Cloud Gaming or Game as a service

Zafar1981

I don't think cloud gaming will EVER be the primary foundation for any new console/computer gaming system.

As Microsoft tried to do this with the "always on" Xbox One when the console was first announced at E3 and we saw the negative reaction. Problem is that for cloud gaming you have to always be connected to the net and even though we all have the internet, there are times when a storm knocks out a satelite or maybe your digital provider's server goes down... maybe PSN or Microsoft getd hacked?

Point is, it's never a good idea to force customers into an always connected lifestyle of gaming as opposed to physical and digital games installed.

Also, I could just imagine the lag issue if say your modem/router is having a bad day or if the servers cannot handle a load or some hacker ddos'x the servers on a major holiday so nobody can game via cloud at all.

All these are quite valid reasons to why Cloud Gaming will never be the mainy.

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just want to know if you guys really think that cloud gaming is the future

No.

• Like 7
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just want to know if you guys really think that cloud gaming is the future or agree with Sony CFO that they will continue with console gaming.

In 10 years maybe, same as VR. :p

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Eventually I see it being like TV, where streaming games becomes more accepted over a generation. But it doesn't seem like we are that close yet. Can you imagine what it will take to stream Red Dead Redemption 2 with full horse testicular fidelity?

It's never going to fully replace hard copies.

• Like 4

Just want to know if you guys really think that cloud gaming is the future

No.
No.

To big latency for a lot of games. For me any fightning game is unplayable even now over internet, because of the input lag. Now imagine the input lag being 2-3x bigger between input and the action on screen.

Same with racing or any other game which requires fast reaction. And people are to much spoiled by real time 4K already. There is not good enough cable infrastructure in 90% of the world, to be able to stream that bandwidth heavy graphics.

So unless there will be big datacentre less than 100km away from my house, I will stay and play indies and old games until the end of my life, if gaming became streaming live service only.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Eventually I see it being like TV, where streaming games becomes more accepted over a generation. But it doesn't seem like we are that close yet. Can you imagine what it will take to stream Red Dead Redemption 2 with full horse testicular fidelity?

It's never going to fully replace hard copies.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-ceo-project-xcloud-netflix-for-games/

Well, the hardware, consoles that is,  doesn't generate much revenue, sometimes they are even sold with a loss. Imagine you are Sony or Microsoft and you could have the same control over your marketplace and have no piracy and so on, and not be limited to selling to people who have bought your hardware. That's what gaming streaming services offer. 

It's a way to create a tectonic shift in the way people access  games. Think of all the people who would never buy their hardware for any reason. There is currently no way for Sony or Microsoft to get their business with the titles offered exclusively on consoles. A streaming service just pushes frames to the end user, so there is really no need for a PC port. I think eventually, in like 10-20 years or so, this development will kill off consoles. They are extra hardware no one needs. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm not sure on 10-20 years, only because people tend to be slow to change and there is still a lot of infrastructure that needs to be built. I mean, realistically cable and satellite TV can't compete with the value or quality of many streaming options today, and yet they still seem to control a large share of the market.

But yeah, eventually the tech will change enough to get Mam War some decent broadband. :)

I had a student a report on mesh networking today too. No need for a data center down the road if that tech gains momentum.

Edited by Hurlshot

I have pretty decent broadband, good enough for streaming on twitch in 1080p, just latency sucks if the dedicated servers for my games are outside of central europe ;)

Just want to know if you guys really think that cloud gaming is the future or agree with Sony CFO that they will continue with console gaming.

If cloud gaming is the future, then gaming is not in my future. 

I suspect that there are enough people to constitute a market for single player, story driven games. 

• Like 1

Even if there was free large bandwidth/high speed Internet for everyone, cloud gaming wouldn't be ideal or beneficial. With drm, at least all the non-supporters still buy a game with Denuvo but this, well, cloud streaming would be extreme.

No mods, no control of internal files and every other paranoid illusion the anti-cult have created. It's their worst nightmare LOL!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hehe.

For people who don't want to buy costly or bulky hardware but still want to be able to play (technically, visually) high-end games I think it's a nice option.

You will also not fill your harddrives with lots of installed game instances and savegames etc.

All in all I think it's maybe more attractive or casual or "convenience" gamers that don't care for mods etc. but just want to switch the thing on and play all sorts of new games.

Like people who like to use Netflix etc. and are not that much interested in special versions like Director's Cut, commentaries, special sound options and so on but just want to switch on the TV, see that one movie/series and that's it.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

This is my take on it. Make it convenient and at a cost that people are okay with, and the transition will happen. Not too dissimilar to things like digital distribution platforms. Could probably argue it's just the next step?  Heck steam was effective for combating some of the casual piracy among some of my friends because it was a bit more hassle free to just download and run a game on Steam than to go ISO hunting.

I couldn't say how close we are. There's likely a need for pretty intense bandwidth infrastructure (or improvements in compression and delivery) that need to be done though. That said, if it's *just* about sending an image on your screen... it might be mitigated somewhat. But for that to be the case we'd need spectacular latency to mitigate input lag and so forth. I'm not sure it'll happen "soon" (in whatever ambiguity "soon" means though).

Yeah I think Steam help fight piracy but at same time it was still mostly buying full games once. I think if anything those games as service will atribute to piracy getting raise again

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ironic that we go back to dumb clients and mainframes :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And bad graphics and lantency :p

Am i correct that a game as a service is only multiplayer game.

No, 'game as a service' can mean several things, depending on who you ask.

a) Yes, it can also be a MP game which, without dedicated servers, will only function as long as the developer/publisher actively supports it

b) 'Games as a service' may also be a term used to refer to subscription-based game streaming - in other words, you pay a monthly subscription like you would for Netflix, you never install a game on your computer but instead stream it from servers provided by the publisher - therefore, the publisher has full control over which version of a game do you play and whether you can even play it.

A lighter version of this is something that, say, EA already does with Origin, where the games you're subscribed to are installed on your hard drive, but they phone home more or less every time you try to start them to see whether you can still play them.

c) 'Game as a service' may be even be a SP game which, however, requires semi-constant internet connection to support a constant stream of developer updates and content additions (like Ass Creed: Odyssey) while, at the same time, constantly offering players microtransactions in case they wish to skip some of the grind (which I understand wasn't really present in Ass Creed Odyssey on release, but that may change - see the bit about constant stream of developer updates)

Edited by Fenixp