I've obtained all four unique blunderblusses but i have no clue which ones are optimized for my build(Streetfighter/Helswalker).

It seems i can divide em into two categories such as

Single target - Xefa, Kitchen stove

Multi target- Hand mortar, Fire in the hole

Do i have to equip as weapon set 1(single) set 2(multi) and keep switching throughout the battle?

Any words would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've obtained all four unique blunderblusses but i have no clue which ones are optimized for my build(Streetfighter/Helswalker).

It seems i can divide em into two categories such as

Single target - Xefa, Kitchen stove

Multi target- Hand mortar, Fire in the hole

Do i have to equip as weapon set 1(single) set 2(multi) and keep switching throughout the battle?

Any words would be appreciated. Thanks.

xefa and kitchen stove have multiple targets too. each attack actually fires 4 bullets so blunderbuss is really good for mobs too. 

What do you mean?

Kitchen Stove and Xefa's Empirical Expication don't have multiple "targets". Unless you mean through Powder Burns which suffers from very low PEN and usually doesn't penetrate. Or Thunderous Report or Wild Barrage. The one is 1/encounter and the second per rest.

What they have is multiple projectiles which all hit the same target. So they are not that good against mobs except for Thunderous Report which is nice to have as opener, but not that important for a Streetfighter/Helwalker.

Since Helwalkers have access to +10 INT which affects all your AoE effects significantly I would use Hand Mortar and Fire in the Hole mostly. Currently the AoE is bugged so that it doesn't apply afflictions like Arterial Strike or Toxic Strike or Stunning Surge - but shouold get fixed pretty soon. Mortars also have the advantage that they target reflex and have two damage types (while Kitchen Stove and Xefa's only have pierce - except the lash). You can switch to the "normal" blunderbusses as soon as only few enemies are left over.

So basically do this: keep mortars in one weapon slot and use them against mobs and use the other two against single targets.

Enchantment tipps:

Hand Mortar should be enchanted with Blinding Smoke(! NOT Point Blank). First of all that unlocks Deathblows directly and secondly it counts as hit for Avenging Storm(! and maybe even Confounding Blind, Combusting Wounds and Death of Thousand Cuts, but didn't test those three). That means with Heaven's Cacophony(!) + Hand Mortar + Fire in the Hole you will produce a TON of lightnings that rain on your enemies. That's because every AoE hit has the chance to lauch a Blinding Smoke which it self is an AoE cone. You will produce hundrets of attack rolls per shot which will all trigger Avenging Storm (I know why I play a single class Fury with mortars atm ;)). Put it into the main hand so that it shoots forst with Full Attacks, applying Distraction so that the following attack rolls will all have Deathblows.

Fire in the Hole should be enchanted with Chain Shot. This will produce two AoE attacks instead of one. He second one will have weaker dmg, but it triggers Avenging Storm and other effects like Toxic Strike, FInishing Blow (once AoE gets fixed - Finishing Blow still works in AoE though). Put it into your offhand.

Kitchen Stove you can enchant with Wild Barrage or Thunderous report (what you like better) and Frantic Reload. Anything and Everything is also nice, but here comes the trick: put it into your offhand, NOT the main hand(!). Then see down below why.

Xefa's you can enchant with Inexpicable Mass or Jagged Load (I like Jagged Load better but ut depends, the first one is also nice but Rogues do interrut on hit with most abilites anyway). Then enchant it with Full Choke. The ACC malus is a bit stupid but you gain longer range which can be important for such a squishy char as Streetfighter/Helwalker.

Put it into the main hand(!).

Now what this setup does with Full Attacks: It gives you a longer range because the range of your Full Attack is determined by your man hand weapon. The second weapon will simply use the linger range as well when doing a Full Attack. It also gives you a shorter reload because the reload time is only taken from the offhand weapon (and here we have Frantic Reload). So all in all you have +50% longer range and -25% reload speed with Ful Attacks just because we put the weapons into the right hands.

Another tip:

Use Flagellant's Path. It skips reload entirely and uses its own recovery which is shorter than reload. With Streetfighter's passive it usually means it's superfast. You can spam AoE shots without reload like crazy. 

Use Stunning Surge: Which that many hits (mortars=AoE hits + jumps or blunderbusses = multiple hits) a refund is very likely. THat way you can do a lot of Full Attacks without running out of Mortification.

Use Dance of Death: it immediately gives you +1 Wound and +3 ACC. After 9 secs you are already at +12 ACC(!)

You can think about NOT using Turning Wheel (because the lash doesn't apply to ranged weapons anymore) and use Iron Wheel. The higher CON and AR are useful as well because you have to get close with blunderbusses in general and you will be disoriented all the time and get amplified damage from Helwalker's passive. At the same time pick Enlightened Clarity to get the smart inspiration. This will give you +5 INT (compared to +10 from Turning Wheel with 10 Wounds) but it's independent from Wounds. YOu gain up to +10 CON and +2.5 AR and +5 INT. Or you don't pick Turning Wheel and Iron Wheel, spare the ability point and use it for something else and use the +10 INT mostly. Also good. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Blunderbusses are kind of hilariously OP. I feel like they just break the game with so many different builds (heart of fury, whispers of the wind, resonance, avenging storm, etc). When I realized it, I used monk xoti to tear a new hole through some fights but eventually stopped when I realized I had reduced the rest of my party to bystanders to just keep the mobs' attention while she destroyed them all. I'm generally all for breaking things but it was too much even for me (not that I'm calling for a nerf, just use them responsibly).

Yes, it tends to become a one-man-show. Same with Berserker/Beckoner with Grave Calling (Chilling Grave): everything gets automatically taylored towards that guy sinc he can end most encounters in an instant as soon as he gets his skellies out... It's too good to be fun.

With SC Monk you do at least have to take a longer path until you finally get the big reward (Resonsant Touch and then Whispers of the Wind) - but with Berseker/Beckoner you can go wild as soon as you buy/steal Grave Calling and do the rel. easy/cheap enchantment:

grave_calling-min.gif?dl=1

That's lvl 9 only and I could've done that way earlier, too. It's fun for a short time but I can't do a whole playthrough with that sort of cheese. It's too good and gets boring pretty fast. Besides that it also kills the framerate. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Blunderbusses are kind of hilariously OP. I feel like they just break the game with so many different builds (heart of fury, whispers of the wind, resonance, avenging storm, etc). When I realized it, I used monk xoti to tear a new hole through some fights but eventually stopped when I realized I had reduced the rest of my party to bystanders to just keep the mobs' attention while she destroyed them all. I'm generally all for breaking things but it was too much even for me (not that I'm calling for a nerf, just use them responsibly).

yeah, i wouldn't really call them OP in the strict sense but they do reward metagaming (in M:TG parlance I would call it a combo engine). It's kind of like Salvation of Time; on its own it's probably one of the most mediocre AL6 spells around, but the interaction with a bunch of different things in the game that you need to have metagaming knowledge about is what really gives it its power.

I think you're probably overselling both. Not that I don't think the GIF is awsomesauce -- it's just that enemies are rarely that grouped up, and on PoTD I think you're going to take a ton of damage from the ones that matter (Fampyr Cave, Sea-Lashed Crypt entrance, Ukaizo, maybe others in FS (Sissak's Nest, Librarians) ... I could be wrong, feel free to post vids, happy to learn.

I can say that I've been testing out solo PoTD upscaled Monk builds using WotW and blunderbusses, and it still is not crazy OP on mobs like the above - I've died more times than I like, testing.  Maybe i need to learn2play, but I don't want people here to come away with the wrong impression.

How can you die when being invisible? Usually you can spam WotW - for example as a Nalpasca + Enduring Dance - and stay invisible until it's time to trigger Resonant Touch.

