Any Food/Water/Sleep need system in TOW?

I doubt it will have that depth of apocalyptic survivalism.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Dear God, I hope they don't include this in the game, or it's something you can disable in options. The last thing I want is survival game tedium shoehorned into my story-driven RPG.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm not even sure how a survival mode would thematically fit with what we've been shown so far.  Sure, it's a dystopia, but food scarcity doesn't seem to among the chief issues, and you never seem too far away from your ship or a local saloon.

It feels like a safe assumption that if your spacer can afford to hop from planet to planet, they also have the means to keep the ship's freezer fully-stocked with burritos and pizza.

• Like 4

The original Fallout and PoE had some elements of this, but it wasn't that important, so the devs aren't adverse to this. Doesn't seem to be that sort of game. It's been boring for me, I don't care for cooking/eating/drinking/repairing/humping, I enjoy all those things in real-life, they're visceral experiences that games don't really tap into (someday VR sex organs, someday). I don't get to wield an energy scythe and wreck some **** in real-life, or lie my way through security. I think Tim and Leonard get choice in gameplay more than any other devs, and that's the focus of the game. I think Josh was more of a survival guy.

• Like 1

It would be foolish not to have a survival mode put in place somewhere but so far the members are right. It's going to be a casual Fallout experience and more streamlined some new features.

A survival mode would be better than the typical New Game+

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

so far the members are right. It's going to be a casual Fallout experience and more streamlined

How do you know?
We know because of the gameplay shown for the latest and greatest beta build. It is not so hard to find now also, coupled with the new info from trusted sources like GameInformer who are advertizing the game. It's not a bad thing, it just is simplified Fallout in terms of some things here and there but there are a few new mechanics added as well.
  • Like 1

It aready more or less explained here...

So it definitely won't be a Fallout killer or replace Fallout in the Post-Apocalyptic community as people expected but rather be it's own thing. That's probably why Obsidian said they hate when their fans compare The Outer Worlds to Fallout or genrally bashes Bethesda and Fallout 76.

They didn't say that you shouldn't compare it. They also didn't say that they hate it.

What they said is that they didn't make games to mock other games. And that they "don't want to foster" that kind of behavior.

Most likely because it is a morally low thing to do  - not because their game is its own thing. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Here is what I was referring to, if you haven't already seen it:

Hmmm, the way you're describing what we can expect from Outer Worlds almost seems to paint it as a lesser, more shallow experience, and that's not what I've taken from what we've heard so far. Most notably, I saw them talk about reactivity, which has given me hope for an experience akin to Alpha Protocol. I don't think it will be a 'casual Fallout experience' at all.

Hmmm, the way you're describing what we can expect from Outer Worlds almost seems to paint it as a lesser, more shallow experience, and that's not what I've taken from what we've heard so far. Most notably, I saw them talk about reactivity, which has given me hope for an experience akin to Alpha Protocol. I don't think it will be a 'casual Fallout experience' at all.

It will be a casual Fallout experience in terms of gunplay mechanics,( that way Obsidian will use the momentum gained in The Game Awards), but narratively a it will be focused on reactivity and replayability.

Simpler doesn't by any means mean inferior, I doubt that it will be as expansive as Fallout 4 in loot, it will probably be lesser in gunplay and likely feel lakcking in overall features of people are expecting it to be like Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 and that basically comes down to better wtitten story that is more focused and set apart. Sometimes less is more and this is when I point to 8 hour rpg's like Transistor or whatnot and put them up to 200 rpg's that are so revered.

I'd rather have the more focused rpg without the bells and whistles, Idk how that ever became the bad thing. And I don't think I'm assuming to say The Outer Worlds is streamlined and casualized compared to Fallout 3, 4 or New Vegas. Everyone who has played the late Beta has said the same thing but I never saw it as a negative, I just saw it as a game without the bloat and focused more on console gamers than pc from the sounds of the features.

I'm hopeful it won't press me into being the good guy like Fallout 4 did. You know the "Play the base game for the good guy story, okay the dlc for the bad guy story" lol It almost sounds good cop, bad cop

• Like 1

Dear God, I hope they don't include this in the game, or it's something you can disable in options. The last thing I want is survival game tedium shoehorned into my story-driven RPG.

Right. I didn't make this clear. It's a purely optional choice which can be toggled on /off from the main menu.

