GameInformer: Combat Gameplay And Details For The Outer Worlds

We must keep a little surprise! I do not want to see everything before the release ...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

• 2 weeks later...

Combat looks mechanically just as boring as they say they don't wish it to be.

A normal shooter based on HP attrition with a slow-mo gimmick to pick your head/weakspot shots (when using a controller... I suspect with a mouse and kb the whole feature is just as useful as VATS was in Fallout 4, which is to say very little at best).

Don't know about how combat skills work, though. I'd bet on % or flat inceremts on damage, but... we'll see.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Combat looks mechanically just as boring as they say they don't wish it to be.

A normal shooter based on HP attrition with a slow-mo gimmick to pick your head/weakspot shots (when using a controller... I suspect with a mouse and kb the whole feature is just as useful as VATS was in Fallout 4, which is to say very little at best).

Don't know about how combat skills work, though. I'd bet on % or flat inceremts on damage, but... we'll see.

I'm not so sure. TTD looks like the only way to apply debuffs to enemies. I could be wrong and it might just be more obvious with the TTD HUD. I also assume that you can issue commands to your followers using this system, like you could in Mass Effect.

The news from the devs that the game can be completed without fighting anyone intrigues me and makes me wonder if I might enjoy this game after all. My utter dislike for the first-person view is very largely about FPS combat. So if combat can largely be avoided, then maybe first-person won't be so bad.

What does the game offer outside of combat, though? Granted there is some campy dialogue to listen to, but outside of that, you...shoot people or...?

Is there a gameplay loop other than combat?

Edited by Voss

What does the game offer outside of combat, though? Granted there is some campy dialogue to listen to, but outside of that, you...shoot people or...?

Dialogue isn't necessarily just to listen to, it can be a gameplay loop of its own. Planescape: Torment is the egregious example.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dialogue isn't necessarily just to listen to, it can be a gameplay loop of its own. Planescape: Torment is the egregious example.

Debatable, but irrelevant. The most common point in advertising for this game is how short it is. No reason to expect a PST level of text. (Though I'd argue most of that is infodumps, exposition, and sophomoric attempts at philosophy, not gameplay)

• 2 weeks later...

REading the preview someone posted here earlier (which I'm worried about necroing I guess so it's still there)

Everything is on the can't wait to play it levels of excitement and energy!

However...

VATS? That's the only thing that jumped out... I'm not sure VATS is s asystem I'd want from Fallout 3 to make it's way here... that's all.