Turn based: intelligence benefit for durations

How does the duration benefit from intelligence work in turn based? If a duration of 3 turns is increased by 50%, is it now 4 turns or 5? What if it is increased by 40% or 60%? Are certain levels of intelligence now "wasted" in this particular benefit?

Intelligence is useless on duration because it is rounded down which means you need 20 intelligence to get extra round on most buffs. Having 20 int or 7 int wont make difference on most durations.

I wouldn't strictly call it useless, but there is a big disparity between short-lasting durations and long lasting durations. I believe that 6 seconds translates directly to 1 round, and all durations are rounded down to the nearest factor of 6 - e.g. arcane veil lasts 12 base and you need enough int/power level to make it last 18 seconds before you get it for 3 rounds. This means it's straightforward to get more out of long lasting buffs (e.g. 4 round or 24 second buff with +50% duration goes up to 6 rounds) while its impossible to get short-lasting buffs for long (e.g. At the Sound of His Voice has 4 seconds base... so you'd need +200% duration to get it to 2 rounds duration).

In other words, int got nerfed because rounds use more discrete values and should affect per-round value rather than its per-second translation (e.g. a 1 round buff should last 2 turns at +100% duration).

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the feedback about Intelligence and duration and how they are affected in Turn-Based Mode.  We have a few other posts about how duration has been affected in TBM and the team is going to go over all the data and consider some options and what they may or may not want to change.  if you have any further feedback about this, please continue to post about it as the team filters in and out of the forums for feedback.

Thanks again for the help!

Intelligence is useless on duration because it is rounded down which means you need 20 intelligence to get extra round on most buffs. Having 20 int or 7 int wont make difference on most durations.

at the moment, what INT does is simply for larger AoE, I have Tekehu druid, casting Foe Only magic that encompasses most of the map is kinda insane. For now I stat INT at normal default value of 10 for my main. 

at the moment, what INT does is simply for larger AoE, I have Tekehu druid, casting Foe Only magic that encompasses most of the map is kinda insane. For now I stat INT at normal default value of 10 for my main. 

Agreed. I gave up on a chanter build when I realized I could not get any of my summons or debuffs to last extra rounds, because of how short duration things are by default on Chanter. You are meant to constantly apply low duration abilities, but that really does not work in turn based very well. 

One problem I found with this is that while spells display their base duration in rounds (which are 6 seconds not 5), they're actually still based on seconds and then converted back into rounds at the end. The problem with this is that you can't tell how long something will be once modifiers are applied. Say a spell says it has a duration of 1 round and I have 14 intelligence, so a +20% duration bonus. Now the spell might actually have a duration of 6 seconds, in which case my bonus bumps it up to 7.2 seconds, still one round. Or it might have a base duration of 10 seconds and get bumped to 12 seconds, 2 rounds. And there's no way to know which it will be when looking at the character sheet or on the level up screen, you'll only see the modified duration on the ability pop-up from your cast bar.

I feel like this is more evidence of how difficult it is to take a system designed for seconds and convert it into rounds and another reason why I prefer an ATB-like speed based system rather than strict rounds. But if they're going to stick with this setup, please fix the tooltips so we know what we're getting.

All of this said, props to Obsidian and that one guy for making TB in the first place. It's a huge amount of work that they didn't have to do.

Edited by arkteryx