I'm not into hardcore survivalist games the likes of Ark/Rust etc. But I crave realism in some form to make the game play more emergent and immersive. So the system would work similar to how Chesko's amazing Frostfall/Campfire but as a space themed version of that. If disabled, you would play the game as is.

But if enabled, your character would need to eat at least once a day. Say one good solid meal that would give them temp buffs for combat/exposure to environment. Buying food from Auntie Cleo's brand products for example, would be 100% fulfilling v. buying any of the other cheaper corp brands (at a lesser percentage like 75%). Or you could eat several small meals a day when you're inside the civilized/city areas. Like being able to drop into shops to grab a bite to eat (much the way you did with that Diamond City noodles vendor. Basically eat whenever you want. But being a glutton would have temp adverse effects on combat buffs etc.

If you're out on the non populated alien planets with hostile flora/fauna, have the ability to cook and eat while adventuring on the road. The same way in which NV/FO4 worked. Be able to setup camp with your companions or alone. Go to sleep to  

1. save game and/or exit and/or

2. start a campfire to cook and eat whatever flora/fauna your PC hunted earlier and/or

3. make a change of clothing that would give you different buffs (the way they have in Fallout & NV)  and/or

4.  relax/hangout and get to know your companions better (the way you can in Metro Exodus) and/or

5.  relax/hangout read etc. if alone and/or

6. just go to sleep to recharge your PC batteries. Much the way sleeping in F76 allows you to rapidly replenish your PC health bar

Then once these are accomplished, simply pack up your camp the way Chesko's Frostfall/Campfire mod works.  And continue adventuring on your way.

Again none of this would be mandatory. And it would add emergent game play for RP/immersive purposes.

Edited by VaultBoi2077

I'm not even sure how a survival mode would thematically fit with what we've been shown so far.  Sure, it's a dystopia, but food scarcity doesn't seem to among the chief issues, and you never seem too far away from your ship or a local saloon.

It feels like a safe assumption that if your spacer can afford to hop from planet to planet, they also have the means to keep the ship's freezer fully-stocked with burritos and pizza.

Yes. That would be part of the whole Frostfall/Campfire space theme. Stock your backpack with some food for a good journey away from where you've landed your ship. It's not clear if the terrain on the failed terraformed worlds is suitable for landing your ship everywhere. Odds are this is not the norm. So journeying away from your ship a good distance would require some sort of camp setup while en route to your mission/objective. Also encountering the wildlife on the non populated planets could lead to you or your companions being gravely injured. In some cases, they can die if you opt for the highest degree of difficulty in the game. So a camping feature where you can stop and heal your companions and/or your PC could be necessary.

We also don't know how the space environment will work outside of the civilized areas. Whether all the planets will have oxygen/breatheable areas. Or of parts of the planets will be completely inhospitable and require the use of a space suit/body armor etc.  They did indicate there were several variants of body suits/armor in the game from a concept drawing. So not unreasonable to think your PC may need to wear a space suit in some areas of these planets.

In one of the last previews for the game, your PC and 2 companions were being attacked by those gecko like lizard creatures. The female companion was badly injured and fell to the ground. Both male and female companions were not wearing space suits or any special outer gear. So this suggested the world they were on was environmentally hospitable and earth like. But we don't know if this could change when the game's difficulty rating increases. 

Also the injured female companion could've been close to death if playing on the highest difficulty/based on the conditions you select by the perk system. Without a camp feature, there may be limited options for your PC to rest and heal their companions. Without a camp like feature, if your PC lacks say a "stimpack" or some sort of health aid to revive their unconscious companions (and/or themselves), then this could result in a failure state. Where the companion/PC dies. Or the PC has to return to the ship to get the necessary health supplies to revive their fallen companions. etc.

I don't mind a camping/rest system as a heal overnight method or various food/stimpacks/poison nullfiers whatever for lots of different in-combat try-not-to-die healing item options, that's what I would consider normal. But I don't want the game to be an actual survival game where the more often I swing a stick the hungrier I become and I have to think about hunger meters, constantly eating 12 charred pig-on-a-sticks and 15 coconuts a day. How are chrs. not super fat in most "survival" games. :biggrin:

It's fine to have more of a survival aspect be a separate "hard mode" toggable option tho, like in FO:NV. I might even play around with such on a 2nd playthru. I just mean I don't want it to be the default system of the game.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They should incorporate weapon / armor degradation and repair too. :yes:

As long as I don't have to run to the shop every 30 minutes or spend a long time stuck in some animated blacksmith sequence over and over to repair, I'm cool with that.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts