What procs combusting wounds, Can Chanters chants proc it?

My bet goes to "every damage instance that goes through attack resolution", just like in PoE1. So it rules out all DoTs, but includes periodic damage.

Edited by MaxQuest

^ It doesn't include chanter chants, with the exception of Many Lives Pass By, Each Leaving Footprints.

That skeleton's attacks will trigger Combusting Wounds :)

P.S. Wall spells, beams and recursive AoE attacks are at the moment along the strongest triggers for CW.

Edited by MaxQuest

Hmmm yeah i was trying to think of some type of silly tank build.

Was thinking of Fire Godlike, Patinated Plate, Magrans Blessing, Sun and Moon flail,  Blood mage / Unbroken focusing on combusted wounds, self buffs, retaliation effect from magrans blessing to help proc combusting wounds along with casting the wall spells and everything.

So i guess my next question is, Are engagement slots really important to tanking or can i drop Fighter altogether?

So i guess my next question is, Are engagement slots really important to tanking or can i drop Fighter altogether?

When you engage an enemy:

- you will get a free full attack (with bonus acc and damage) on enemy, if he decides to move away from you (unless he uses an ability that break engagement).

- also you decrease the chance that he will go for another target in the first place (unless he uses an ability that break engagement).

Having n engagement slots, means you can engage n enemies at the same time. Additionally there are some engagement related items, whose effect increases proportionally to number of outcoming or incoming engagements.

Also, if I am not mistaken (so correct me if I am), there are 4 sources of Flanked:

- sandwich flanking: when 1 enemy is in front and 1 in the back

- front flanking: when you have n engagement slots, but face n+1 enemies

- perception afflictions

- direct debuff: like Phantom Foes

In this case, engagement slots also help vs getting flanked from the front.

So to answer your question... engagement slots are not really important, unless you make a specific build, or have a tactician that often gets front-flanked. Or it could actually be your intention... to have a melee tactician who switches between Squid's Grasp and a ranged weapon, back and forth...

Edited by MaxQuest

My bet goes to "every damage instance that goes through attack resolution", just like in PoE1. So it rules out all DoTs, but includes periodic damage.

In PoE1 periodic damage also seemed to trigger combusting wounds. I randomly discovered this because come, come + combusting wounds = dead enemies very very rapidly.

Also, if I am not mistaken (so correct me if I am), there are 4 sources of Flanked:

- sandwich flanking: when 1 enemy is in front and 1 in the back

- front flanking: when you have n engagement slots, but face n+1 enemies

- perception afflictions

- direct debuff: like Phantom Foes

I don't think front flanking is a thing? otherwise any vanilla melee-er would instantly flank themselves just from attacking one enemy.

there are some effects that make it harder to do to sandwich flanking (increasing the number of required foes), perhaps you're mixing it up with that?

In PoE1 periodic damage also seemed to trigger combusting wounds. I randomly discovered this because come, come + combusting wounds = dead enemies very very rapidly.

Combusting Wounds behavior slightly varied across versions. I've seen players mentioning that it was working with DoTs or being bugged. But I know for sure that it wasn't triggering at all in v3.02, and was fixed in v3.03. Here's a related post about it.

I don't think front flanking is a thing? otherwise any vanilla melee-er would instantly flank themselves just from attacking one enemy.

there are some effects that make it harder to do to sandwich flanking (increasing the number of required foes), perhaps you're mixing it up with that?

Indeed I could mix those up, that's why I left that remark :)

I remember this post by Kaylon about flanking/engagement in PoE1. And it also could mix with what I experienced in Deadfire.

Also it is unclear what to make of "One Stands Alone" (requires an additional threatening enemy to become flanked). Do you need 1 enemy from front, and 2 from behind? Or you need 1 from front, 1 from behind and doesn't matter where the 3rd is standing?

otherwise any vanilla melee-er would instantly flank themselves just from attacking one enemy.

I was under impression that:

- have ranged weapon equipped: 0 engagement slots

- have melee weapon equipped: +1 engagement slot

- have shield equipped: +1 engagement slot

No?

Edited by MaxQuest

Combusting Wounds behavior slightly varied across versions. I've seen players mentioning that it was working with DoTs or being bugged. But I know for sure that it wasn't triggering at all in v3.02, and was fixed in v3.03. Here's a related post about it.

i feel like it was one of my most recent poe1 run was where i discovered the come come + combusting interaction, because i was deliberately running a character to import into Deadfire at release (so 2018). (ironically i never did end up importing this chanter.) but it's been at least a year since even then so i'm not willing to put money on it :)

Indeed I could mix those up, that's why I left that remark :)

I remember this post by Kaylon about flanking/engagement in PoE1. And it also could mix with what I experienced in Deadfire.

Also it is unclear what to make of "One Stands Alone" (requires an additional threatening enemy to become flanked). Do you need 1 enemy from front, and 2 from behind? Or you need 1 from front, 1 from behind and doesn't matter where the 3rd is standing?

I think the game checks for flanking if and only if you have at least one character on one side, and another characterly roughly on the other "half" of the enemy. If you have things that require more enemies to flank, you just need additional melee-ers at any direction to trigger flanking once the initial condition has passed. (I believe this is a change from PoE1. My own gamefaqs PoE1 guide independently comes to the same findings as Kaylon did apparently.)

otherwise any vanilla melee-er would instantly flank themselves just from attacking one enemy.

I was under impression that:

- have ranged weapon equipped: 0 engagement slots

- have melee weapon equipped: +1 engagement slot

- have shield equipped: +1 engagement slot

No?

have ranged weapon equipped: 0 engagement slots

have melee weapon equipped: 0 engagement slots <-- big change from PoE1

have shield equipped: +1 engagement slot

IME the change about the melee weapon thing ironically makes it much easier for squishies in early parts of the game because many kith enemies have no actual way to lock you down.

i would have to literally eat my hat if i'm wrong about this. Persistent distraction's most important effect to me is the +1 engagement, since now your rogue will actually stop enemies trying to pass you or flee (at least without you having to use spear modal or equip a shield). (edit: scratching my memories, my most recent run I was only able to survive a fight in dunnage i was way underleveled for because i was down to two characters and could just juggle the two enemy kith over and over again because they had no engagement, despite having melee weapons.)

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1