Also with Whispers of the Wind +blunderbuss (not speaking about mortars here, normal blunderbuss) the enemies don't need to be standing close together. As long as you have two enemies and let's say 10 jumps of WotW you will do 42 hit rolls to them. Let's say your Resonant Touch does 20 raw damage - that's 800 raw damage on top of your pierce damage on two enemies. And when meeting packed mobs just switch to mortars. THis will not kill all enemies (for example pierce immune ones) - but it will kill most enemies quickly. A LOT more quickly than fists would do.

But we are not speaking about solo. In solo you need a lot of other things, first of all survivability of some form. A good solo character isn't necessarily a good party character.

In a party other members can keep the enemy busy while you prepare the one-shot-cheese. And while those chars couldn't function solo because they would get killed while trying to set up their special move - they are certainly OP in a party.

I played FS with a blunderbuss SC Monk with a party (as you can see in the one vid where I am in an FS map) and Librarians, Luminous Spore, everybody - they just die. Especially when also adding Avenging Storm to the mix. The other party members just stand around after initial buffing.

With Grave Calling's Chillfog it's even more OP:

It profits from all weapon enchantments and dmg bonuses (including Sneak Attack, Deathblows and even Backstab if you put yourself into the midst of a group while being invisible from Vanishing Strike). You will only need some skeletons and you will do more than 60 freeze dmg per pulse + paralyzing the enemy with every crit (Grave Bound - remember: all weapon enchantments). And once you meet freeze immune foes grab Hel Beckoning and do exactly the same with Will o'Whisps + Noxious Burst. If they are immune to both they will still get paralyzed with every crit. And if there are enemies you can't be beaten by it - that doesn't mean it's OP.

With a SC Monk it even gets more weird: Chilling Grave/Grave Bound not only paralyzes the enemies but also adds Resonant Touches...  

You can't tell me that both things are not OP. They trivialize more than 90% of encounters. They don't need a nerf in my opinion though because few people will actually enjoy cheesing that much. As I said with Monk it's usually ok since you only get there at the highest levels. So the road to the cheese reward is kind of long until you can enjoy it and feel satisfied. Only thing I would remove id Blinding Smoke triggering Avenging Storm. That also can be abused superearly in the game and trivialize most encounters. Will it win you all solo challenges? Maybe not - but that's not a criteria for being OP. OP means it's a lot more powerful than the usual. And that both things are.

Hell I just killed Fyrgist's crew in a boarding fight in less than 20 secs with Chilling Grave. Being Lvl 8...  :blink:

Edited by Boeroer

Mortar(s) can be a little underwhelming (in the matter of pursuing ultimate OP) on SC hellwalker solo, I think that's what brasilgringo ment. Especially that You can have just one, don't invest in arcana and do no rest run. Blunderbusses on the other way are more usefull. BTW Boeroer 10 jumps of WotW? That's like +10PL

Edited by Waski
  • Like 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Yeah that was hyperbole. :)

But with Prestige + Power Surge Potion of Ascension + Empower you can get to 10 jumps I guess.

As I said: not necessarily OP when doing a solo game (although for most encounters I would still think it's the best option even when going solo. Use Sparkcrackers and then go...).

And which persuable ultimate OP options are there for solo anyway? You always have to adapt to the tough enemies when doing a solo game.  

Edit: you'll have to add Wellspring of Life or get another passive +1 PL bonus that I don't know of. 

Edited by Boeroer

With +4 PL(prestige, food, potion)

I have +7 jumps, each PL is 0.5 jump, so I am missing +6PL?? Can't see how I can reach +10, or +9(another +4PL on top of I have) depends how we counting. Or am I wrong somewhere(possible)??? I would like to have more jumps...

Aaa, empowerment. No go for me

Edited by Waski
  • Like 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

I just checked and you can get +10 PL bonus with Monk (so 5 additional jumps):

Wellspring + Potion of Ascension  + Prestige + Empower = 10 jumps. There you go. It's silly but possible. ;)

Why is Empowerment a no-go?

