Need some help with my party for turn based playthrough

I started a new playthrough to try out turn based mode.  Veteran difficulty, all upscaling.  I could use some help deciding who to take as companions and developing the builds.   

I do like suggestions on gear for each build as well but I do not want a build that is all about getting a specific weapon or gear combo to "make the build work."  I have too much fun trying out new weapons and armor when I find them to stick with one fixed weapon which is why I couldn't bring myself to take Devoted :)

I'm kinda torn between sticking with what I know works and trying something new.  For example, Pallegina is crazy good as a Crusader but I keep hearing Herald is fantastic too.  I've never had much luck getting Chanter to work well but I would maybe like to give it a try.  Same for Tekehu, he was awesome as pure Druid but is Theurge good for him?  Do I want two Chanter multiclasses?  Cipher is another class I haven't loved in the past but I'm tempted to give another try if I get a good build.  

I have only played through Port Maje so far but I'm finding spellcasting much more frustrating in turn based.  Targets tend to move or die before spell is actually cast.  

Here are my thoughts and questions, any suggestions are appreciated... 

Watcher: Battlemage (no subclasses)

- Can't decide between Dual Wield (maybe Modwyr & Duskfall) or Two Handed (WotEP or Spirit Lance maybe).

Tekehu: ?

- Can't decide on class combo.  I like him as pure druid for awesome Foe only AOE and healing but wondering if I should give Theurge a try?  His subclass can't summon, how bad is that?

Pallegina: ?

- I want her to be a sort of tank / support / passive healing.  I was thinking either 2-Handed (Twinned Eel maybe) or sword and shield (I know Lethandria's Devotion is good) but I think she is pretty tough even without a shield so maybe 2-h would be more damage?  I know Crusader is awesome for this role but should I try Herald?  I know I would miss Armored Grace and the good Fighter passives but I don't really know if Chanter has equally good stuff to offer this build?

Maia: Scout

- I made her a Geomancer last time and didn't like it so I'd like to try Scout for a ranged DPS build.  What type of gun is best for her?  Any specific gear I should look for?

Other - I will likely rotate the last spot in and out for companion quests but would love suggestions on who might best round out this group.  Especially any good sidekicks since I haven't really used them much.  Ydwin or Rekke maybe?  I used Fassina as a Sorcerer in my first playthrough and she was amazing.  Great support class with plenty of healing from druid side and great damage from wizard side but I don't think I need her with Tekehu already serving basically the same role.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by GamerSerg

You're main is entirely up to you. Sounds like ok choices either way to me. 

Tekehu as pure druid is great because of the lack of summons and like you said the aoe. Take his shark mode out of the ai so he never transforms without you wanting it. He has a habit of transforming and committing hari kari in real time. I like to keep him with the rod. It is a solid dps choice and keeps him in the back.

Pallegina I prefer as dual class. You get 2 sources of passive heals and she has a valuable source of summons since Tekehu can't. Do you have a mod that allows more classes on her??

You don't have another set up for full tank above so that is what I recommend. Get her in gear that provides the best armor and number of engaged enemies. Use items that increase the amount she heals to help keep her up without using her turn on lay on hands. Aim for weapons that have an on hit aoe to make the most of engaging multiple enemies.

Maia I like best as pure ranger. Get her Acina's Tricorn. And leave her in the armor provided. The faster you get to driving flight with slow shooting arquebus the better. The gun received from her quest line is good or get Spearcaster and bump Arcana. Either way bump arcana. It's a good choice here.

With this set up you have 2 squishy ranged so I'd aim for another off tank or melee dps. Pure barbarian is a good choice. You have multiple choices here. Konstanten, Rekke, and Serafen.  If you have the dlc I'd go Konstanten. He has the best stat distribution and a nice buff. There are some choices to consider for weapons here. Two weapon will net you the highest dps. If you prefer con debuffs so druid spells hit you want morningstar. You could consider a reach weapon here to allow him to stand behind Pallegina and still hit.. In my opinion the best option is give him 2 weapon with flail as at least one of them. The modal will steal some dex which will be valuable for both casters. There are lots of good choices for the second weapon, but leave room for both a pierce and slash weapon for the blunt immunes.

Edited by djinnxy

So Ranger is better than Scout for Maia as ranged DPS? I was thinking Sneak Attack and some of the Rogue skills looked good but Driving flight is nice too. Is Arquebus preferred for any reason?

As much as I love Crusader, and I will miss Armored Grace and Constant Recovery, I think I will give Herald a try for Pallegina. 1H with Shield is probably best although I kinda like the idea of 2H for her.

I will stick with Tekehu as pure Druid and I also like the idea of pure Barbarian dual wielding. I think I will go with Serefan though because I haven’t really used him in my previous games and I’d like to see what he has to say.

What type of weapons for the Battlemage? I’m leaning toward 2H, especially if nobody else in the party is going that route and it leaves the door open for Spirit Lance if I want to use it unless dual wield would be obviously better?

Initially scout would be better. By the mid to late levels ranger pulls away. It really depends on what you want to focus on. If you aren't worried about the dlc then scout is just fine. If you do want to do all the dlc take every late game advantage you can.

Really pellagina would work as crusader as well. I usually like the dual passive aoe heal and the summons, but they aren't absolutely necessary with Tekehu as druid for heals. It would be my choice, no reason I can tell you crusader should not be yours.

Serafen has some pretty good dialogue if you aren't terribly squeamish. 

2h is probably a good choice for battlemage. That saves you points/gives you +15% damage if you want to use the summon weapons.

What you do lack depending on what you take for subclasses on your main (and besides Pellagina as /chanter) is resource regeneration on your remaining characters. 98% + of the game it doesn't matter. If you do the mega bosses you will be resource starved. Most other content should be no prob.

Edited by djinnxy

This will be a full playthrough (all DLC and as many Mega Bosses as I can beat)

What would be a good way to get resource regeneration?  Should I replace someone with Ydwin as pure Cipher?

Here is the team so far....

Watcher: Battlemage (no subclasses) - 2H Weapons

- Skills: Athletics / Insight & History

Miaia: Ranger (Gunhawk) - Arquebus

- Skills: Stealth / Survival

Serefan: Barbarian (no sub) - Dual Wield

- Skills: Athletics / Streetwise & Bluff

Tekehu: Druid (Watershaper) - Two Handed (Rod, War Bow or Arbalest)

- Skills: Arcana / Religion

Pallegina: Herald (Fremas mes Canc Suolias) - Sword & Shield 

- Skills: Athletics / Intimidate & Metaphysics

Edited by GamerSerg

What would be a good way to get resource regeneration?  Should I replace someone with Ydwin as pure Cipher?

I would keep Ydwin in the stable, prepared for fights that you may need her for at the least.

Edited by djinnxy

After the 

This will be a full playthrough (all DLC and as many Mega Bosses as I can beat)

Here is the team so far....

Watcher: Battlemage (no subclasses) - 2H Weapons

- Skills: Athletics / Insight & History

Miaia: Ranger (Gunhawk) - Arquebus

- Skills: Stealth / Survival

Serefan: Barbarian (no sub) - Dual Wield

- Skills: Athletics / Streetwise & Bluff

Tekehu: Druid (Watershaper) - Two Handed (Rod, War Bow or Arbalest)

- Skills: Arcana / Religion

Pallegina: Herald (Fremas mes Canc Suolias) - Sword & Shield 

- Skills: Athletics / Intimidate & Metaphysics

You really won't need resource regeneration after a few levels. Empowering characters will give you enough resources to finish battles. I like your proposed setup

For reference, I'm running an unoptimized party in POTD- Empower on all characters will tide you through the combats.