doesn't like it?

As a last resort that could be used, but then I would rather have these settings in the game itself so I don't have to bother with them outside the game or even having to change them between games.

My guy you think impressionistic neon lighting as an art style was pioneered by Fortnite? Have you seen any major Science Fiction film since color movies became a thing? This type of lighting is a ostensibly a cliche at this point.

Edited by Big-Ben
  • Like 3

Yes! We have no bananas.