Keeper of the Flame cannot do what mortars do because the AoE doesn't jump like Fire in the Hole's Chain Shot, its AoE damage is lower (you have to skill Religion to make it worthwhile and even then you generate a lot fewer Resonant Touches) and it has only one damage type. And it's only one AoE weapon where dual mortars are two. The only good things are that Magran's Wrath seems to bypass AR completely despite it having a PEN value and that it triggers Avenging Storm.

But... isn't it bad to have to skill Religion in order to get more AoE damage - in a solo run? At least it was with Arcana. ;)

It is the inferior weapon most of the time when dealing with mobs. Also comes pretty late. 

Also Blinding Smoke from Hand Mortar causes -10 Reflex. And mortars target Reflex...

Blunderbusses (mortars and blunderbusses) are most likely the best weapon choice for a SC Monk at high levels. I mean if you want to pick your tools and stick to them.  

Edited by Boeroer

If you are doing PotD solo runs you should know when to use what I'd say. 

Your own restrictions (no rest and so on) can't be used to judge something in general. That judgement is only valid in that scope then.

Anyway - the initial statement (why I posted the gifs) was that those weapon combos are so OP in a party environment that it's no fun because everything only evolves around triggering that certain effect. 

Edited by Boeroer

Yes, we have put the topic off track. And my remarks was about monks and mortars. IMHO Keeper of the Flame is better for lv20 solo monk, that's all. With Scordeo in main I am back to 10 wounds after WotW thanks to self damage and I can spam it back immediately, AoE from flail stunts with Ajamuut Cloak hits for more than 20 damage and I wouldn't be surprised if it benefits from Adaptive(not tested) . Extra procs from crit and blade cascade on top of it. I lose just resonance because I am stacking it on myself too

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

My point was that at least solo on PoTD upscaled - what I said above - they don't seem that OP to me.  And I'm dying in areas like the Fampyr Cave or Sea-Lashed Crypt when the encounter starts and I'm trying to set up my buffs, like Stone of Power and Potion of Ascencion, and the Swift Flurry / Tenacious / Dance clicks, and maybe casting Avenging Storm via a scroll, if they get lucky hits in or KD me.  They do a lot of ranged damage as well.  And I do seem to become visible between WotW casts, though perhaps that's because i need to slow down my game speed.  If I get the timing right*, I can kill them for sure, but generally it's razor-edge stuff on a solo helwalker.  On the Ukaizo guardian, I haven't yet made it through a fight - and that's with using Blunderbusses/WotW on him and the titans ... i ultimately run out of healing and die (yes, I should try it carrying full stack of multiple healing potions).

Ref jumps - what Waski said, no-rest run solo w/o empower, no godlike because need the hat slot*.  Prestige + Stone of Power + Potions (sometimes)

My point is, on these harder encounters, it doesn't feel OP solo. 

I remember when I ran monk in a party, there were at least a few fights in SSS arena where also the blunderbuss / resonance stacking wasn't enough - particuarly I remember that one where every time you kill a razorback it turns into a larger razorback being very difficult, and I know there were others.  OK, maybe i need to L2P, but i'm just saying for the average joe, I don't think this should be oversold. 

(*interrupt protection via wound & revku hat necessary)

Edited by brasilgringo

I finished SSS some weeks ago with a mortar Monk in the party and is was easy as pie. *ratatatata* Everyone was near dead and *pouf* Resonant Touch and they were really dead.

Granted I had my whole party set up for this (Aloth with Dazzling Lights + Pull of Eora and Miasma, Xoti with Sigil of Rymrgand and so on).

And I repeat: What is overpowered in solo PotD upscaled in the first place?

Edited by Boeroer

Solo and across the whole game certainly nothing. Some build can make some parts of game  less challanging or even easy on PotD. Mortar monk for sure belongs to top tier. But small part of the players limit themselves to solo and don't have access to Fire in the Hole. 

not a mortar monk against quiet 5, once again sorry for bringing thread so far from the topic

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg